AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully somebody can help me.


I just got my refurb S4 mounted on my ceiling ~14 ft from my screen (distance is midway point of range as per the throw chart on Marantz's and the owners manual's chart) and I am projecting onto a Carada 16x9 92" screen. There was some question as to which lense I had received in my S4 since the case of the PJ was white, but after having Marantz look up the serial #, I have the VP12S4S, 'S' at end is for 'Standard' lense, others have referred to as the 'Medium throw' lense. Long story short, the PJ is mounted the correct throw distance from my screen as far as I can tell.


I am in the process of trying to dial in the settings/setup of the PJ, and for some reason, I cannot get the intial non-sourced blank-screen image to shrink down far enough to fill out the screen perfectly, there is about a 1 foot overlap on all sides. The manual zoom dial on the lense is zoomed in as far as it can go. I can change the aspect ratio, shrink the picture down, etc, to make the actual picture image fit my screen, however, there is still the area outside of the screen that is there, it is dark but visible. When I do the test pattern or when the menus come up, it then shows up very visable, of course, that the PJ is projecting outside of the screen. I have tried messing with all of the settings inside the PJ, but I cannot get the complete image to fit my screen??


Sorry if I am not using very technical terms to describe this, but I am a first-time owner of a PJ, and somewhat of a HD and HT newb.


Can anyone lead me in the right direction to fix this issue? If there is any questions that will help your answer, i can elaborate futher on what I have tried so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,859 Posts
1 foot over spill on all sides at minimum (no) zoom and still not small enough to fit your screen means you need to mount the PJ closer (sounds like the calculator is wrong for your model) .


-- Jason
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisatc /forum/post/14167534


Hopefully somebody can help me.


I just got my refurb S4 mounted on my ceiling ~14 ft from my screen (distance is midway point of range as per the throw chart on Marantz's and the owners manual's chart) and I am projecting onto a Carada 16x9 92" screen. There was some question as to which lense I had received in my S4 since the case of the PJ was white, but after having Marantz look up the serial #, I have the VP12S4S, 'S' at end is for 'Standard' lense, others have referred to as the 'Medium throw' lense. Long story short, the PJ is mounted the correct throw distance from my screen as far as I can tell.


I am in the process of trying to dial in the settings/setup of the PJ, and for some reason, I cannot get the intial non-sourced blank-screen image to shrink down far enough to fill out the screen perfectly, there is about a 1 foot overlap on all sides. The manual zoom dial on the lense is zoomed in as far as it can go. I can change the aspect ratio, shrink the picture down, etc, to make the actual picture image fit my screen, however, there is still the area outside of the screen that is there, it is dark but visible. When I do the test pattern or when the menus come up, it then shows up very visable, of course, that the PJ is projecting outside of the screen. I have tried messing with all of the settings inside the PJ, but I cannot get the complete image to fit my screen??


Sorry if I am not using very technical terms to describe this, but I am a first-time owner of a PJ, and somewhat of a HD and HT newb.


Can anyone lead me in the right direction to fix this issue? If there is any questions that will help your answer, i can elaborate futher on what I have tried so far.

The 12S4S is the standard lens. The standard lens is the short throw lens. Go to this page: www.projectorcentral.com/Marantz-VP-12S4.htm and click product sheet and the literature from Marantz will tell you this info.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
You need to move the PJ closer. The calculator should be to the lens. Some people make the mistake of measuring to the PJ. Also, there were initially three models of the S4 with short, standard and long versions. I think the MBL model changed to two lenses that covered the same range as the three. Here is the throw chart, you might have the short throw.

http://us.marantz.com/Throw_Chart_VP12S4.pdf


Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/14167900


1 foot over spill on all sides at minimum (no) zoom and still not small enough to fit your screen means you need to mount the PJ closer (sounds like the calculator is wrong for your model) .


-- Jason

thanks jason, and yes, that is what I deduced also, however if you look at the link mjg100 put up: www.projectorcentral.com/Marantz-VP-12S4.htm and click users manual, on page 13 of the manual you will see that it says with a 16:9 92" screen, to mount the s4 between 138 7/16 in (roughly 11.5 ft) and 201 5/8 in (roughly 16.8 ft). The 14.5 ft (from screen to lense front) distance I have my s4 ceiling mounted at is right in the center of that. That calculator apparently is correct since those distances are reaffirmed here at Marantz's website: http://us.marantz.com/Throw_Chart_VP12S4.pdf for the 'Standard' lense?


The only thing I can come up with now is that perhaps my refurbed S4 has a 'short lense' in it instead of the 'standard lense' my serial number says it originally came with and should have in it (Marantz tech looked up my serial number and said it has a 'Standard' lense). Unless I am not doing something correct in my setup, then perhaps I should re-mount (what a pain the butt...) the PJ within the 'Short' lense throw distance and see if that works?? Notice those ranges are delineated in the above documentation, but not in the manual? Weird? Since one manual is used for all lense models, why wouldn't they have the distaces broke down via lense type in the manual, like at the Marantz link above?


what do you think?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,076 Posts
When the 12S4 first came out it as BobL said it had three throw ranges. The 12S4S was called the standard throw and it was a short throw projector.


Marantz literature:

"A Quantum Leap in Projector Performance

After the continuing evolution and success of the VP-12 series, people were asking, “how much better can it possibly get?” Upon witnessing

the VP-12S4, you will wonder how that could even be asked. The VP-12S4 will make your jaw drop with the smoothest, most seamless and

lifelike image ever delivered from a single chip solid state video projector. First, we start with the already proven platform of Texas Instruments’

HD2+ DLP®chipset. This year it has been improved by using their DarkChip 3 design, which tightens the space between the mirrors for even

less pixelization than before. In addition this chipset operates at a higher speed, reducing dither noise in low light portions of the image. As

in the previous generation, it also utilizes the seven segment color wheel which also aids in the reduction of temporal dithering. Then we add

a new lens to the already legendary and award winning lineup of optics from Konica-Minolta. This new lens is a middle throw distance lens

and fits comfortably between the original standard lens (now called the Short Throw) and the Long Throw lens."



As others have said the only solution is to move the projector closer. Not a bad thing since it will increase the lumens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL /forum/post/14168323


You need to move the PJ closer. The calculator should be to the lens. Some people make the mistake of measuring to the PJ. Also, there were initially three models of the S4 with short, standard and long versions. I think the MBL model changed to two lenses that covered the same range as the three. Here is the throw chart, you might have the short throw.

http://us.marantz.com/Throw_Chart_VP12S4.pdf


Bob

Thanks bob for the lense info. and yes, I agree, perhaps I have the short throw. I guess its time to re-mount halfway between roughly 9.87 ft and 11.45 ft. you agree?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisatc /forum/post/14168481


thanks jason, and yes, that is what I deduced also, however if you look at the link mjg100 put up: www.projectorcentral.com/Marantz-VP-12S4.htm and click users manual, on page 13 of the manual you will see that it says with a 16:9 92" screen, to mount the s4 between 138 7/16 in (roughly 11.5 ft) and 201 5/8 in (roughly 16.8 ft). The 14.5 ft (from screen to lense front) distance I have my s4 ceiling mounted at is right in the center of that. That calculator apparently is correct since those distances are reaffirmed here at Marantz's website: http://us.marantz.com/Throw_Chart_VP12S4.pdf for the 'Standard' lense?


The only thing I can come up with now is that perhaps my refurbed S4 has a 'short lense' in it instead of the 'standard lense' my serial number says it originally came with and should have in it (Marantz tech looked up my serial number and said it has a 'Standard' lense). Unless I am not doing something correct in my setup, then perhaps I should re-mount (what a pain the butt...) the PJ within the 'Short' lense throw distance and see if that works?? Notice those ranges are delineated in the above documentation, but not in the manual? Weird? Since one manual is used for all lense models, why wouldn't they have the distaces broke down via lense type in the manual, like at the Marantz link above?


what do you think?

Wrong link. You clicked the user manual and that is for the med throw 12S4. The other link "Product Sheet" gives the info for the various lenses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/14168510


Wrong link. You clicked the user manual and that is for the med throw 12S4. The other link "Product Sheet" gives the info for the various lenses.


yup, see that now. thanks for the help gentlemen. I will re-mount the PJ closer using this: http://us.marantz.com/Throw_Chart_VP12S4.pdf since I apparently have the 'old' Standard aka Short lens.


I just got mislead about which lense was in my PJ since in a different thread in this forum someone mentioned the white-cased s4 had the 'medium' throw lens in it (which later models apparenlty did), and the manual that came with my s4 only has the one throw distance chart, which apparenlty is for the later medium throw lenses only.

Thanks for the clarification and help. I will post any further questions I have, if any, here. A few come to mind already: should I use the 'economy' or 'normal' lamp mode setting, and what is the difference? how about the iris F5.0 or F3.0, seems like i recall with one the PJ's fan seemed to become louder? Which picture mode do you gentlemen prefer: Theater, Standard or Dynamic, and why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
You do indeed have the short throw version. The medium throw should read "VP12S4M"


I ordered the medium throw and received the short throw 12s4s. I contacted second act and they in turn contacted marantz about the screw up. It was the fault of marantz since they clearly labeled the projector as medium throw on the box. For the foul up marantz overnighted me the correct version, on top of that it has the charcoal finish that I prefer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Pictue mode I would set up some of the user modes. Set one with lamp on economy with F5.0 for viewing in the dark and one with lamp standard with F3.0 for some ambient light. I would normally use Standard Gamma but you can try the others if you want to add a little more brightness for ambient light conditions. You can have 9 user presets so why not use them. Standard setting is probably best out of the box if you don't use the user ones.


Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL /forum/post/14169997


Pictue mode I would set up some of the user modes. Set one with lamp on economy with F5.0 for viewing in the dark and one with lamp standard with F3.0 for some ambient light. I would normally use Standard Gamma but you can try the others if you want to add a little more brightness for ambient light conditions. You can have 9 user presets so why not use them. Standard setting is probably best out of the box if you don't use the user ones.


Bob

I could be wrong, as I am just starting to play with the settings, but I believe when I switched it to 'Standard' picture mode the image went into a 4:3 configuration? and on 'Theater' is seemed to be 16:9? Does that sound right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remounted my S4 for Short Throw lens. Fits screen just like it should, and looks stunning! Thankyou for your help guys.


Now......watch Blu-ray disks and play PS3 games in stunning 92" of HD!!!, and patiently wait for 'Confrontation' to release!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Frustrated with "long throw" characteristic...

THIS thread admittedly is several years old, but as long as there are new users for used 12S4, some vital queries will inevitably "foray" here, asking for help, mainly, from the seasoned owners. I recently took a black 12S4 with the 30.7-44.5 Konica-Minolta lens. It is said that this lens represent the medium throw model. My setup is an 86-inch screen and I don't want to go any bigger due to my small house and an eyesight that would be overwhelmed by anything larger. I owned also a white 12S4 and using that for several years and placing it 8 feet from the screen, and getting a respectable 60"-70" image, I always assumed all along that its the Marantz's regular, plain model. There is no problem with FOCUS & ZOOM, just turn it left, turn it right. But the black unit needs to be placed from 15 to 18 feet from my screen to obtain a perfect focus. The zoom & focus lens just will not work if I placed the 12S4 to my comfortable spot.
As a result, the unit easily fills up my 80" screen but because the lamp lifetime is already on its 1,500th hour mark, I'm given a dimmer picture. Most projection owner, as a rule, will always go for a bigger screen, but in my case I am simply contented with screen size from 60" to 70" because thats what my eyesight can bear at my age, AND because the closer the projector to the screen - the brighter will be the image. My befuddlement is this - why won't the zoom and focus worked when I pressed the black 12S4 closer to my modest screen? Is this due to the 30.7-44.5 lens model or a medium-throw 12S4 is simply made to be placed farther than the usual? Will be grate-full for the educating answer.....
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top