AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm giving my grandma a dvd player for x-mas, her tv is older and she won't be getting a new tv for awhile. her tv has 2 rca inputs on the back, yellow (video) and white (audio), my question is, is it good or bad to take the stereo audio from the dvd player, into a rca y adaptor (2 male to one female) then put the one female into the tv? i know it probably won't be true stereo or the best solution, but is it bad for the tv or dvd player??

or what other cost effective/cheap solutions might there be?

thanks

pants

·
Registered
22,170 Posts
That'll work and won't harm anything.

All I can warn you about is 'Grandma'! If she's anything like my 81 year old mommy (that has trouble with a VCR), you better be prepared to explain menu navigation (over and over and over again)! Most older folks think a 'cursor' is someone that uses profanity! ;)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
If you want to go to ratshack and get a Y connecter to had both red and white going into the Y connecter then the single containing both inputs from left and right channels will be used for input.

Ditto on what Ratman said about explaining it over and over my mom is 84, they can't comprehend new techology don't be surprised if your grandmother says take it back; I can't get it to work. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for the help. i just wasn't sure if it would mess up any of the inputs or anything.

and thanks for the heads up about explainging it over and over, didn't even think about that one.

pants

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Probably will work if the audio outputs on the DVD player can handle the resulting impedance. The problem with doing this without some kind of active circuit is that each output channel sees the other's output impedance (most like 1,000 ohms or less) as well as the TV audio input's impedance. The output circuit may distort or produce insufficient level if the impedance it sees is too low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.