AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are new to this whole game. We would like a 42-47" monitor for our family room. Low light, @10 foot viewing area. We already have a cable set up with Comcast, so don't need a tuner. Don't do games, like DVDS, NBC, ESPN, DISNEY, etc. WHat's the best bang for the buck, and even the best bang? I can't understand much of the hi- techie talk I've scanned thru, so please, guys, in laymans terms if possible! Thanks.(COLOR=Indigo)xxx(/COLOR)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Movies + TV watching + sports = plasma

Games = LCD monitors

Can't get more layman than that, pretty lady!

·
Registered
20 Posts
With a plasma you are going to have a better picture. It gives you better depth of image and color. You also get a wider viewing angle with a plasma. The one Con is that a Plasma is prone to image burn in when a static image is left on the screen too long. An LCD is better for bright rooms that create lots of reflections. LCD are also not pron to image burn in like a plasma is.

I recommend plasma.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kday55 /forum/post/0

My husband and I are new to this whole game. We would like a 42-47" monitor for our family room. Low light, @10 foot viewing area. We already have a cable set up with Comcast, so don't need a tuner. Don't do games, like DVDS, NBC, ESPN, DISNEY, etc. WHat's the best bang for the buck, and even the best bang? I can't understand much of the hi- techie talk I've scanned thru, so please, guys, in laymans terms if possible! Thanks.(COLOR=Indigo)xxx(/COLOR)

First welcome.

I suggest narrowing the field so you can focus on a decision.

(1) Type: Given your use and that you have good lighting, I would strongly recommend you consider nothing but plasma. If you find for some reason that you are considering something else, from the dark side, come back and we can discuss this further.

(2) Size: Given your viewing distance, I would recommend absolutely nothing smaller than 50". 60" would be perfect at that distance for a "wide screen" experience but at the moment 60" comes at quite a price premium. 50" is the sweetspot as they say for plasma displays.

(3) Resolution: At that distance, you need not consider 1080p resolution, which is also limited at the present and very expensive. So 768p is fine and affordable. Again if you are tempted we can discuss this further. This is just a brief summary.

(4) Brands: There are a number of quality makers of plasma displays. Each is styled differently and so compatability with your home decor may or may not be important to you but that and the weight you give it is entirely a personal choice. You will also need to consider features such as a memory stick viewer for digital photo viewing that some displays have. Only you can weigh these for your family. As far as picture quality (PQ) goes, you will find many opinions here. Personally, I place NEC at the top followed closely by Pioneer Elite. Next I would put Pioneer and Panasonic with Samsung catching up with each generation.

While there are other brands, you should be able to find a display that suits your needs and makes you happy among these. There are extensive threads on each.

I would also encourage you to consider purchase from a forum sponsor either those at the top or the bottom of the plasma forum screen. Chris at Cleveland Plasma has a particularly good reputation for both price and service but give one of them a chance.

Should you go to stores to view displays, you should know that stores are often the worst environments in which to view but unfortunately we have no other. Just be sure to obtain the remotes and adjust the picture settings for a natural picture or any comparisons or judgements you make will be missleading and meaningless. There are any number of posts that address this. Certainly take them out of vivid or dynamic modes, adjust brightness for black (shadow) detail and contrast for white level, and moderate the color hue or saturation to obtain as natural a picture including skin tone as you can.

Also make sure you view at the distance you expect to have at home and never view out in the middle of a store having bright, harsh lighting.

Let us know what you observe and any more specific questions that then come to mind.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt. It can be fun. Hope you find it so.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
467 Posts
Burn-in should not be a deal breaking decision when deciding on Plasma vs. LCD as it is VERY difficult to burn-in these latest generation Plasma's. As many have already stated, unless you game A LOT, plasma is going to offer the best PQ. One more thing to consider, Pioneer has just announced that they have reduced the precharge black levels of thier plasma's by 80% (black level is just about the most important aspect of picture quality), these plasma's are said to be released this summer. If you have not bought anything yet I would probably say that it is worth the wait.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Kday, you want a 42" plasma TV, unless you want to pay a few more $$$ for a 50".

If you want top-of-the-line, go for the Pioneer (I avoided because of the price premium).

If you want the deepest blacks, go for the Panasonics (my runner-up choice).

If you want lots of features and good performance on lots of levels (but not necessarily the best in any one area), go for the Philips 9631 (I have this).

You should go for a plasma.....decide on the size (cost may enter into your decision; figure on spending about $1,500 for a 42" and closer to $2,000 for a 50").....then read the user thread for the particular models you want. Each has special features that make it unique (Pioneer has pristine PQ; Panasonic has best blacks; Philips has features including Ambilight and PixelPlus for SD).

You won't go wrong with any of them. Just decide if one is uniquely best for you.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask questions !!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
A lot of good replies. I'd also vote for plasma, but I saw disney on your list. If you've got kids who watch a lot of cartoons... cartoons are one of the few things my kids prefer to watch on LCD over plasma. LCD's can make a nice bright, digital looking picture. Plasmas tend to be more "real life and/or movie like" in my opinion.

I also agree with the suggested brands, they are all "top mid tier". I would also add Vizio at the bottom of the list. They have a halfway decent reputation for the next tier down. LG seems to be moving up that bottom tier also. I didn't look into those closely myself, as the price differentation has narrowed between the tiers considerably in the last year.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

I concur with Frost147. PDPs are best suited for HD programming & viewing movies/shows on DVD. PDPs generally perform better with fast action (e.g. sports) content and will achieve better contrast ratio's (deeper blacks / brighter whites) than LCD. LCD displays are best suited for applications (e.g. video games) that could lead to permanent image retention (a.k.a. burn in) and do not suffer from screen washout or reflections during daytime viewing like CRT TVs and plasma displays.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If you are going to go plasma, which sounds like a good fit according to your lighting and viewing habits, here are the sets that are at the top of my list for a 10ft viewing distance (both are 50")...

Pioneer 5070/1HD

Panasonic 50PX60u

If you think a 50" is to big, these are the 42" counterparts...

Pioneer 4270/1HD

Panasonic 42PX60u

If you hit up the forum sponsors at the top and bottom of these forums, you will find that the Pioneers are going to cost a little more than the panasonics, but the price difference is quickly diminishing. I have the Pioneer 5071HD at a 10-11ft viewing distance, and feel it is the perfect fit. I could have squeezed a 60" in there if I wanted, but the 50" plasma prices are definately the sweet spot of the technology these days.

Dustin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't believe how helpful everyone is! Thank you! Right now , we've narrowed it to these 2: Panasonic prfessional -TH42PH0UK and the 50"version. At Visual Apex we can get a 5 year warranty for either. There is about a thousand dollar difference.....As far as the DIsney, by the way, our kids are college age and I think I meant Discovery. Oops. I haven't looked at the prices for the NEC which I've never heard of yet, and the Pioneer Elite. Sounds like they are pricier...whatt do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:

I can't believe how helpful everyone is! Thank you! Right now , we've narrowed it to these 2: Panasonic prfessional -TH42PH0UK and the 50"version. At Visual Apex we can get a 5 year warranty for either. There is about a thousand dollar difference.....As far as the DIsney, by the way, our kids are college age and I think I meant Discovery. Oops. I haven't looked at the prices for the NEC which I've never heard of yet, and the Pioneer Elite. Sounds like they are pricier...whatt do you guys think?

Do you mean the 9UK model for panasonic? If so, those are very nice displays, but be aware that they do not come with speakers or tuners, so if you need those you have to purchase them seperately.

Dustin

·
Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost147 /forum/post/0

Movies + TV watching + sports = plasma

Games = LCD monitors

Can't get more layman than that, pretty lady!

How about blurring/ghosting on fast moving scenes (typical on games or sports programming)? LCDs are prone to this, regardless of their manufacturer's timing specs.

I'd vote for a Plasma; if you have a Costco/Sams/Circuit City nearby, checkout the Vizios and Toshibas, which are quite affordable:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.