AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1.. I don't care about 3D. So any models that cost more due to that added technology would be wasted on me.

#2.. Willing to spend up to ~$1500. I know the rules on price talk, so no exact numbers or dealers please. Just general ballpark stuff and recommended models.

#3.. Any opinons on the LG 60PV450 or Panny TC-60PS34. Can get pretty good deals on either locally. Or, what others should I be looking at?

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20826141

#1.. I don't care about 3D. So any models that cost more due to that added technology would be wasted on me.

#2.. Willing to spend up to ~$1500. I know the rules on price talk, so no exact numbers or dealers please. Just general ballpark stuff and recommended models.

#3.. Any opinons on the LG 60PV450 or Panny TC-60PS34. Can get pretty good deals on either locally. Or, what others should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Personally, I'd spend a little bit more for a Samsung PN59D7000. Why didn't you list the Panasonic TC-P60ST30 either? They are the best two TVs you can buy for around the price you're asking for.

The thing is, great looking TVs also have great features like 3D. You're not going to find a great looking TV without 3D. It's like asking for a good 720P plasma. They don't exist because good looking TVs have the features, too.

Check your messages, I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
As said above, you can't really get a good picture TV without getting 3D as well these days. I kinda was the same way though, I didn't really care about 3D and wasn't sure I would use it, I just wanted the best bang for buck picture. After trying out 3D it is really nice and now while I don't use it very often I definitely try to find more content that does.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, after about 5 minutes of watching any 3d flick, I'm wishing the 2d version is playing. It's cool for a bit, then distracting.

But, I've learned in researching for the past few hours that 3d TV's generally produce better 2d images.

The less added costly "frills", though, the better. Just want the best picture possible, with good 24p performance, and none of the 'issues' that some models seem to be having (peeling anti-glare coating, floating blacks, etc)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20828907

Just want the best picture possible, with good 24p performance, and none of the 'issues' that some models seem to be having (peeling anti-glare coating, floating blacks, etc)

LOL. And I wanted to marry Scarlett Johansen, and live in a mansion on a hill, and be a scratch golfer.
Seriously, there is no perfect TV. Every set that has a really good picture is at the cutting edge of technology, and all have some issues.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20828959

Well, I never used the word 'perfect'. I'd get the Samsung mentioned above, but there's no way I want to deal with a defect like a peeling screen.

It appears that they have resolved that issue, however. Similarly, it appears that they have resolved the issue with fluctuating brightness on the new Panasonics. Either set would be a pretty good choice, putting aside budget issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20828959

Well, I never used the word 'perfect'. I'd get the Samsung mentioned above, but there's no way I want to deal with a defect like a peeling screen.

I just recently bought the LGPV450 from Fry's at Renton. Let me tell you I'm so happy with this TV. PQ is superior and black level is excellent. Just make sure you can control the lighting in your viewing area. The price is insane when I bought it. Fry's routinely has this on sale as a loss leader. I then bought the sqare trade from Costco for another 3 years warranty. I also just bought the LG ST600 smart TV upgrader(too cheap to mention here) so now I have all the apps on the TV plus I can use Android app to control it. The TV is dead silent and I have seen absolutely no IR/burn-in. The ISF mode and the 5:5 pulldown really give PQ a boost.

Honestly, I think LG is the most undervalued brand out there and they are trying very hard to gain market share. I'm so happy with the 60PV450 now, I'm considering buying a 50PV450 for my bedroom when it's on sale at Fry's.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might eek my budget up just a little bit. What would you choose between a Sharp LC-60LE835U, LG 60PZ950, Panasonic TC-P60ST30, and Samsung PN59D7000? And why? Keeping in mind, immediate issues that might involve a service call right out of the box would be the LEAST of my desires when shelling out ~$2k on a new TV.

·
Registered
192 Posts
you have a Frys near by. check out their Friday and Saturday ads regularly. For the last few weeks Frys have been running consecutive 1-day sales on Saturdays with "unnamed branded TVs" and some of the models you mentioned can be had well within your budget if you act quick. It appears manufacturers are offering good discounts around this time of the year to clear inventory.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20848292

Might eek my budget up just a little bit. What would you choose between a Sharp LC-60LE835U, LG 60PZ950, Panasonic TC-P60ST30, and Samsung PN59D7000? And why? Keeping in mind, immediate issues that might involve a service call right out of the box would be the LEAST of my desires when shelling out ~$2k on a new TV.

Of those, I'd get the ST30.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20828907

Yeah, after about 5 minutes of watching any 3d flick, I'm wishing the 2d version is playing. It's cool for a bit, then distracting. But, I've learned in researching for the past few hours that 3d TV's generally produce better 2d images. The less added costly "frills", though, the better.

Yup, 2D content on the non-3D models will not look nearly as good as they do on the 3D models. The ST30 is the minimum Panasonic i ever recommend.

Quote:
Just want the best picture possible, with good 24p performance,

I'm not sure if the Panasonic ST30 has good 24p performance or not (since i don't watch many movies) so you might want to look into this vs the Samsungs and LGs.

Quote:
and none of the 'issues' that some models seem to be having (peeling anti-glare coating, floating blacks, etc)

Floating Blacks (FB) was an issue with the 2010 Panasonic's, not the 2011s. This year's issue is Fluctuating Brightness (FBr) which as you probably know by now Panasonic has a fix for. And the ST30 seems to exhibit this issue less than the GT30.

Quote:
Might eek my budget up just a little bit. What would you choose between a Sharp LC-60LE835U, LG 60PZ950, Panasonic TC-P60ST30, and Samsung PN59D7000? And why?

The LCD TVs have more performance issues and their overall picture quality isn't as good as it is on the Plasmas.

Quote:
Keeping in mind, immediate issues that might involve a service call right out of the box would be the LEAST of my desires when shelling out ~$2k on a new TV.

Well since Samsung has to send a tech to your house to replace the peeling plasma panel and Panasonic has to send a tech to flash your TV's firmware or install an updated A-Board, that leaves LG which doesn't seem to have such design flaws, other than poor black levels and being more prone to IR and Burn-In. I don't know if Samsung has sone so yet, but Panasonic just started incorporating the fix into TVs at the factory (August build) but their regional distribution centers are stocked up with older inventory.

Of the ones you listed, my first choice would be the ST30, 2nd would be the PND7000.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To fix the brightness issue, any idea what determines the fix? Flash or board replacement? If it's just a flash, it's a lesser ordeal and I'd be cool with that. The idea of immediately needing to go through product support and have a part replaced as soon as you buy something like this doesn't sit too well with me.

What do y'all think might give me the best shot at getting an August model? Smaller local shop? Online? Large B&M? Wish they could just tell from the outside of the box somehow.

Seems that everyone is recommending the Panny. And I know this is a plasma section of the forums, but saw the LC-60LE835U in-store the other night and it looked pretty darn good. Not sure about issues/reliability with those tho.

Thanks all for the help/suggestions. Wish I could wait a bit longer to assure a good out-of-the-box Panny, but I can't hold off that long I don't think.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20849544

To fix the brightness issue, any idea what determines the fix? Flash or board replacement? If it's just a flash, it's a lesser ordeal and I'd be cool with that. The idea of immediately needing to go through product support and have a part replaced as soon as you buy something like this doesn't sit too well with me.

It requires a tech to come out your house, at least for the present time. If it's a Panasonic tech, they update the set by SD card. If it's a third party tech, they put in a new board. Either way, it doesn't seem like such a big deal -- if you end up with a set that has FBr, and it bothers you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/20849544

What do y'all think might give me the best shot at getting an August model? Smaller local shop? Online? Large B&M? Wish they could just tell from the outside of the box somehow.

I would think an operation that tends to have less inventory on hand would be the best bet, but it's probably a krap shoot in any event. The serial number is available on the outside of the box, however. I wonder if you could ask the store that has inventory for a serial number or two, and then call the Panasonic Concierge service on your cell phone and see if they can give you the build month from that. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The Panasonic cannot process 24p content correctly (other than the VT30) as the best mode is allowing reverse pulldown (3:2). The Samsung on the other hand can perform 4:4 pulldown but the down side is that the black levels rise when engaged unless this has been corrected.

Samsung is however the more accurate display in terms of color reproduction, gamma and grayscale.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a 60" LGPK550 (last year's model) for $1300 CAD, and have been very satisfied with it. No problems at all, but as someone else mentioned, your viewing environment will need to be very light-controlled, as the screen is quite reflective.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
jtjacka where can you get warehouse deals on amazon thx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.