AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing a Denon 3801 which does nnot even have HDMI.

I can purchase a Marantz SR7008 for 1000 Cdn. I have a 5.1 plus a single rear speaker at this time. They are matched Polks rt2000p with matching surrounds and center. (same series)

I have a professionally (Dennis Erskine) designed theater room so the acoustics are great. Would this be overkill for an amp. I like the setup with the MultEQ XT32 and the value at 1000.00 Canadian seems very good.

Any thoughts on an alternative at half this price or so? I don't need the multi-room capability or 9.1 etc.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You need to recognize that a big part of what you're paying for on the SR7008 is Audyssey XT32. I don't think you're going to find it on a unit much cheaper than that. You might be able to find a better deal than $999; but, I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Use your ears to adjust your speakers. All this talk about how great Audyssey is, its not mandatory. You really don't need it. After all, isn't it about what sounds good to you, and not what some program says?

I'm sure I will get flamed for those words, but you can do it all yourself with your own ears.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Use your ears to adjust your speakers. All this talk about how great Audyssey is, its not mandatory. You really don't need it. After all, isn't it about what sounds good to you, and not what some program says?

I'm sure I will get flamed for those words, but you can do it all yourself with your own ears.
Adjust them how, exactly? Audyssey is an automatic equalizer (among other things). If you want to "adjust by ear" (which is your choice) you still need an EQ with which to adjust. Audyssey XT32 is a huge improvement over other versions because it focuses its equalization on the low frequencies that benefit the most from EQ.

If you want to go down the PEQ / GEQ route, more power to you. A large number of folks (including myself) feel that Audyssey XT32 does a pretty good job of dialing in EQ across the spectrum for much less time and effort investment than measuring and dialing in a PEQ or graphic EQ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts