AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - looking for some guidance. TV is a 60" Samsung Plasma, about 2-2.5 years old ; PN60E8000GFXZ

Here are the symptoms:
1) TV would shut off, and blinking red light would come on
2) I would unplug TV for a bit, plug back in and TV would come on for a brief period of time
3) TV would shut off, blinking red light returns.
4) after surviving like this for a week or so, I eventually heard a loud "pop" from the TV.
since then, I've kept it unplugged.
Upon lots of research, I honed in on what appeard to be a very common Samsung issue. I was hoping to take the TV down, remove the back panel, and see a few bulging/blown capacitors and replace them on the power supply board. Youtube had this well documented with what appeard to be exactly my issue.
To my displeasure, visual inspection showed that all capacitors appear to be fine (i.e, no bulging, disformation, etc.).
At this point, not exactly sure what to do next. Are there specific components on the power supply board I can look at / test (with a voltmeter?)
Should I look into replacing the entire power supply board?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
giving it one last bump...thx for any insights.

Surprised you have not gotten any feedback yet. I had same issue last week, 64PNE7000 had three incidents of power switching after 2.5 years of good use, then "pop" and no more display or sound. Came here, got some info, google'd some more and came to the same conclusion you likely did.

If you have no display and do have sound - then likely Y-Sustain/Main Board failure.
If you have no display and no sound - then likely power supply failure.

I heard pop and had no odor of smoke, when I pulled of back panel I saw no visible damage - but then I pulled off power supply board and found large black scorch mark to back of circuit board and flair up transferred black soot the size of a quarter to the back of the TV. Just installed a repaired power supply board 2 days ago and TV is working again.

Try pulling your power supply board and making a visual inspection of the back side to see any failures.

Incidentally, now I'm trying to grasp a wifi module failure that occurred over a year ago, and my research indicates that people were attributing wifi failure to be causing intermittent power supply issues - so this is where I am at considering waiting on a wifi module replacement and firmware upgrade upon receipt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprised you have not gotten any feedback yet. I had same issue last week, 64PNE7000 had three incidents of power switching after 2.5 years of good use, then "pop" and no more display or sound. Came here, got some info, google'd some more and came to the same conclusion you likely did.

If you have no display and do have sound - then likely Y-Sustain/Main Board failure.
If you have no display and no sound - then likely power supply failure.

I heard pop and had no odor of smoke, when I pulled of back panel I saw no visible damage - but then I pulled off power supply board and found large black scorch mark to back of circuit board and flair up transferred black soot the size of a quarter to the back of the TV. Just installed a repaired power supply board 2 days ago and TV is working again.

Try pulling your power supply board and making a visual inspection of the back side to see any failures.

Incidentally, now I'm trying to grasp a wifi module failure that occurred over a year ago, and my research indicates that people were attributing wifi failure to be causing intermittent power supply issues - so this is where I am at considering waiting on a wifi module replacement and firmware upgrade upon receipt.
Thx for reply. Was pumped to read your reply and was optimistic I'd see same thing. Just ran downstairs, pulled off the psb, turned it over...and....looks fine. Darn. With that loud pop I fully expected to see some obvious evidence of a burn, but all looks clean.
The board I need for this model seems to be out of stock/not made anymore. Was figuring I'd throw a $100 psb into it and hoped that worked. No luck finding one, so I ended up biting bullet today and an in-home technician is coming Friday. $100 to just show up. Will be a bummer when they end up replacing a $2 capacitor....but at least(hopefully) they'll be able to find out which one is gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

I fully inspected the PSB. Saw nothing obvious. TV laid on the floor, back open, easy access. I called samsung, who then put me in touch with a local service co / samsung guy.
He came out. Put in a new PSB. $179 for the PSB. $230 for the visit/labor (which, was basically turning 5 screws)....plugged in and it came back on.
Said these new power boards are much better-should last 10 years! (even though the original only lasted two years).

He drove off. I put TV back together, back on wall. Powered up. Image came on for 20 minutes.....then it kicked off again, red light flashing again. Great. What a waste.
Called technician back up....he returned call, and said they've been having trouble with these PSB's, so he ordered a new one, and will be back out in the coming days to replace it. So much for this "new one" that should last me 10 years.

I really hope it is just the PSB....and that the "new one" they put in was defective...although my confidence is lowering...even after seemingly wasting almost $400 to date.

Annoyed, very much so....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
same problem. replaced main board and now it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the board. You just need to find a place that will sell it to you. Replacement is simple. When i was looking online, all places said 'out of stock'. But, after talking to technician who was an authorized Samsung dealer, they can get them real easy.
I still can't believe what they charged me for minutes of work to swap the board. And I had diagnosed it correctly too!
Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.