AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a pair of NHT iC2 In-Ceiling speakers and tried to install them today. I cut the holes in the ceiling and found my pre-wire and hooked them up to the speakers. This is when the problems started...

The NHT has four screws with clips that clamp down on the drywall as you screw them tight. I was able to tighten the screws most of the way but it was a pain as the screws were very tough to tighten. Before I was able to finish, though, three of the screws were stripped so the screwdriver now slips out of the screwhead as I try to tighten. I cannot finish tightening the screws and there is still about 3/4- 1 inch left until the speaker is flush with the ceiling.

So... What should I do?

I've thought about the following:

1 - Put superglue around the outer rim of the speaker where it meets the ceiling. Is this a bad idea? Will this hold the speaker to the ceiling? Any effect on sound?

2 - Cut out more of the ceiling so I can pull the speaker back out then patch up the ceiling. I was thinking about finding similar screws and replace the stripped ones then start the process over. What a pain!

Any thoughts? My other Paradigm in-ceiling speakers were no problem installing - these NHT ones are a pain!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I've had this happen a couple of times until I learned to press extra hard on the powered screwdriver. I was hoping the new ones would be improved (still waiting for mine). Plan 2 is the best. Plan 1 likely won't work. You haven't been able to reverse the screws?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't really follow your description of the problem to a tee so take this with a grain of salt. Kinda have to be there to see it....

To get the speaker off, you need to drill out the heads of the stripped screws. Use a sharp drill bit slightly larger in diameter than the threaded shaft of the screw your trying to remove. The head will drop off and once you remove the speaker, you can use vise grips or pliers to back the screw out.

I'm not sure why it was so hard to screw it in. Are you mounting directly into a stud? If so, you ought to drill a guide hole slightly narrower than the screw first. It will make screwing it in 100x easier.

Hope this helps! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.