AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone of you know we're experiencing an intense heatwave in New England. Since about 5 days ago whenever I turn on my Samsung HCL552W RPTV, after a couple minutes, I get like static all over the screen in the colors of green, blue, red, yellow (predominately in black areas). I have the TV on a rug and I know you're not supposed to do this (I will be putting a piece of cardboard underneath tonight). Anyway, I took off the front panel last night and notice a vent right underneath the CRT's, and underneath the vent is of course the rug. Now, do you think I'm getting this static charge due to the rug and the mixture of humidity??? If I run the TV with the front panels off, the problem goes away. And if I run a progressive scan DVD player, which bypasses internal video circuitry, the problem doesn't even exist. If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in, the problem clears up for a few minutes than resurfaces, like I said, this is only when either veiwing cable or interlaced video. So is my assumption right that the combination of the rug and humidity is increasing the static charge and creating a magnetic field?? Do you think that once I put cardboard underneath the problem will cease, or will it cease once this heatwave is over. I just hope I don't have lemon TV. Like I said though, when the front panels are removed and more air is circulating through I never get the problem.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hi,

Having been born and raised in Mobile, Alabama and having lived in south Florida since 1987 I know a thing or two about humidity!

Humidity in the atmosphere actually retards electrostatic discharges. It's dry air that causes an enhanced chance of static discharges so I doubt that increased humidity is to blame for what's going on. Since the problem disappears when you run the set with the front panel off, heat buildup is the likely culprit. Electronic components don't like high ambient teperatures. Have you ever been inside a television station? I work in one and it's always about 70 degrees.

------------------

HiDefDave

[This message has been edited by David McRoy (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you think it's a problem with the TV or just a matter of chance because of the intense heat. So basically I have to run my central air all the time. It was about 80 degrees in my apartment when I got home yesterday.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Try running the A/C at a fairly comfortable temperature, say, between 70 and 75 and run the set with the cover back on and see what happens. Your set's design may be unusually sensitive to heat. Also, it's possible that a particular part somewhere in the set is faulty and overheats easily. This would be easy for a technician to fix. All he would need to do is operate the set under hot conditions until it screws up the picture and then selectively spray suspect components with LPS-brand non-residue cleaner (or equivalent.) This stuff is very cold coming out of the can and when he sprays the component that's overheating the problem will go way (until the component heats up again!) Then he can replace the bad part. or maybe even the entire board that its on.

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Removing the front panel might let an overheating part in the set get just cool enough to function correctly.

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a real bummer if there's something wrong http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif But why does the problem clear up if I unplug it from the wall but it doesn't clear up if I simply power down and power back up. It's like it demagnetizes when I unplug it from the wall or re-grounds itself...I don't know. But if I unplug it from the wall it goes away from a little bit, but comes back.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Sorry, I forgot about the "unplugging" phenomenon.

Do you see the problem on digital TV or just NTSC sources?

------------------

HiDefDave

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well every input, Cable TV and Interlaced DVD....if I run the DVD in progressive mode and bypass internal video circuitry, there's no problem. So I know the CRT's aren't the problem... I'm thinking maybe the Samsung ProChip (the line doubler chip) is overheating... But like I said this has only been doing this since it's been reeaaalllyy hot out. I've had the TV for about 2 weeks now and not until 5 days ago did I have a problem... just coincidence??? I don't know...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.