AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX Sr-607 Receiver that was giving me problems. Namely, the audio would cut out after any extended period of use. Right before cutting out, you could hear some static in the audio.

I tried all of the obvious things.

It wasn't overheating, but I set up 2 120mm fans to pull heat off the case anyway.

Double and triple checked the wiring. Then ran all new wiring. All wiring is 16ga, and none of the runs are more than ~30ft.

I sent the unit to the onkyo repair center (on my dime...thanks onkyo ****** warranty), and after a week and a half they called. "I've been running this thing for days straight and can't get it to repeat your problem" was what the guy said. He was helpful and chatted for a few minutes and said he'd try a few more things before shipping it back.

So, unless this repair guy doesn't know what he's doing, the problem is on my end.

There are NO shorts in the speaker wire. Not possible. I've gone over it multiple times, and completely rewired it.

Could it be in my speakers? The speakers in question are a small set from dayton audio, and a 12" dayton sub.

I'm stumped. The receiver will probably be back to me before weeks end, and I'm going to break something if it still doesn't work. ANY help/ideas/magical potions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
A malfunctioning speaker and/or crossover component is actually a more likely cause than AVR failuer for this behaviour in my expeirences.

Generally I try to have people only hook up a couple of speakers at a time and see if it does not exhibit the issue. Like the L/R fronts only.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgmann /forum/post/16909040

I have an Onkyo TX Sr-607 Receiver that was giving me problems. Namely, the audio would cut out after any extended period of use. Right before cutting out, you could hear some static in the audio.

I tried all of the obvious things.

It wasn't overheating, but I set up 2 120mm fans to pull heat off the case anyway.

Double and triple checked the wiring. Then ran all new wiring. All wiring is 16ga, and none of the runs are more than ~30ft.

I sent the unit to the onkyo repair center (on my dime...thanks onkyo ****** warranty), and after a week and a half they called. "I've been running this thing for days straight and can't get it to repeat your problem" was what the guy said. He was helpful and chatted for a few minutes and said he'd try a few more things before shipping it back.

So, unless this repair guy doesn't know what he's doing, the problem is on my end.

There are NO shorts in the speaker wire. Not possible. I've gone over it multiple times, and completely rewired it.

Could it be in my speakers? The speakers in question are a small set from dayton audio, and a 12" dayton sub.

I'm stumped. The receiver will probably be back to me before weeks end, and I'm going to break something if it still doesn't work. ANY help/ideas/magical potions would be greatly appreciated.

You have not supplied enough info..

1. How long is it on before it craps out?
2. Does it crap out on any specific input source FM? DVD? ALL?
3. Is the source input analog or digital?
3. If you disconnect ALL loudspeakers, and plug in head-phones do these have the same issue?

Post back and we will try to dig deeper..

Just my $0.025...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys,

a little more info.

How long before it craps out seems to be correlated to the volume. With a normal volume, ~40 of 80, it's between 30min and 2hrs.

Input source doesn't seem to matter. I've had it crap out with hdmi only, optical, spdif coax, and from an analog source (wii).

I can't test the headphone output now as the receiver is still at the repair shop.

The system runs through in wall wiring that I installed. I also tested it with wire running directly to the speakers.

I am competent with a multi tester, but A/V is not something I know much about. I checked all of the speakers' resistance just to make sure there wasn't a fail/short. I suppose I could open up each one and test th individual components.

As I said before, there is some faint crackling in the audio right before it cuts out. It seems like the receiver is going into protect mode and the power supply is overloading for some reason.

I tried running the unit through a line conditioner and a different power source. Not a likely culprit, and of course it didn't help.

Anyway, like I said, speakers are not my forte. Assuming the repairman is competent, the problem is on my end.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
This is a bit of a stab in the dark but I had a receiver once that would give out a loud pop through the speakers for no apparent reason, but it would at least keep on playing. I sent it for repair and was told it had a small hairline crack in the board's ground circuit that failed under heat. They hard-wired the ground and the problem went away. I can imagine a similar problem here except your receiver of course cuts off, probably because of it's protection circuit. It might be worth it to have someone to check the ground for that possibility. Otherwise, don't lose sleep - just buy a new receiver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice....

This receiver is still under warranty....so it will be fixed, or Onkyo will burn. When it returns, I'll systematically check every speaker I own. Hopefully I find the problem. If not, I'll take some blood pressure medication and send it back to Onkyo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts