AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few hours ago I just got my material onto the frame. It took me and a few others about an hour to get it stretched. Its a pretty good job I think considering none of has had any prior experience.

Anyways, I ended up using the sheen side because I have heard that this way is the best to go, and I did like the look of it before I stretched it onto the frame.

I would be quite happy with using this side of the screen except for the fact that I think I have what is called a hotspot. When I sit in the center of the room there is an area about 1ft wide and about 3ft tall that is considerably brighter than the rest of the area, it isn't just brighter its sort of shimmering. when I move to the left or right the hot spot moves to the left or the right. The image to the left/right of the hotspot looks great to me. Is it possible to somehow get rid of it. Could I try moving the projector back. I also put some duventyn backing on the wall 3 inches behind the screen and it made no difference.

I turned the screen to the other side to have another look at the matte side .95gain. The hotspot is gone but I don't prefer the picture as much. Imho its kind of dull, and I swear I can notice the texture of the screen in some scenes/backgrounds etc. The picture just doesn't seem to be as clear as the sheen side, even when I compared them side by side. These differences are barely noticeable but I would like to have the sheen side/w no hotspotting which is really obvious.

Another problem if I decide to use the matte side is that, I don't want to take the material off and start all over, or somehow deal with using the back side of the frame I made. I would much rather use the sheen side if I could get rid of the hot spot somehow.

So is there anything I could do, short of getting a different screen all together. Would maybe moving the projector back work (this would require me to remount the pj)? or some sort of filter? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sorry, can't help you with your choices, but I wanted to chime in on the sheen side. I also got my Dazian set up last night (sheen side), and it hotspots like crazy! I don't think the sheen side will be usable as-is.

It was late so I didn't strip it & try the matte side, but I don't like the look of the texture. I may consider painting the sheen side, but I have to sit & think on this for a day or two.

Too bad because, as you say, the sheen side looks quite excellent apart from the major hotspot:(

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well that's a bummer! I am waiting on delivery of some of this same material. I bought it to use the sheen side as a lower-cost Draper M1300 equivalent... Looks like I made a mistake. Hotspotting is completely unacceptable to me. I don't think the sheen side is really meant to be used, so we really can't even blame Dazian for this...

I haven't heard any hotspot complaints about the Draper. Does anyone know if it has the same problem? If not, it looks like I will probably have to switch to the Draper material....

Anybody interested in 3 yds. of un-used Dazian?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a Draper M1300 that I've used for years with various (LCD/DLP) projectors. I've never noticed any hotspotting at any angle with any projector. I think you'll be happy with it.

If my new set up could accomodate it I'd definately use the M1300. I will be using the Dazian Celtic Cloth instead. Depending on what I can get for my Draper, I may sell it. Send me a PM with an offer if you're interested. The size is 106" 16:9. It's a Cineperm.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Sorry guys if I turned you on to this with inaccurate info. The samples I got looked identicle to the PVC that Draper/Vutec uses. Apparently the sheen side may be too much on the Dazian. I should get a larger piece and do some experimenting.

I'll update my review. Thanks for the info

Maybe if you wash the screen a couple times with some detergent or somthing etc it will take off the factory sheen enough to eliminate the hotspotting.

Please experiment and report back. Also try wetting a towel down with acetone and giving it a quick light once over. This should dull the finish.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can't think of anything....

The Dazian only cost me ~$50, so if I can't find anyone interested in it, I will probably just have to chalk it up to experience...

I may check out the "proper" .95 gain side. I'm sure it would be fine for many applications, and it may be OK for mine, too. I really wanted to try something with gain > 1, and wide viewing cone. I think the Draper M1300 is going to be the way to go for me....

The non-sheen Dazian will probably be very similar to the Parkland Plastic screen I already have....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tryg...

Don't you think taking the sheen off will simply make it behave the same as the non-sheen side? i.e. you lose the hotspot, but you also lose the gain. Might as well use the "right" side in the first place, no?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
yes.

I'm not sure why people expect to see differences between 1 and 1.2 on the gain chart. The differences are so subtle often equipement can't recognize it. How then can the human eye?

Try the textured side for a while

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah... Makes me wonder why they rate the Dazian at 0.95 gain.... Is it really accurate to 2 decimals? Why not just call it 1 like everyone else?

BTW, in your test pics, the Dazian was displayed with the textured side out, wasn't it? Even then it looks very similar to the M1300, at least from the photos.....Similar brightness and viewing cone, etc... So perhaps the textured Dazian will be ok... I'll give it a try... Have to wait till sundown, though... no light control in my family room/HT...

- Frank

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure they really isn't a big difference but my sheen side is already stretched all nice and I don't want to have to do it all over again, but I will try to take some sheen off and if that doesn't work, i'll flip it over. As long as I don't use something that ruins both sides.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tried out the Dazian last night. Just draped it over my Parkland Plastics. Covered half the screen so I could do direct comparisons.

To my eyes the Parkland has a slight edge over the Dazian. The gain of the Dazian is definitely lower, but strangely it doesn't seem to improve blacks, so the end result seems to be an overall darker image with less contrast....

I did my testing by first covering the right half of the screen with the Dazian, and playing some sample scenes (used Shakespeare in Love and SpiderMan.) Then I moved the Dazian over to the left and repeated the same scenes. In virtually every case I preferred the Parkland side to the Dazian....

Perhaps it will get better if properly tensioned, and backed with some light absorbing material, but as it is, I'm not overly impressed. I have requested some samples of Draper materials and will do some more testing when they arrive.

I did take a quick look at the sheen side, but did not like the hot-spotting, so did not really want to waste any time on it.

King: Do you have anything to report on the sheen-reduction attempts?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm worried about what to use, what is acetone? I tried some detergent and water on a towel and I didn't notice, but I couldn't really do it very vigourosly, I'll keep trying though

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the residue from the detergent does take the sheen down some, but I couldn't get it on there very evenly and the screen takes on a dirty sort of look, so I wiped it off. I then used some nail polish w/acetone, I tryed a few coats of proggresively more and more acetone, but no sucess, it may have improved it a bit but its still there.

What else should I try??

·
Registered
776 Posts
I tried a few items, 91% isopropyl alcohol, Goof-Off , and a couple detergents, all with no luck. I don't think you can treat that surface & get good results.

I did turn it around & try the matte side last night. It does look good, better than I thought it might. It's very uniform, and smoother than I suspected, seeing as how I didn't like the look of the texture.

I do think, however, the texture makes some forms of artifacting more obvious. The vertical-pan scanline effect on my HS10 is a good example. I only see it clearly on certain products, and while this one isn't the worst it's worse than some. I suspect I'll need a smooth surface for my needs, but I sit very close (around 1.2-1.3x screen width). If you sat further back it wouldn't matter.

I'd say it's a good value for the money, and a little better than my painted projects, but it's only a brief stopover for me. Unless I win the lottery (or a Firehawk raffle), I think I'll try some Draper M1300 next.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
same here I couldn't find anything that got the sheen off, so I flipped the material around last night. Its pretty similar but for some reason I to see some sort of artifacting as well, I don't know the proper names but I see some sort of texture or grainyness on Frodo's face when he is leaving Rivendell in Lotr EE. I don't know if its my distance, the source what have you but I didn't notice it as much on the sheen side. Oh well the Dazian is pretty cheap and it will suit my needs until I can do something w/it or buy something else. For future reference, is it possibe to paint this sort of screen w/something like Goo, or liquiscreen if I ever was so inclined?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.