AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello all,

I am about finished with my dedicated media room, and was wondering if anyone is using the Accuscreen 106"(800019) AT screen, and what the verdict is? I need an AT screen because of the shape and size of my wall. I'm running in wall speakers, and if I don't use an AT screen, the biggest screen I can go with is 100", and that is ONLY if I mount the LCR speakers underneath the screen...that would put them about 3 feet off the floor. My first row of seating is 9'6 away from the screen, middle row 13-14' and back row 18'. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm using this screen right now and although it's inexpensive, I would not recommend it.

The build quality is pretty poor, screen itself is very light and therefore gets warped very easily. The grey material used for the screen is OK for me as i'm sitting about 10 ft away but I can still see the texture a bit.

I purchased it from Costco here in Canada on sale for less than $300 but i'm going to be returning it and getting an Elunevision 115" Reference StudioWeave AT screen. I was also looking at the Jamestown screen with Seymour XD due to its attractive price and quality materials used but it looked too much like DIY kit for my liking. The Elite Screens Prime Vision Peregrine 4k screen was also on the short list but it was only a little less than the Elunevision which my friend has (reference but not 4K AT version) and he was very happy so decided to go with the same brand.

My thought is that you don't replace the screen often if at all unless you want bigger like in my case so might as well go for something good.

I would suggest you purchase from a retailer with a good return policy if you want to try the Accuscreen as you may be happy with it. I was happy with it for a couple months of use but then knew I wanted something bigger and better so it's going back now.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I own the Accuscreen 106" AT white and think it is an excellent screen. I used it for about a year and found no warping. In fact if Accuscreen made a larger version I would still be using it.

Screen assembly is easy and professional. The frame rails are continuous pieces of aluminum with corners that simply slide into one another with a thumb screw to tighten it down. Once assembled the screen is perfectly square. The fabric material has a plastic spline sewn along the entire length of each edge. This spline pushes easily into a channel on the back of the frame, which holds it very securely and evenly with no wrinkles. If the screen becomes dirty it literally takes two minutes to remove and throw into the washing machine. Four plastic clips are used to mount the screen to the wall, two top and two bottom. These hold the frame from the inside of the rail and therefore prevent any warping from the fabric tension. I suspect that Hound888 either did not use the clips or failed to position them properly, resulting in the observation that the Accuscreen warps easily.

The weave of the fabric is quite fine and very even. From my 9 foot viewing distance I was never aware of the texture. In comparison I find the weave of Center Stage XD very noticeable from this distance. The Accuscreen is slightly less reflective than XD but the color accuracy is just as good. I made no measurements but was totally happy with it's acoustical transparency.

The only aspect of the screen that reveals it's very reasonable price is the stick-on velveteen frame border. It did a great job of absorbing light, but was not fully stuck down when the screen first arrived. After pressing it back in place then hanging it against the wall, the velvet did not lift again.

When I first purchased the screen I searched AVSForum to see other's opinions and was surprised how little information I found. Perhaps the limited size selection curbs enthusiasm or maybe enthusiasts just can't believe that such an inexpensive screen is worth considering. In my opinion, if the size works for you there is no benefit to spending many times more for an over priced competitor's material.

Costco seems to carry the grey version all the time and the white comes and goes. Since building my theater four years ago I have played with various screen materials and combinations of grey and white fabric. In my light controlled room, even with a bright projector, I have found that screens which have a definite greyish tint in the light of day zap too much color and brightness from the projected picture. If your light control is poor then perhaps grey is the way to go, otherwise I would hunt down the white version.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have an Accuscreen 106" currently and would LOVE to swap out the screen material for the new Seymour UF material. Did anyone ever figure out a way to attach the Seymour screen to the Accuscreen frame?

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1521194/help-please-anyone-using-accuscreens-106-at-screen#post_24539927

Hey...when did they slip the UF fabric in there? I have been keeping a close eye on the Seymour site, waiting for a DIY material with less texture.

The 20% drop in gain is quite a hit, but in some situations that might be beneficial. Very interesting.

I would still question the benefit of this compared to the Accuscreen fabric. What improvements are you hoping for?

Two things; I was hoping for an INCREASE in gain, I didn't see that the Accuscreen had 1.0 gain? The other thing is some pilling (my fault) on the front of the Accuscreen. Do you think I can use the reverse side of the screen without visual (or audio, for that matter) impact? I am able to get it mounted in the frame when it's reversed and, in fact, it's a bit more taut that way.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093  /t/1521194/help-please-anyone-using-accuscreens-106-at-screen#post_24539954

Two things; I was hoping for an INCREASE in gain, I didn't see that the Accuscreen had 1.0 gain? The other thing is some pilling (my fault) on the front of the Accuscreen. Do you think I can use the reverse side of the screen without visual (or audio, for that matter) impact? I am able to get it mounted in the frame when it's reversed and, in fact, it's a bit more taut that way.

If I remember correctly the Accuscreen fabric is the same on both sides so if you are able to attach it to your frame in reverse there should be no problem, especially for audio. Pilling? How did that happen. Seems to be a sturdy nylon type material. Here is the screen gain from their website. If you have the grey fabric I would expect the Seymour UF to be slightly brighter. If you have the wite Accuscreen, the Seymour will be considerably less reflective.

·
Registered
311 Posts
DavidK, you've actually washed the material with no problem? What washing settings, and did you dry it as well, or let it air dry?

I noticed some splotches appear (like watermarks) on the material after 6 years. Don't know where they came from, and aren't really noticeable during viewing, but would like to clean up if possible.

Frame has held up well other than that, and a small area where the velveteen seems to have pulled back on one side in a 2" long section on the side of the frame.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Don't know that it matters, but I used a front load machine. Cold water and liquid laundry detergent. I didn't use any bleach.
I think I used the dryer on low heat. The nylon fabric is durable. Might be safer to hang it for drying, in case one of the plastic splines catches in the dryer. You don't want it twisting into a big knot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't know that it matters, but I used a front load machine. Cold water and liquid laundry detergent. I didn't use any bleach.
I think I used the dryer on low heat. The nylon fabric is durable. Might be safer to hang it for drying, in case one of the plastic splines catches in the dryer. You don't want it twisting into a big knot.
Thanks. Have a front loader as well. Have a new PJ on order, and thought I should spruce up the screen in preparation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts