AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Panasonic 58" 600 series plasma purchased several weeks ago. My challenge is this: I cannot get standard def DVD's to look anything close to sharp.

My setup:

Denon 2200 DVD player set to progressive scan out.

Component video outputs to receiver

Pio Elite 54 txi receiver

Component out to TV via Monoprx component video cables

Component video 1 input on TV

I have used the Avia disk to try and set sharpness, but never seems to "dial-in". With my Bell ExpressVu HD PVR, PQ is outstanding, (HDMI 1) and running a PC thru HDMI 2 with hi def material (IMAX films via laptop at 720P output) looks outstanding as well.

I have tried searching the owners threads but can't find this info anywhere. My settings are very similar to others:

either Cinema or Standard

Bright +12

Colour +3 to +4

sharpness, -12 to -13 for the other inputs.

Warm

I was hoping the PQ from the Denon would be good enough to allow me to avoid wanting to get a HD DVD player or BR player, but I am wavering...DON'T talk me down that path.

Anyway, watching most DVD's, the sharpness is definitely off. It also looks like I am getting really bad 3:2 pulldown anomalies, highlighted by really nasty looking bridge rails in the bridge scene of MI-III. Any way of dealing with this???

Any and all suggestions welcome. While I have NOT had a professional calibration done yet, I intend to get one done in another month or so, once the break in is done.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbd90 /forum/post/0

I'm no expert, but wouldn't you turn the sharpness up to get a sharper picture?

lol

Yeah, I use 0 on my panasonic and it is just fine. Some people on the forums suggest to turn sharpness wayyyy too low, hence the dull looking picture. They say that using a sharpness level that is too high introduces artifacts. I agree 100%. However, going below the mid-point "0" level is unacceptable, to me. I would never use, say, +15, but 0 is just fine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I believe that most of these concerns about sharpness artifacts come from smaller (42-50") Pannys. With the larger 58" version, I find that I can turn up the sharpness quite a bit without seeing noticeable artifacts. Depending on the source, I routinely use +5 to +10 on sharpness.

To the OP, I would advise first experimenting with turning up the sharpness, and don't worry about artifacts unless you see them. Second, have you tried connecting your component video out directly to the Panny, bypassing your receiver? Maybe your receiver is causing a problem. Third, if your Pio receiver has an HDMI output, try replacing your component out with an HDMI cable to the Panny (sorry, I don't remember whether that Pio receiver has HDMI or not, in which case this suggestion is worthless).

FWIW, I'm quite satisfied with my 58PX600U performance with a cheap progressive scan DVD player, either by direct component connection to the Panny, or component-to-HDMI connection through my Denon 2807 receiver. DVD's are not quite as sharp as HD broadcast, but vastly better than SD broadcast.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc /forum/post/0

I believe that most of these concerns about sharpness artifacts come from smaller (42-50") Pannys. With the larger 58" version, I find that I can turn up the sharpness quite a bit without seeing noticeable artifacts. Depending on the source, I routinely use +5 to +10 on sharpness.

To the OP, I would advise first experimenting with turning up the sharpness, and don't worry about artifacts unless you see them. Second, have you tried connecting your component video out directly to the Panny, bypassing your receiver? Maybe your receiver is causing a problem. Third, if your Pio receiver has an HDMI output, try replacing your component out with an HDMI cable to the Panny (sorry, I don't remember whether that Pio receiver has HDMI or not, in which case this suggestion is worthless).

FWIW, I'm quite satisfied with my 58PX600U performance with a cheap progressive scan DVD player, either by direct component connection to the Panny, or component-to-HDMI connection through my Denon 2807 receiver. DVD's are not quite as sharp as HD broadcast, but vastly better than SD broadcast.

FYI, to the yucksters above, I have tried all levels of sharpness.
I didn't just plug in a bunch of numbers and let it go at that. I am basing the observation on trying to get the AVIA to help me calibrate properly. On the hi-def feeds, I have used similar source material to get a judgement on sharpness as my Denon does not have HDMI output. Neither does my receiver.

Thanks for you comments. I haven't done a direct connect yet, so I'll tryt that. I'd hate to have to run another 20' of component video cable, as I am using my receiver as a component video switcher, but I'll do what I need to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, is it better to give the Panny a 480P feed, or will it do OK with a 480i feed out of a DVD player? I'll test both tonight, btw.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer_mcmulliga /forum/post/0

Also, is it better to give the Panny a 480P feed, or will it do OK with a 480i feed out of a DVD player?

From my own experience, the panny has a quite decent scaler and deinterlacer. I use 480i out of my STB and it is clearly better than 480p. My DVD won't do 480i with HDMI, so I have to use 480p (even though my player upscales, I don't use that feature, as I find that the panny does a bit better with the scaling).

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Interesting... my experience differs, I use 480p w/HD color matrix and component input from my SA8300 to my 50PX50U. I have an OPPO DVD player DVI --> HDMI up converting to 720p. I can easily compare STB to antenna w/CableCARD input(s) and IMO 480p looks better than 480i.

To the OP... unless you have some very high-end video component switched equipment you're most likely better off using a direct connection to your PDP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.