AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to make this quick as possible and thanks to anyone who has some insight. I've got roughly $400 to spend, my question is this, what would be the better option...buying the onkyo s3300 or yamaha yht-393 (both around the same price range $300-350) or just buying a new receiver (thinking pioneer vsx-820-k $210) and a new powered sub (thinking polk audio PSW10 $100) and using that with my old bose acoustimass 600 speaker system.

I'll be hooking up a directv hd dvr, xbox 360, and blu ray all via hdmi. I need a new receiver for the audio upgrades and hdmi slots, and the acoustimass module just doesn't deliver the amount of bass i want, but the speakers sound fine and really haven't seen too much use over the years. i guess what i'm wondering really is are the bose speakers i have now capable of delivering the hd audio formats out there today and would they be better than the speakers available with the HTIB's i mentioned above? Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Don't waste your money on the low-budget HTIB. Either save it, and keep saving more for a real upgrade later, or go with a $300 - $400 receiver now and save up for real speakers and a sub later.

Going with such a cheap HTIB would probably be worse sound than your Bose even if you gain hdmi ports.

Do you need/want 3D support? If not, then check out the Denon 1910 or Yamaha 765 receivers.

What is the rated impedance (ohms) for the Bose speakers?

I hate to say it, but you need to add a little more $$ to the budget to make it so that you're stepping up, not down...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply, from what i could find the impedance is 8 ohms, owners manual says compatible with a/v receivers rated for 4-8 ohms, a/v receivers rated from 10-100 watts/channel. this model is probably 8-10 years old, all the speakers connect to the sub module and then factory integrated speaker wiring runs from that to the receiver. a few good pictures here http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-Acoustimass...item4aa63c711e (that's not mine, just for reference).

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorgo1 /forum/post/0

thank you for the reply, from what i could find the impedance is 8 ohms, owners manual says compatible with a/v receivers rated for 4-8 ohms, a/v receivers rated from 10-100 watts/channel. this model is probably 8-10 years old, all the speakers connect to the sub module and then factory integrated speaker wiring runs from that to the receiver. a few good pictures here http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-Acoustimass...item4aa63c711e (that's not mine, just for reference).

If they use proprietary connectors, you're going to have to strip those wires to connect them to a normal receiver. Do they have proprietary connectors on the back of speaker as well? If not, you'll want to invest in some 14ga wire too. (m o n o p r i c e.com)

Based on their impedance, they should work with any receiver you buy... temporarily!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts