AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the AE900 and Oppo DVD player with high hopes, but the PQ is way below expectations. For example, anytime there's a dark object against a light background, there's a ghost around the object. The objects also look blurrier than I'd expect with a digital connection, enough that I'd compare it to S-Video.

Here's a link that shows what I mean. There's a "ghost" around the boy's head and the stick on the right. It looks similar to jpeg artifacting, but that's what the picture actually looks like.

http://www.hankenmono.com/zhobbies/m...t-ghosting.jpg

About the set up:

DVD connected to the PJ via HDMI, 720p 60 fps, also tried 1080i, 480p, different DVI cable, using component cable instead of HDMI. Latest version of 971h software loaded. Sharpness disabled on PJ.

I have the PLV70 and Sanyo Z4, both using another Oppo 971h. I don't recall seeing anything this bad with either. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be or do you see similar quality with your AE900U?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Be sure to turn off noise reduction.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piney
I bought the AE900 and Oppo DVD player with high hopes, but the PQ is way below expectations. For example, anytime there's a dark object against a light background, there's a ghost around the object. The objects also look blurrier than I'd expect with a digital connection, enough that I'd compare it to S-Video.

Here's a link that shows what I mean. There's a "ghost" around the boy's head and the stick on the right. It looks similar to jpeg artifacting, but that's what the picture actually looks like.

http://www.hankenmono.com/zhobbies/m...t-ghosting.jpg

About the set up:

DVD connected to the PJ via HDMI, 720p 60 fps, also tried 1080i, 480p, different DVI cable, using component cable instead of HDMI. Latest version of 971h software loaded. Sharpness disabled on PJ.

I have the PLV70 and Sanyo Z4, both using another Oppo 971h. I don't recall seeing anything this bad with either. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be or do you see similar quality with your AE900U?
Have you checked out the settings at this link? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6722751

There's no way you should even be thinking about comparing the oppo through DVI to something with S-Video: make sure you are calibrated.

Also, from the picture you've thrown up, it looks like a poorly authored DVD. Have you tried any reputable DVDs (the usual suspects [the cliche not the film]: superbit DVDs, LOTR EE, most things by Criterion, etc.)? The oppo can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, and all that.

Dave

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I would also review the AE900 thread on softness. Check to make sure you don't have a convergence problem. I have this combo and and SDI player to the DVDO VP30....though the later out performs the former...the OPPO and AE900 are a solid combo and put out a terrific pic. And, yes I did calibrate and used Mike's setting with a 81EF filter for better blacks etc. You got to put some research time and effort to get the most of the picture...it's not all plug and play.

Ron

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noise reduction was off, and the settings are the same as the link provided. Toggling Truelife on and off doesn't make a difference.

The DVD is the 5th Element, wide screen. Although it's not Superbit, I've used this with other projectors and I haven't seen these artifacts with the transfer. It's the scene near the beginning of the movie. I shot the right half of the scene to more easily show the ghost artifact.

I have the Oppo 971H with the Sanyo Z4 and the image is excellent. Even the Momitsu (precursor to Oppo) and PLV70 looked much better.

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional sources here so it's difficult to isolate whether this is the projector or the player.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I understand your first post correctly, both DVI/HDMI and Component have the same problem. If so, I would suspect the PJ, the DVD, or possibly the screen, as being the culprit.

Can you provide some more background on the install. Is everything new, or just the Oppo, or just the AE9000?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Have you calibrated your PJ with Avia or a similar disc? If not, you should. For a quick test, try changing the sharpness setting in the AE900. The sharpness adds artificial edge enhancement which could be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I didn't have time to get a calibration DVD. What I finally did was this:

1. Reduced sharpness from 0 to lowest value (-3 or -4?). I guess 0 doesn't really mean 0.

2. Set high gamma to -4.

The above settings eliminated most the ghosting and threw a pretty nice image. Although some dark objects still show some artifacts, the image quality seems to be better than the Z4 out of the box. Now to work on the Z4....

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piney
Unfortunately I didn't have time to get a calibration DVD. What I finally did was this:

1. Reduced sharpness from 0 to lowest value (-3 or -4?). I guess 0 doesn't really mean 0.

2. Set high gamma to -4.

The above settings eliminated most the ghosting and threw a pretty nice image. Although some dark objects still show some artifacts, the image quality seems to be better than the Z4 out of the box. Now to work on the Z4....

Thanks for the help!
A critical review/comments about a projector without any calibration. Dude, you should know better. ;)

Ron

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster
A critical review/comments about a projector without any calibration. Dude, you should know better. ;)

Ron
By definition, "out of the box" means "uncalibrated" :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.