AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Sony Dream Machine at work. I have experimented with various options and all have failed. You see, my desk is not near any windows and I suffer from terrible reception. I enjoy both FM & AM radio. I have tried a Philips digital tuner and even the computer via our internet connection, but alas, our connection sucks and I run into buffer errors.

Can ANYONE suggest a quality tuner? If not, I will be relegated to buying countless stereos and trying them all out, one by one... :(

·
Registered
653 Posts
What kind of antenna were you using with the Philips tuner? A good antenna will certainly help out with reception. The best antenna I've used is actually a Radio Shack amplified UHF/VHF/FM antenna. That worked better than an AudioPrism passive antenna, a Parsec amplified antenna, and of course, the standard ribbon antenna that comes with most tuners.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Lets see, the worlds 3 best tuners in no particular order

Sequerra FM reference

Mcintosh MR78 or MR80

Magnum Dynalab ( a couple of different models)

All are a bit pricy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is two different issues really. For am, the key is sensitivity. Usually, bigger knobs = better control over sensitivity. I own a "select-a-tenna" which dramatically increases my ability to receive am signals. Otherwise, you will need a radio with good sensitivity control for a.m. This thing is unbelievable and well worth the $50.00 (works with any radio). Remember that the "power" of the radio has absolutely nothing to do with it's ability to receive signals.

I don't listen to much fm in hard to listen to locations, but check out:

http://www.seacrane.com/fm_antennas.asp

They carry the select-a-tenna as well as dozens of FM antennas and radios. As I understand it, the type of radio you have is much more important for FM reception. AFAIK, noone carries better radios than seacrane

Good luck.

·
Registered
541 Posts
BTW...if you want an "audiophile" reference tuner for home, I'd pass on the 3 expensive ones mentioned and opt for a vintage Dyna FM-3. Some regard this as the finest FM tuner ever made. I own one that needs some work, but refurbs can be had for $200.00 or so.

·
Registered
488 Posts
my vote is for magnum dynalab. they make a chuck load of great tuners. some are horribly expensive, but others like their ft101a are affordable.

i recently bought one, and am very happy with it's performance!

also the magnum dynalab st-2 anteana is the greatest!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The problem is probably not your tuner. The problem is probably location of the antenna in a shielded building. Even the world's best tuner cannot make gold out of lead - er, signal where there is none. See if you can get a remote antenna outside of the building, or at least in a more favorable location within the building.

Don't waste your money on a pricey "world finest".

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am actually able to get decent reception at work with a Sony AN-LP1 antenna (actually, I think it is an AN-LP2 as I use it with an SW-07). It is not too expensive and is easy to use in a work environment.

M.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick C
BTW...if you want an "audiophile" reference tuner for home, I'd pass on the 3 expensive ones mentioned and opt for a vintage Dyna FM-3. Some regard this as the finest FM tuner ever made. I own one that needs some work, but revue's can be had for $200.00 or so.
I just recently got one of these after some searching. I passed on 7 of these things before I got mine.

It's hard to find them without their tuning coils sealed with wax to prevent their re-alignment, I found this on 5 models during my search. This can also throw the soundstage off. Re-alignment helps narrow the soundstage on the Dynaco FM-3 and also helps with stereo separation(as I hear).Good luck with that one, since that can be a major repair to it.

Since the kits vary greatly, you may be stuck with one that has bad separation, or just sounds "veiled" or edgy. This can because of re-alignment done probably a deacade or two ago, or maybe bad soldering, and the lack of consistency in the wiring.

On 3, they looked they had been wired and soldered blindly. Boy, did those 3 tuners sound terrible.

So after looking through 7 different models of the same tuners, I found one in Wisconsin that had been nicely assembled, aligned, soldered, and even the owner improved the original parts. However, the front was in terrible shape, it was dusty, and the tubes were only above average. Compromises...

If you're patient, you can jump through many hoops to get a good Dynaco FM-3 tuner. That can blow away almost any tuner out there in terms of dynamics, and transparency. If you're not however, don't waste your time instead, get a excellent digital tuner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.