AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, am new to AVS forums, so please bear with me.My problem is that I've tried connecting my Toshiba 32BV502B to a new JBL PB 400 soundbar without any success. I'm sure it's just a matter of discovering the right connections but my knowledge of leads etc is poor.I have tried connecting with an HDMI cable I bought from Maplin, to no avail.Also tried the lead with the Left and Right( red and white connectors at one end...sorry I don't know what these are called) lead. The sound bar plays music  fine with my ipod touch or from the ipad via bluetooth. It also works fine with my old CRT Sony TV.The Toshiba is not connected to Sky .I do plan to replace the old Sony with a Sony 46W 905.Whilst I'm waiting to sort that out , I wanted to use soundbar with the Toshiba.Any help would be appreciated as feeling frustrated with myself for not being to able to work it out. In the soundbar set up guide it seems quite straight forward.

Also can't seem to get the bluetooth subwoofer to work at all.Thanks

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What is the Toshiba 32BV502B connected to? Cable box, Blu-ray, DVD player, etc...

Also what inputs does the Toshiba 32BV502B have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hi , thanks for the response. The toshiba isn't connected to any thing except the wall electric outlet and terrestrial aerial.It's not connected to cable TV box etc.As far as I can see it has -

2 HDMI inputs(HDMI1 and HDMI2)

SCART ,

VGA,

USB port,

SPD/F Coax out,

headphones slot,

red and white ?sound out thing where the red and white( left and right) splitter goes in ,

another thing which I don't know the name of , but looks similar to the red and white but has a yellow coloured margin ( sorry, I don't know what's the correct tech name
)

Please if you can it might be more useful to google the toshiba model no for the correct specs rather than my ignorant attempt to describe them.

appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It appears that the Toshiba has an optical audio output. If so, use the optical cable from the Toshiba to the sound-bar as indicated on page 5 of the manual for the sound-bar. Be sure to select the optical input using the sound-bar remote. You may need to go into a menu on the Toshiba to turn off the internal speakers and enable sound from the optical out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks , which is the optical output on the TV ,do you think?

I've looked up the online manual of the Toshiba but it doesn't mention any  optical outlet.I have indeed  tried to fit one end of the optical cable that came with the sound bar into the TV but there's nothing that it can go into on this TV.

Could you suggest anything for the subwoofer not working at all, as well?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Did you pair the subwoofer to the sound-bar? See page 6 of the user's manual for the sound-bar.

PAIRING THE UNITS FOR WIRELESS OPERATION

After turning the soundbar and subwoofer on for the first time, you will

need to “pair” the subwoofer and soundbar so they both operate at the

same wireless frequency. To pair the units, press the Wireless Pairing

switches on both units within 30 seconds of each other. The units will

communicate with each other and operate at the same frequency

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

we tried that, several times, failed to pair up. the subwoofer does come on and the blue lights flash on both the soundbar and the subwoofer but then subsequently no sound through the subwoofer .

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedconfuse  /t/1519919/help-please-cannot-get-j...ork-with-my-toshiba-32bv502b-tv#post_24416703

yes i did, but there wasn't any similar shaped port on the TV

Ok. I must have looked wrong at the picture I found. Use the red/white cord supplied with the sound-bar and connect from the red/white on the TV to the Aux In on the sound-bar. Then select AUX IN on sound-bar remote. Again you may need to go into a menu on the TV and turn off the internal speakers.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedconfuse  /t/1519919/help-please-cannot-get-j...ork-with-my-toshiba-32bv502b-tv#post_24416715

we tried that, several times, failed to pair up. the subwoofer does come on and the blue lights flash on both the soundbar and the subwoofer but then subsequently no sound through the subwoofer .

Are you getting sound from the sound-bar when this happens?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedconfuse  /t/1519919/help-please-cannot-get-j...ork-with-my-toshiba-32bv502b-tv#post_24417044

unable to turn TV speakers off..no such setting on the Menu

I found the user's manual for the Toshiba. The red/white on the Toshiba are inputs and therefore will NOT work for you. I believe you are correct that is has NO optical audio out even though the site I first linked you to indicates that it does. It appears that the only way to get sound from the Toshiba to the sound-bar would be to purchase a SPDIF to optical converter. I found several in the United States but I believe you are in the United Kingdom and shipping would be prohibitive. If you can find one in the UK they are usually less than 20 US dollars. The Toshiba does have a SPDIF OUT and the sound-bar has an optical input so that should work.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedconfuse  /t/1519919/help-please-cannot-get-j...ork-with-my-toshiba-32bv502b-tv#post_24416715

I would unplug both the sound-bar and the subwoofer for about 2 minutes to let them reset and try pairing again. Is it possible that the subwoofer is working but with the Ipod etc.. you are not sending anything in a low enough frequency to get sound from the subwoofer. If not, sorry but I am out of ideas about pairing the subwoofer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts