AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Using an Eye-One Display 2 and ColorHCFR, and after reading Kal's instructions several times, I still can't get RGB levels to display when taking grayscale measurements. I've also tried measuring primaries and secondaries, to no avail. Can anyone help?

Screenshot of data attached *UPDATED*. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
well you're on comments in the infomation box.

Looks like you've got data up above,you just need to flip the tab to one that will show you something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but notice there's no data in the RGB field. The graph is blank as well. I've been surfing around for the past two hours, but haven't dug up anyone else with this problem. Rather disheartening for this first-time calibrator...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18245956

Yes, but notice there's no data in the RGB field. The graph is blank as well. I've been surfing around for the past two hours, but haven't dug up anyone else with this problem. Rather disheartening for this first-time calibrator...

The graph is blank because your xy (~ .200x/.500y) measures are off the charts - Red 0%, Green 151%, Blue 40%. Unless you are seeing some very green-blue test patterns, I suspect something is wrong with your setup or meter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdbimmer,

Thank you - this helps. No wonder I was seeing blips at the edges of the graph. Hmm, I'll have to dig around to find out what to do next. I've calibrated my Display 2 several times already...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Right click on the graph and select Scale and then Auto-Adjust. Then you should be able to see them.

What TV do you have? What are your color temperature choices? The color temp you have chosen on your TV is probably not near 6500.

Also, in HCFR check your default settings. From the menu select Advanced, then Preferences. Select the References tab. Make sure HDTV - REC 709 is selected for the Color Space. It was not on mine the first couple times I measured and I was getting bad results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Mountain Man. I've confirmed I've got the correct color space - it appears that my RGB levels are just REALLY whacked out, which is funny, because if you asked me, I would have said my picture was pretty natural-looking.

To answer your questions, I've got a Panny TH-42PX80U, and the color temp. is measuring above 8500, which seems way off. Gamma is really low, too. I'm nervous because the adjustment controls on this TV are limited. No Contrast in user menu, even.

I've calibrated my sensor four or five times in HCFR, so I'm confident the readings are accurate. Now I'm fishing around for the service menu access code. It appears Bruzzi's material, my best bet, has somehow disappeared...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18247319

..I've calibrated my sensor four or five times in HCFR, so I'm confident the readings are accurate

I doubt it. Everything would appear hideously green if your display's grayscale was really .200x/.500y (which is probably outside the gamut of your display anyway). And HCFR's calibration offset won't fix a broken meter or resolve a configuration problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jdbimmer,

Thanks - I should mention that I also ran diagnostics on the sensor using its own software, and everything checked out okay. Since this is a borrowed meter, I'm hesitant to search out another meter for comparison.

Is there another way to determine whether or not this sensor is broken?

Again, thanks. I appreciate everyone's guidance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted earlier, thinking that HCFR software was not reading RGB levels, when in fact they were so far off that they didn't even show up on the graph.

I'm using an i1d2 with ColorHCFR on a Panny TH-42PX80U, and although I don't have access to my CIE chart at the moment, my triangle was way off.

Has anyone else had issues with their d2? I calibrated it several times using HCFR, I ran diagnostics with the sensor software, and I followed Kal's instructions meticulously, including setting the correct color space. I'm running test patterns through my PS3 from USB (HD 709 MP4 test patterns available elsewhere on the site).

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Did you set the meter on the display while it's on for at least 30min to an hour to let it warm up to the heat from the plasma? The i1LT/i1D2 is sensitive to temperature and could throw your measurements off.

Also if the TV has a Picture Mode type option switch it to Cinema or Movie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I warmed it up on the display for a half-hour, but read elsewhere to do an hour minimum and do black-level calibration (DVD case) following. I'll try that again.

Picture mode is already set to Cinema.

Thanks!

·
Registered
904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18249535

Has anyone else had issues with their d2?

Yes, I recently went through three of them to find one that worked. Two of them (a rev.a and a rev.b) were giving incorrect readings on red. FWIW, the diagnostic software that came with the units reported them as working properly, so I don't think it checks very much.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman /forum/post/18250918

Yes, I recently went through three of them to find one that worked. Two of them (a rev.a and a rev.b) were giving incorrect readings on red. FWIW, the diagnostic software that came with the units reported them as working properly, so I don't think it checks very much.

my i1LT doing the same thing when i'm using it to calibrate my lcd monitors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
adrman,

Thanks for the info. Disappointing, but good to know. I'll try again tonight or this weekend, and you'd better believe I'll warm that sucker up first.

I'll throw out a Hail Mary too: Any enthusiast live near Columbus, OH and willing to loan/rent me a meter? I can't justify buying my one, but would really like to calibrate my TV. I work downtown at Nationwide.

Well, feels like a desparate move, but just might work. Who knows?

Nathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts