AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the advice from AVSForum, I am putitng together a new HTPC with the following components:

* AMD Athlon 1.2GHz, 133 FSB

* 1 GB RAM

* Radeon VE 32MB SDR

* Windows ME

* ABIT KT7A (KT133A chipset)

For some reason, I can't get the display driver to work. I have updated the VIA drivers to the latest ones, but still I get the following issues:

ATI Driver 4.13.7189 (latest): During installation, I get the message "The display adapter installed on this computer is not supported."

ATI Driver 4.13.7075: Installs okay, but after installation, whenever I click on the "Settings" tab in Control Panel->Display, my system hangs.

Any thoughts?

I'd appreciate any advice. Because in the meantime, I'm using this computer at 640x480 with 16 colors!!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try to install in this order: format drive clean, install windoze ME, install directX 8.0, and then install ATI drivers, and software last. If this does not work, try the v7199 beta drivers from www.3dchipset.com it works well and give overlay controls tab on display settings menu.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Is your ATI a true ATI card. I just posted somewhere here that some 3rd party manufacturers (powermagic being one) won't allow you to install ATI's drivers. You have to stick with theirs. If that's the case, return the card and get a true ATI card.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul, yes, I am using a true ATI card. Retail Box.

Huey, I did install those components, in exactly that order (clean install, DirectX 8, then drivers). There are no applications on my computer as of yet.

I uncovered one possibility ( http://support.ati.com/infobase/3835.html ) from ATI support indicating that CPUs with more than 512MB memory may have issues in WinME, so I will try that fix tonight.

If that doesn't work, then I will try the beta drivers.

Any other ideas, please let me know. This is infuriating!!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Henry,

We have similar setups with the exception of the chip/mobo. I use the Intel solution with the 7143 ATI drivers instead. You might search for those and try them. They have been very stable.

I did quite a bit of research here before I put together my HTPC and found that the VIA chipset solution was not the best scenario. I truly hope this is not your problem.

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your help so far.

Driver version 7199 (Beta, unsupported) works with 512MB system RAM (took out the other 512MB to reduce one potential variable). Thanks, Huey. Whether it's stable or not, I can't say yet...

P.S. This is sort of a "test" HTPC that will eventually only be used for home office (non-HTPC) use. Early next year, I'll put together the "real" HTPC, and I'll probably opt for the less-contentious Radeon LE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.