Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

i know there are a lot of experts here, so i'm looking for some help. here's the scenario.

i have a Nakamichi soundspace10. (surround receiver and dvd player combined).

pioneer 59avi going hdmi -> dvi into my plasma.

pioneer 59avi toslink to soundspace10 optical input.

when i start playing a dvd and audio is being transferred to the receiver through the toslink, my rear speakers are picking up some radio frequency.

if i unhook the toslink the radio sound is gone. (obviously the audio too)

i tried replacing the toslink with a coaxial, but it has the same problem, elimanting a cable problem.

i DON'T get the radio frequency when playing directly from the soundspace10 dvd player.

not sure if it is an issue, but i also have my satellite receiver connecting directly to the plasma, but nothing going to the soundspace10.

any help would be deeply appreciated.

thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
This simply means that somehow, the Pioneer is picking up an extraordinary amount of radio noise through it's case (probably ungrounded), which seems to be sensitive to this particular radio frequency (possibly close to the sampling frequency?). Are you 100% sure it's the radio? In general, this sounds really weird, but I can only outline the obvious. Try hard grounding the pioneer's case to the receiver's with a 12AWG wire and see what happens (metal to metal - paint doesn't conduct). Also, make sure this ground hit's earth ground of your electrical system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Mike,

i'll try that. is there any information online that shows how to "elegantly" ground from a metal case to another metal case?

originally i thought it was the new satellite signal coming in. i had the company ground the dishes. that didn't solve it.

the 59avi is a 2 prong, and i think my receiver is too. is it my receiver that is not grounded properly?

by the ways, the soundspace system has 2 powered subwoofers that are driving the rear speakers (they connect through there)

i cannot guarntee it's the radio, but it's definitely some sort of broadcast signal.

thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.