AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Blu-ray writer which I use to watch Blu-ray films on my TV using PowerDVD Ultra which works fine.

I have an XBox 360 HD-DVD drive connected with drivers (so I can see the files on the discs), I want to use WinDVD HD version to watch HD-DVD movies, I can load up the software fine, but when I put in an HD-DVD disc it brings up a black box (takes up 3/4 of my screen), it's not windowed (no title bar etc), it flashes multi-coloured (sometimes the whole thing changes coloour, sometimes it's made up of loads of different coloured squares) then it dissapears, all in under a second

now, another thing I've noticed is that the WinDVD codecs seem to crash Windows Media Player if I play h.264 files from my HDD and the HD-DVD I have (like most of them) is encoded in h.264, so I have a utility that can set priority of codecs and I've dropped the WinDVD ones right down so Windows Media Player uses the PowerDVD codecs which work fine.

I've re-installed Windows and tried again but the codecs still don't work

does anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help/ideas

· Registered
322 Posts
Very few people here have both, but apparently Cyberlink has confirmed that PowerDVD ultra will work with blu-ray OR HD DVD, but not both simultaneously. What has been done by others to get around this limitation is to set up a dual boot system in which one next-gen drive is enabled in one instance and the other in the other instance. You have to install the software separately on the two instances of Windows with the correct drive enabled to get it to install the correct version of PowerDVD.

· Registered
2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace /forum/post/0

I have an XBox 360 HD-DVD drive connected with drivers (so I can see the files on the discs), I want to use WinDVD HD version to watch HD-DVD movies, I can load up the software fine, but when I put in an HD-DVD disc it brings up a black box (takes up 3/4 of my screen), it's not windowed (no title bar etc), it flashes multi-coloured (sometimes the whole thing changes coloour, sometimes it's made up of loads of different coloured squares) then it dissapears, all in under a second

I have read in various places that WinDVD 8 Platinum requires a plugin to play back HD-DVD: it doesn't need the plugin for VC-1 decoding, but for AACS handling I think.

The rumour was that the plugin may not be available until Feb 07 for USA version of WinDVD.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello WA! (been to your city a few times, "we're the Eagles, the Westcoast Eagles" and all that!)

I have the HD-DVD/Blu-ray version (it asks you which you want to install) and it reads the HD-DVD and does the black/multicoloured screen bit when it looks like it's about to play the disc

looks like I'll have to wait for the PowerDVD version that plays both or for Nero to release the HD-DVD version of Showtime

· Registered
1,242 Posts
I was told by a nero rep at CES last week that it was GTG right now with enhanced. :\\

They were running demos using Nero, a HTPC and a 360 drive all over the place. He did give me a demo disc, I'll have to check and see if it's different from the Nero I downloaded a few weeks ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.