AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you very much in advance . Any help on this is greatly appreciated .

I am in process of purchasing LCD TV . Undecided either LN52A650 Samsung (2499 CAD at Best buy) and Sony 46 " XBR4 (3099 CAD). Here are plus and minuses as follow :

1/ Dynamic of A650 is more contrast than XBR4 but details in shadow are not as clear as Sony .IMHO

2/ 600 clams A650 less than XBR4 .Plus IMO (although i'm willing to spend a little bit more and be happy with the purchase , than safe a little and kick my self in the "you know what" after).

3/ Piano black on A650 is shiny and glares . Minus IMHO

So, if any HD Guru or owners of both TV out there can shed a light and help me out deciding between the 2 models is greatly appreciated . Thanks again . Great site for consumers research
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,188 Posts
Isn't XBR3 a couple of years old now? If you want to get an XBR, try XBR5 which came out last year. The new XBR6 should be out probably in a couple of months.


However, Samsung A650 is probably the best bang for your buck right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 /forum/post/14303775


Isn't XBR3 a couple of years old now? If you want to get an XBR, try XBR5 which came out last year. The new XBR6 should be out probably in a couple of months.


However, Samsung A650 is probably the best bang for your buck right now.

I am so sorry . It is XBR4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As i understand there is no difference in color engines of XBR4 and XBR5 . I prefer the matte black bezel of XBR4 over XBR5 shiny piano black . Also it is 300 bucks cheaper than XBR5

Thanks again for posting Taurus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,188 Posts
Looks like you want to go with matte (or semi-matte). The new Samsung A630 with matte, AMP, & 120Hz, will be out next month so if you can wait, should wait and see what happens with it. Bet you it is still cheaper than last year Sony XBR4!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
I really like both TV's. However, the $1000 less, at the time I bought my A650 and the way the Samsung handled motion better was the clincher.When I was looking at both the A650 had Transformers HD DVD direct feed and the XBR4 had a BD direct feed of "Discovery HD"...I do not remember what it was. In motion scenes the A650 held together well and areas with dense foliage you could make out every detail.


The XBR4 also looked equally impressive until there was action...it was a blurry mess. I don't know if it was the BD player or the disc itself. Also, scenes with dense foliage had "blocking"...details were lost.


I really wanted the Sony because of QC, but the $1000 difference and what i mentioned above is what swayed me towards the Samsung. However, the Sony did put out a nice PQ and detail (overall) were stunning along with black levels.


Right now I have seen the 46A650 for $1699 online. I think the XBR4 is still in the $2400 range?

Keep researching. You may want to check out the "Z" series Sony's as well....just beware of the "sparkle" issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 /forum/post/14304179


I really like both TV's. However, the $1000 less, at the time I bought my A650 and the way the Samsung handled motion better was the clincher.When I was looking at both the A650 had Transformers HD DVD direct feed and the XBR4 had a BD direct feed of "Discovery HD"...I do not remember what it was. In motion scenes the A650 held together well and areas with dense foliage you could make out every detail.


The XBR4 also looked equally impressive until there was action...it was a blurry mess. I don't know if it was the BD player or the disc itself. Also, scenes with dense foliage had "blocking"...details were lost.

I really wanted the Sony because of QC, but the $1000 difference and what i mentioned above is what swayed me towards the Samsung. However, the Sony did put out a nice PQ and detail (overall) were stunning along with black levels.


Right now I have seen the 46A650 for $1699 online. I think the XBR4 is still in the $2400 range?

Keep researching. You may want to check out the "Z" series Sony's as well....just beware of the "sparkle" issue.

Sony's QC is overrated on these LCD panels. Sony's do have issues of their own. The Sony sets are definitely more solid as far as the built is concerned as Samsung does use more plastic in their sets.


Unless you are really worried about excessive plastic "toxicity" (it's a definite buzz word these days) or are planning to put wheels on the XBR4 and then driving around, go with Samsung
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all I'd like to thank you all for the "replies" . I was at Best buy this morning ( as you can tell I am in Toronto Canada ) , looking at Samsung 46" A650 and Sony 46" XBR4 side by side with the same feed was playing American Treasure 2 . I asked one of the sale staff to adjust the A650 black level and brightness but there is no improvement in shadow details , maybe it will have to be calibrated . In shadow of XBR4 you can make out the details . I agree with you Mikelets456, the motion scenes A650 does a little better than XBR4 . The price is $600 CAD more for the XBR4 than 46" A650 , and Samsung 46A650 is 2008 to boot.Talk about price in USA is $1699 US you said ? Here 46" A650 is $2499 CAD . Our money is at par...go figure
. A 46" XBR4 go for $3099 CAD . But venting aside , I still am undecided which way to go . Thanks again for replying ...happy HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDplayer /forum/post/14304623


First of all I'd like to thank you all for the "replies" . I was at Best buy this morning ( as you can tell I am in Toronto Canada ) , looking at Samsung 46" A650 and Sony 46" XBR4 side by side with the same feed was playing American Treasure 2 . I asked one of the sale staff to adjust the A650 black level and brightness but there is no improvement in shadow details , maybe it will have to be calibrated . In shadow of XBR4 you can make out the details . I agree with you Mikelets456, the motion scenes A650 does a little better than XBR4 . The price is $600 CAD more for the XBR4 than 46" A650 , and Samsung 46A650 is 2008 to boot.Talk about price in USA is $1699 US you said ? Here 46" A650 is $2499 CAD . Our money is at par...go figure
. A 46" XBR4 go for $3099 CAD . But venting aside , I still am undecided which way to go . Thanks again for replying ...happy HD

Next time you go into BB try these settings with the addition of energy savings "auto", Tint:G47/R53 and backlight to "5" if it's a bright room.

http://help.cnet.com/9602-12576_39-0...sageID=2510694
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top