Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a TEAC AG-D9320 and an APEX DVD Player. (Apex so I could get an affordable Prog-Scan DVD Player for my HDTV screen).

My TEAC unit auto-switches to Pro-Logic each time, every time. I ahve no idea why. The DVD Player is connected to it via both the Optic and Coaxial digital way, and neither makes any difference. The receiver ALWAYS insists on switching to Pro-Logic. So all I'm getting is PL when I want discrete DD5.1 or DTS sounds from each of my speakers. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

The Receiver
http://www.teac.com/ConsumerAudio/Re...s/AG-D9320.htm

The DVD Unit
http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/html/AD-7701.html

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Have you gone into the DVD player's menu and set the digital output mode correctly? There are usually options for PCM only, DD/DTS, and DD/pro-logic. You want to select DD/DTS. Players ship from the factory with DD or PCM selected. BTW, this is different from selecting a particular soundtrack on an DVD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll double-check, but I believe I did when I first set it up a couple weeks back, I'll find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that was it. It had raw output vs PCM and I just set it to raw and right over my optical cable came DD 5.1 & DTS, the Receiver autoswitched to it as I wanted. Thanks very much, the sound is night and day from Pro Logic!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a similar problem when setting up my (new) system for the first time... finally figured it out after working on it for a few hours (over a couple days). And of course when you do, the answer is so simple.

One of the biggest differences I found was there seemed to be more bass in DD then PL. It's so much more enjoyable in DD.

BTW, what does PCM mean?

·
Registered
468 Posts
IIRC

Pulse Code Modulation

·
Registered
836 Posts
Actually I had no idea what it meant...and now I do!!!:)

There are so many acronyms now!

FWIW

LOL

ROLFL

IIRC

TTYL

OTOH

BTW

and on and on...

It is easy to mis-understand people on these msg boards!

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.