AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using WinDVD 3 on a Windows XP system. It seems to me that my system ought to be fast enough to play a DVD all the way through without skipping, but no matter what DVD I try, I get random 'stuttering' (I think this is the right term) where the picture and sound will 'freeze' for 0.5sec or so and then continue on.

Sometimes I can rewind and see another hiccup in the same scene (but not exactly the same place) and other times if I rewind it plays through cleanly. I see this on every DVD I play (tried over 30). If I can't get this fixed I'll have to go back to my dedicated DVD player.

I am running a clean install of WinXP Home. (There don't seem to be any registry settings or control panel options to increase buffering on the DVD player like there are in Win98.)

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:

MSI K7T266 Pro2 mainboard

AthlonXP 1700+ CPU

256MB PC2100DDR DRAM

nVidia GeForce2MX400 w/ 64MB

SB Audigy w/ HoonTech daughtercard

Creative DigitalVCR

WD 100GB HDD (on Primary IDE)

Toshiba SD-M1612 DVD (on Secondary IDE)

Linksys 10/100 Ethernet

Antec TruePower 330 power supply

·
Registered
51 Posts
jdifonzo,

what driver version do you use for your audigy? I have a soundblaster live 5.1 and solved ,y stutter problems by updating to the drivers from the Windows Update. PM me if you need a direct link.

Also, are your IDE channels running under DMA? make sure they are by going to Device Manager.

check these things and come back to us if there are still problems

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Try using Zoomplayer with a DVD graph that uses default waveout.

Directshow sound causes stuttering.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P3Animal, the IDE channels are using DMA. I am using the Audigy drivers that came on it's original install disk, and they are working and I am afraid to try to upgrade them because the last time I tried that the old stuff was left hanging and the machine would not boot and I had to do a clean install to fix things.

JackLT, are you saying that WinDVD is defective and I need a different software DVD player if I want stutter-free playback?

Thanks for the help so far... anyone else seeing my type of problem?

Does it seem right for this beefy machine to not play a DVD without stuttering?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just downloaded NVDVD from nVidia and watched Star Wars Episode II all the way through with no stutters. I guess this is a problem with WinDVD.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad to hear you solved the problem. I was experiencing stuttering with my SB Live 5.1 and the drivers fixed my problem. Though now I have a whole slew of other problems.

:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.