AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think other people have asked this question but no one has really clarified it.

setup. 42" TV, currently accempting my HDMI in from the Scientific Atlanta hmdi 1.0 HD-DVR. and philips DVD player. and audio from my computer running a 5.1 system

i have a few questions:

1. the jvc301 is old but it has wireless usb music. I play a lot of music from my computer. i have an spdif out that i can send to a receiver but i also have a laptop. it would be nice to run something wireless from my laptop to the receiver? please advise

2. 505 still waiting on a shoponkyo deal. 505 vs 710? how important will hdmi be for me. all i have is HD-DVR and a DVD player. i still have to use separate audio links. so is it better to go up to a onkyo 505 or sony 710 vs the jvc301?

3. and of the 4

panasonic xr57

jvc 301

onkyo 505

sony 710

i know lots of people have asked these questions and people end up going for the 605 or something else but please try to help me with these 4

which should i pick and why?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently got Onkyo 505 from shoponkyo. It is completely worth the money. It does everything I wanted except Audio over HDMI. To get that I would have had to spend more than 2.5 times. Many receivers with HDMI audio have bugs or limitations, according to various threads here. 505 will serve perfectly till the Blu-ray / HD-DVD war settles down. Who knows, some other audio format may become standard at that time. If you don't have Blu-ray / HD-DVD equipment, 505 will work good.

·
Registered
678 Posts
what you have to realize is the 505 doesn't accept audio over HDMI and that 710 only does stereo or 6 channel stereo over HDMI. If you are willing to accept that then I supposed you are planning to use optical anyways. I would probably opt for the 710 or the 505 as they are more widely used and would mostlikely have their bugs worked out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bump, I'd like to hear some people chime in on this direct comparison too. I'm debating 57 or 505. I'd like to consider the JVC digitals too (they seem really good for the price), but all the heat complaints scare me away. I won't buy a sony; it would probably have a rootkit in it =).

-G

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetheteevee /forum/post/13316471

bump, I'd like to hear some people chime in on this direct comparison too. I'm debating 57 or 505. I'd like to consider the JVC digitals too (they seem really good for the price), but all the heat complaints scare me away. I won't buy a sony; it would probably have a rootkit in it =).

-G

If you're asking my personal opinion the XR-57 will win in sound quality, has a smaller footprint and runs cooler so if you're placing it in a cabinet it might work better for you as you don't need as much clearance to keep it cool.

The 505 is a great choice at the price and can be found for less than the 57 especially if you wait for a refurb to come up on shoponkyo.com. It's more user friendly has auto setup and a few more tweaks.

Both a good choices and to say which you will prefer only you can do that.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Aces /forum/post/12901904

what you have to realize is the 505 doesn't accept audio over HDMI and that 710 only does stereo or 6 channel stereo over HDMI. If you are willing to accept that then I supposed you are planning to use optical anyways. I would probably opt for the 710 or the 505 as they are more widely used and would mostlikely have their bugs worked out.

This isn't correct. The DG710 handles legacy DD/DTS 5.1 and 6.1 audio from regular DVDs that it receives over HDMI just fine without a separate connection whereas the 505 does not and does require a separate audio connection. The DG710 only does stereo when it is receiving high def lossless audio PCM signals (True HD, for example) that've been decoded by a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts