AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been away from the forum for a couple years, lots of nice changes !!! I'll be around a lot now I think !

Just bought a new house that has a REAL home theater.

The seller wanted 50 grand for the equipemt to stay, but I declined as his electronics were basic Sony receiver type stuff, figured I'd use my McIntosh stuff instead.

It has a Sony G90u projector witha 10 ft "Custom" Stewart screen.

What would be a good offer for those two pieces?

I asked him if he knew the hours on the projector but he didnt. House is 2 years old so I know the age, just not the hours.

If it is high hours, what the useful life / cost before refurb / replacement of the crts may be necessary etc...

Thanks in advance for any help, moving soon and need to make a decision.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I would give him no more than $10k. It will cost him at least that to take it with him. Plus he probably wants to move to digital.

Once you say come get the stuff, that $10k offer will probably look very good to him. No hassles can be priceless!

Caspyr, I'd start the conversation out with "why would anybody want a CRT when everybody is moving to digital?"

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it not a good idea to even try to get this projector, I only know it was a high end unit, is there a better option with digital for less money?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Being that its considered one of the top of the line projectors out there, I would try to keep it especially if you could get it for 10K. Tryg is right that to take it with him it might be more than a hassle than its worth. On the other some people would rather loose time and money if they think a deal is not worth itl

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sony is now producing a new digital projector called the Qualia SXRD. Sony claims it is the replacement for the G90. It is as big as a G90. I have seen the proto-type, the picture is NOT as good as the G90. The MSRP is $25k, without lens...... You should be happy for a few years with a G90 for $10k. Reed.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Caspyr, I'm just saying what I would do.

Yes it's an awesome projector. BUT they sold for $40k two years ago. today you can find em for $15k or less. So the rapid depreciation is something to factor. Sony also has discontinued them to persue Digital more heavily.

Considering these things and that many now prefer digital for the lower maintanance aspects he shouldn't expect too much. Also his other equipment is likely outdated.

Given these things, for $20k you can put together one hell of a modern HT equipment list

$10k is fair in my honest opinion, not knowing what the other equipment is. Otherwise I'd use the money toward new stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
After dropping the audio portions of the "installed system" what else is there ?

I'll bet he has allot more on the video end equipment wise than the G90 to base your offer on.

You probably can guess the hours on of course the time it's been installed and by asking him what he watches and if there are kids. I would guess under 2K hours though if the unit was new when he got it.

I think you'll come out OK with a $10-15K offer depending on what other video gear is included. If you go digital later, selling the pj it might be close to a wash for you.

A ten foot screen seem's to be pushing it a bit, he'd really have to be cranking those tubes hard and that isn't good.

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Yes, the G90 projector probably has the best image that can be produced in a home theater. They sold for $ 38,000 about a year ago, the SXRD does not look as good but the G90 is used and the input thus far is also probably true. If he loved it that much he would have it packed up and as safe as his family:D He has his eye on something else but I would agree,strike a bargain that would allow you to get it if possible, letting him know it is used and that CRT is on the way out as a technology. His offer is way off ( even new they are $23- 26,000 right now) unless I've missed something ( like say a Faroudja 5000 feeding it may be one of those unknowns).

Art

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Comont's right. Plus, if he's one of us, we'd want to treat him right (don't want to be on the short end of that stick somewhere down the road! :rolleyes: ).

And I agree - between 10 and 15 is fair, depending on the condition of the tubes.

Oh, and here's the question: all of us debate about does an HT add to the price of the home. So - did it?

Randy

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
It is somewhat hard to conceive that G90 with Stewart sc is matched with Sony receiver. What is the g90 driven by? If a high end processor, that would make it a little more worthy. Find out about the condition of the tubes to see what you are getting into regardless of asking price. Not every one who is selling a CRT is about to jump into the digital world. Only a digital man would think that. A G90 is a highly refined piece of equipment. It will put up a picture that is second to none. Until there is a serious competition, it will be a guess at best when G90 will be retired from picture quality stand point. Once you know the tube condition (assuming in good condition), 10K would be a win win situation for you since the PJ is already in place, tuned for prime time.

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
I agree with Tryg, JimmyR, Art & CptnRandy. Good advice.

Dont pay much over 10K if possible. It will cost well over 10K to re tube this projector when that day comes.

Just my 2 cents that may save you thousands.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses folks !!!

This house is one those once in a lifetime deals we just couldnt pass up, but spending an extra 50K to keep his equipment was beyond us.

Here is the equipment he has listed for 50K

Sony VPU-G90u

Focus Quad Scan Elite

Sony 39000es DSP

Sony n9000ss amp

Sony DVP-770

Sony SLV-998

Paradigm LCR350 L, C, R

ADP-350 Surrounds

Stewart Custom 10 ft Screen

HD DSS

Middle Atlantic Rack

Pronto remote.

Would love to make it easy and just give him the 50K, but if I have to I will just stick my mac and and my 56" in there until I can figure out what to do.

The room looks finished, but he never finished the curtains, window coverings (Currently just blacked out with panels) or automating the lighting. Its all wired (Whole house is wired PHAST Landmark) but he never finished hooking up those elements.

Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming !!!

Never looked at projection before so I got a lot to learn, and I know this is the place to do it.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Did he work for Sony?;)

$15k Max! but only cause it's already hooked up

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I can't believe he paired a G90 with a cheapo Focus Quad Scan VP! Clearly not a member of this group. :)

The only good stuff in that list is the G90 and the Stewart screen. Audio is only OK. Give him $10K. Sounds like he got took for a ride by one of those HT "experts". Clearly, this wasn't installed by one of our guys!

Dan

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I've never had a ton of interest in getting a CRT, but if I could get a G90 with a situation like that for even close to $10k I wouldn't pass it up. That is, assuming that it was in good shape. It might be worthwhile to get somebody knowledgable out there to see if they can figure out how much wear there is on it and how much life it should have left before retubing. I have a feeling that G90 tubes will be much cheaper in a few years, but with limited supply maybe that won't come to pass.

--Darin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.