AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the CNET review and it was really good. This model has nearly everything the Denon AVR2807 has and then some. 120W/ch with 7.1 and HDMI. It is also substantially cheaper than the Denon and can be bought for $600.

I'm more of a video guy than an audio guy - can someone please tell me why this receiver isn't more popular and people stick with similar Denon and Onkyo models that cost $1000 or a little more for the same features?

Aren't the speakers more important than the receiver?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
One problem I had with the str 3200es, which is very similar to the one you want, is video degradation. Any video that went into the receiver and came out hdmi, including hdmi sources, looked bad. Another is an incompatibility with a ps3 if your tv has a dvi connection.

To me, the audio portion sounded better than the denon 2807.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never heard of that as an issue. I wouldn't be expecting the DG1000 to do any video upscaling, as I will have a Sony XBR3 TV shortly. For high def coming from the cable box, I would think I can run HDMI directly to the TV and wouldn't the cable box have audio out that I can connect to the receiver?

Would I be losing any audio by not sending the cable box HDMI to the receiver? I think its the same audio channels either way, isn't it? The cable box is an explorer 8300.

Do I really need to send video through the receiver anyway if I have a TV like the Sony XBR3?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
The real issue is the stigma of non es line Sony AVR's. This one may be an exception, but in the past all but the ES line really sounded beyond laid back, and generally had very little high end response. They worked well with extremely bright / forward speakers though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Many send all video directly to their display and audio only to the receiver. I do it that way so I can adjust each input for the source. I also don't much care to run the entire audio system just to watch the news.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You say they have very little high end and and work well with bright/forward speakers. Got any suggestions? I probably need to get new speakers as it is. I don't need super high quality and I don't have the greatest ear as it is.

Can you name a few please? Maybe a few under $1000 for a full setup and a few more around $1500 to $2000. I'd prefer to not spend over $1000 and just looking for the best bang for the buck as they say.

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lffisher /forum/post/0

You say they have very little high end and and work well with bright/forward speakers. Got any suggestions? I probably need to get new speakers as it is. I don't need super high quality and I don't have the greatest ear as it is.

Can you name a few please? Maybe a few under $1000 for a full setup and a few more around $1500 to $2000. I'd prefer to not spend over $1000 and just looking for the best bang for the buck as they say.

Thanks

This post is probably better off in the speaker forum, you will get a lot of opinions here. This is what I have and love the sound, this is what it will set you back:

NHT Classic Three [mains] (about $300 each street)

NHT Classic Three C
(about $400 street)

NHT Absolute Zeros [surround] (about $125 each street)

if you want to add a Subwoofer this is typically the most expensive speaker in your setup - you can go cheap but I would not recommend it, I am looking at getting the SVS SB12-Plus which they sell for $700 (they have lower models in the $500 range)

w/ the SB12-Plus this would put you just under the $2k range - take out the subwoofer and it drops down to $1300, alternatively you could go with the Three & Three C (90% of your sound will be coming from these w/ no subwoofer), and then add the surrounds & subwoofer when you can afford it.​

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/0

Sony has it's own idea of bass management. Their slopes are always different than the standard. I wouldn't get a Sony for that reason alone.

Ed

Nice speaker budget. Hard to argue at all with the above NHT / SVS suggestions. And that would certainly make for a for a wonderfull sounding system.

If you were on the ultra cheap I'd be suggetsing Klipsch, but your not. It is hard to say, this AVR may not be sonically like that at all. I really don't know.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lffisher /forum/post/0

Could you point me to somewhere online that discusses the Sony bass issues you speak of? I can't seem to find anything online....

Thanks

I don't know of any discussions of the issue. But it's a fact that the slopes of Sony receivers are not the nominal 24 dB/octive low-pass and 12 dB/octave high-pass. Reviews with measurements confirm this. An example is here . Some high end pre/pros allow you to change the slopes. That's good - but the Sony is fixed at the off nominal.

Ed

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I took a peek inide this receiver and was surprised to find the power supply had the ES logo on it. As a pre pro it looks like a bargain if all else works right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.