AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I moved a few months ago I can't figure out why the audio coming out of the center channel is muffled. It my old house everything sounded great. I moved into my new place, which is a little smaller and i j ust sounds too muffled. I swapped optical cables in case it was damaged moving and it did nothing, I swapped the speaker cable, and still nothing. Swapped the front and rear center to see and it's still the same. Could it be the receiver? The receiver is a Yamaha RXV730, and klipsch speakers. I don't see a reset button on the receiver, just in case I hit something that I am unaware of, but the receiver isn't a top of the line one with lots of settings, so I don't know. I moved everything myself, so I know the receiver didn't get dropped or anything. If it is the receiver, is it fixable because right now I am not in a position to drop money on a new receiver. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Could be "the room"

Many center channel issue are tracked back to a poor room is all.

Are you sure your tweet is working? That wold be fairly common after a move that the connection to it internally has been jar'd loose or knocked off entirely.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
He did try a different speaker, I believe. So we should be able to rule out bad or blown tweeters. My best guess is room related. Did you try bumping up the center level by 3Db?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12989510

He did try a different speaker, I believe. So we should be able to rule out bad or blown tweeters. My best guess is room related. Did you try bumping up the center level by 3Db?

I've played with the level before but I had never noticed an improvement. Right now it's calibrated with the other speakers. If it's the "room" what can I do? Does changing the paramenters on each DSP setting work? The manual says not to change them and I haven't. Would shrinking the size on the room do anything, or it won't matter because it's the room. If it's the room, would another type of center channel do a better job in the room?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe too basic but....is the phase on the center correct?

I know that if my mains are out of phase with each other the soundfield collapses into a murky mess, and I would hazard a guess that there is enough info duplicated in the fronts and center that this could be an issue.

May be way off on this but worth a look......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard /forum/post/12993471

Maybe too basic but....is the phase on the center correct?

I wish man. That was one of the first things I checked.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Room issues are tough with the center.

I'm still not sure that's what is going on here.

Try telling the system it has no center as a test, if there is an improvement? It can indicate a room issue.

Can you try a different AVR?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Most likely it is the new room or speaker placement in relation to walls, floor and ceiling. Is the speaker above or below the display? Usually above is better. If below be sure you have carpet or a rug in front to reduce floor bounce. Otherwise you probably have a higher or lower ceiling than before, or more reflections that are causing the problem. Try putting sound absorbent material or panels on sidewalls and (if necessary) the ceiling where the first (direct) reflection occurs. You can use a mirror on the wall or ceiling as viewed from the main listening position (with a little help from a friend) to locate those direct reflections. And don't forget the backwall. If your backwall is much closer than before you could also get interference from direct reflections there - if so use the same treatment. If you have not already done so it will help you to read some good articles on audio acoustics for HT. Audioholics or Ecoustics is a good source for such articles.

That said, is it possible your receiver or audio processor was damaged in the move? Have you tried a replacement processor?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/12999399

Most likely it is the new room or speaker placement in relation to walls, floor and ceiling. Is the speaker above or below the display? Usually above is better. If below be sure you have carpet or a rug in front to reduce floor bounce. Otherwise you probably have a higher or lower ceiling than before, or more reflections that are causing the problem. Try putting sound absorbent material or panels on sidewalls and (if necessary) the ceiling where the first (direct) reflection occurs. You can use a mirror on the wall or ceiling as viewed from the main listening position (with a little help from a friend) to locate those direct reflections. And don't forget the backwall. If your backwall is much closer than before you could also get interference from direct reflections there - if so use the same treatment. If you have not already done so it will help you to read some good articles on audio acoustics for HT. Audioholics or Ecoustics is a good source for such articles.

That said, is it possible your receiver or audio processor was damaged in the move? Have you tried a replacement processor?

My current room is smaller than the room at my old house. It's temporary but still. The center is also below the tv this time. Before I had it above the tv because I had the big old crt tv. However it died shortly before moving and I bought an lcd rear projection, and table for it. I'll try and see if I can put a carpet or something soft on the floor and walls and see if that helps me a bit. I can't try a different receiver as I currently don't have another one. I would eventually like to move this receiver into my bedroom and get a better room for out here, but that will be down the road. Since my speaker is a Klipsh synergy I could pick one up at BEstbuy to see if it's the speaker just in case, and return it afterwards too. However I am going to try to the carpet suggestion to see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts