AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really appreciate any help i can get!

I purchased a Panasonic HDC SD800 last month thinking or it appeared to be a good product on paper and just last week i upgraded my G5 iMac to the new Intel quad core, i5 & 4GB RAM.

Please note that all my recording will be just streakily for personal/family.

Issues:I started recording in 60p and i noticed that no matter what software i use from I movie to final cut proX, non of the them can even open the data (VPL)from the cam unless if i record in AVCHD/HG format.

After some research i found a software that will allow me to convert the 60p to mpeg. The software called Final Mate by Aunsoft (see link below) http://www.aunsoft.com/final-mate-mac/

Do i need to return my Mac and purchase a window PC? or just forget about the 60p stuff?

Can i store my recordings (60p) in a Hard drive and be able to watch it on TV?

Any advise i will greatly appreciated.

Joseph

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulma /forum/post/20819295

I really appreciate any help i can get!....Can i store my recordings (60p) in a Hard drive and be able to watch it on TV?.....

Joseph,

I have done that with a Sony S570 Blu-Ray player and a WD Live TV media player.

You might read the .pdf instructions for the HD Writer software that came with your camera to get an idea of what it will do and how it does it. (The instructions are on the disc.) It rarely gets glowing compliments from the experienced video geeks because it is not as "cool" as Vegas or Final Cut. But, because it is directly focused on beginners (like you and me) and only has to deal with what our Panasonic cameras produce, it is effective and relatively quick.

HD writer catalogs, clips, splits, joins, makes titles and transitions. No special effects and no control over audio. It outputs to YouTube, DVD or iPhone. If you use it to catalog your video it allows you to put selected or edited video back on an SD card if you want to use the camcorder as a player.

And yes, since the Panasonic camcorder can make 60p, it will handle it.

I don't own a Mac, but don't the newest ones have some sort of window for Windows stuff? It might run fine on you computer.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

It really makes sense. But i can't even open the supplied disk that came with the cam.

I my options are:

1-Purchase a windows 7 for mac.

2-Do you suggest that i should Purchase a tower (PC) with a large HD and extra RAM just so i can install the supplied disk/use it.

I can justify buying a tower thinking that i will have to buy an external HD and a software to open/edit my recordings.

Thank you Bill for the tip.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'm hoping you don't have to buy anything. Instead, I'm hoping a Mac geek can tell you how to run the software that came with your camera. Then if you like what it does, you can use it.

HD Writer forces some discipline on you. If you don't use it to catalog and store you stuff, it won't let you use it later. The camcorder makes small accessory files for each clip that are required for HD Writer. No other software that I know of needs them. With them HD Writer makes some of the things we hobby videographers want to do easy.

I think you have ver 3.0 with the 800. If your Mac can't open a .pdf on the disk, you can find a manual for 1.0 here: http://www.panasonic.ru/upload/ibloc...%201.0_eng.pdf

If you google "HD Writer" you will also find a video that shows how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odloixQ-IsA

I'm always tempted to buy a tower with a big load of memory, storage and graphics capability. But, I like laptops and have a recent mid price Toshiba that run Windows 7, Windows Media Player, Windows Live Movie Maker, Adobe Premier Elements 9, Photoshop Elements 9 and HD Writer 2.7. It will also plug directly into my 55 inch flatscreen TV and work like a player. My favorite "player" so far is really the WD Live TV. It is not expensive like a computer, uses any USB storage and plays everything with menus and a remote.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulma /forum/post/20820164

Bill,

It really makes sense. But i can't even open the supplied disk that came with the cam.

I have an iMac, and I edit the 1080/60p using iMovie. You just need to rewrap the mts files to m4v and they can be imported directly into iMovie. I've described how here: http://www.ianperegian.com/My_FZ35_3...rn_a_disk.html

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianperegian /forum/post/20821605

I have an iMac, and I edit the 1080/60p using iMovie. You just need to rewrap the mts files to m4v and they can be imported directly into iMovie. I've described how here: http://www.ianperegian.com/My_FZ35_3...rn_a_disk.html

So, after all this dancing, iMovie only opens the clips, it still does not edit them natively? I thought that at least version 11 can edit AVCHD natively. Or does it edit every other frame rate but 50p (60p)?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20822493

So, after all this dancing, iMovie only opens the clips, it still does not edit them natively? I thought that at least version 11 can edit AVCHD natively. Or does it edit every other frame rate but 50p (60p)?

As I described, you can edit the 1080/60p (50p) clips with iMovie at 60fps (50fps) using iMovie '11 or using the earlier version. If you have a Mac it can be done at no extra cost at all, because you don't need to pay for any other software (Rewrap2m4v or Remux are free).

I've uploaded to Vimeo some movies I made from a recent trip to Turkey:
. I edited the 1080/60p clips from my Panasonic SD800 camcorder using iMovie at 60 fps.

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianperegian /forum/post/20822762

As I described, you can edit the 1080/60p (50p) clips with iMovie at 60fps (50fps) using iMovie '11 or using the earlier version.

You wrote: "Import your 1080/50p files as M4P files directly into iMovie. iMovie will automatically convert these into Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) at 50fps." This means that you cannot edit native clips. Is it possible to NOT to convert to AIC?

Also, what if one opens a 25fps or 30fps file? Will all these files be adjusted to 50fps that you hardcoded in the config file, or does this config change affect only 50p files?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20823550

You wrote: "Import your 1080/50p files as M4P files directly into iMovie. iMovie will automatically convert these into Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) at 50fps." This means that you cannot edit native clips. Is it possible to NOT to convert to AIC?

Also, what if one opens a 25fps or 30fps file? Will all these files be adjusted to 50fps that you hardcoded in the config file, or does this config change affect only 50p files?

As far as I know, iMovie must always convert to AIC for editing, which means big files internally and you need the space on the hard disk for that of course.

Once you have set iMovie for 50fps (PAL) then it will import 50fps clips and convert them to AIC at 50fps. If you import 25fps it will convert the 25fps to AIC at 50fps with duplicated frames (I think), but why would you want to do that? If you just want to import 25fps clips then you would leave iMovie at its default setting, which is 25fps (PAL).

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianperegian /forum/post/20825980

As far as I know, iMovie must always convert to AIC for editing, which means big files internally and you need the space on the hard disk for that of course.

Well, this sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianperegian /forum/post/20825980

Once you have set iMovie for 50fps (PAL) then it will import 50fps clips and convert them to AIC at 50fps. If you import 25fps it will convert the 25fps to AIC at 50fps with duplicated frames (I think), but why would you want to do that? If you just want to import 25fps clips then you would leave iMovie at its default setting, which is 25fps (PAL).

What if one wanted to import a mix of 25fps and 50fps files?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20826307

Well, this sucks.

What if one wanted to import a mix of 25fps and 50fps files?

I think all the main video editing programs require expansion of the AVCHD mts files to full single frames, which must give much larger files for them too.

Yes, you can import such a mix with iMovie '11. Someone (not me) has worked it out and I will be updating that on my webpage soon.

Cheers,

Ian

PS I've now added that info at: http://www.ianperegian.com/My_FZ35_3...iMovie_11.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.