AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been muddling my way through the set up of my new HK AVR 330 and need some help.

I am connecting my digital cable box (SA Explorer 8000) to the AVR using the digital audio out of the box and the digital coax in of the AVR. When configuring the input, I am do NOT see the Dolby Digital option, only Dolby Surround and then Pro-logic II or Pro-logic III as sub-items. Further, no matter what I select, I only seem to get sound from the center channel.

I am using a 5.1 speaker set up (Energy Encore System).

When running my DVD player in via optical, I get the full effect including Digital sound.

Am I missing something here? Is it the case that even though the cable box claims to be digital out, it is really analog? If so, what setting should I use to get all 5 speakers and sub working?

Thanks.

Tim

· Registered
362 Posts
Depending on what you are watching you are only going to get a downmixed dolby signal, with the cable box you are generally only going to get a dolby digital signal on the movie pay channels that brodacast in Dolby Digital. In my experience, most channels outside of a few HDTV channels and HBO have ProLogic mixes and not DD..........If you have HBO or a Pay channel, you should be able to check the info guide on the movie and it will tell you if it is in DD........I am running the same AVR...hope this helps, it is not your AVR or System, just the limatations of the source.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I found myself very confused through the setup or the inputs. It seemed that even though I used the optical and digital coax with a "digital" input, I was not able to set the surround choice to digital. The best I could get was Dolby Pro Logic II Movie. However, after going through the surround config a second time, Digital did appear under the Dolby main selection -- only the Digital option only allowed me to configure the 2 front speakers.

When I changed it back to Pro Logic II, I could then set all 5 speakers AND when I pushed a true 5.1 signal through it (Finding Nemo on DVD and Sopranos on HBOHD) the display showed DIGITAL (even though I had not set it as such).

So, the behavior is a bit odd at best, but as long as I can get the true 5.1 signals on DVD and Cable to show as digital and everything else to play as Pro Logic II, I guess I should be happy.

Any other suggestions for the setup? I still need to set sound levels etc. as all I have been able to do thus far is hook up the components, speakers, and set basic inputs.

Thanks.

BTW: are you using a universal remote or the OEM from HK? I have an MX700 that I will be setting up and would enjoy having any tips from someone with the AVR 330.

· Registered
362 Posts
the AVR is only going to give you the setup for the sources it is recieving, so if you find a cable channel giving you DD than you will see the DD option appear in the set up.......confusing I know....try HBO if you have it..

right now im running the OE remote awaiting my Pronto ;-p

· Registered
164 Posts
The behavior you describe is how my AVR-320 works, although I don't have a digital out for my cable box.

Also, FWIW, I usually find the Logic 7 Cinema setting to be better than DPLII for 2-channel television programming.

· Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thr61
Thanks.

What do you mean by "better" when comparing the two?
Aesthetically, I prefer the sound of Logic 7 over DPLII. I don't have any graphs to point to, just that I like it better. Sounds more natural, and seems to do a better job creating a phantom center channel. It's close, but I think DPLII is better for music (when not just listening in pure stereo), with the same caveats.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

If I set the speaker mode for Logic 7 instead of DPLII, will the AVR use digital when a 5.1 signal is present? For instance, if I set my cable box input (using digital coax) to Logic 7 and then watch an HBO movie that is in true 5.1, will the AVR "switch" to that mode, even if not specified in the surround mode?

Perhaps life was easier with my single speaker 27" TV :)

· Registered
362 Posts
The AVR will switch to the supported mode automatically....so if you are on one channel that is a DPLII mix and turn the channel to a DD mix, the AVR will recognize the DD and switch to the proper format.....it wont do this from LOGIC 7, as this is Harmons on surrond DSP....Logic 7 and PLII are essence the same thing as far as the mix goes...

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I seemed to have resolved the surround output issues and am slowly figuring out how it all works.

However, I have a new issue with the 330 and hope that someone who owns one can explain the problem:

Now that everything is working, I decided to go ahead and hook up the VCR for my 5 year old. I chose an available video in/out from the AVR and ran the out from the VCR to the in on the AVR (using composite as that is all the VCR supports). I then ran the out from the AVR to the in on the TV.

I selected the corresponding video selections on both the TV and the AVR and hit play on the VCR. Nothing. Only static.

So, I unhook everything and directly connect the VCR to the TV (using the same TV input as above). Perfect image and no sound through the TV.

Re-connected it all to the AVR, and again, no image or sound.

Any ideas?

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spent some more time with the problem.

The issue was that even though each video output on the AVR (1-4) has an IN and an OUT, there is also a master OUT to the TV. I did not see it and it was not intuitive given the presence of the OUT associated with a specific Video setting. Switching the OUT to the master got it all working.

Onward to volume level setting...and finishing the programming for my MX 700.

· Registered
164 Posts
Not sure if this applies to the AVR330, but I know my AVR320 won't switch among mixed Composite/S-Video connections. If a composite signal is present on any input, it will only switch composite. Mainly annoying as my display locks the inputs the other way (preferring S-Vid to composite).

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been lucky in how my set up is configured as I only am running 2 video inputs (composite for VCR and S-video for regular cable) and so switching has not been an issue. My DVD is directly connected to the TV via component and my HD signal directly to the TV via DVI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.