AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can someone recommend me a good tuner to go into a pci slot? I want one that can do over the air hdtv and also let me plug in my regular cable (i think this is called analog?). I don't want to spend too much and doesnt need it to do lots of fancy stuff. As long as i can switch between the 2 easily without unplugging something and be able to record it. Dont need be able to record 2 different things at once or anything,. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

What is your TV reception like now? What kind of antenna are/will you using?

Have you visited www.antennaweb.org , that will suggest an antenna based on your address/probable reception?

I have good OTA reception and a good antenna, and have no problems receiving NTSC and ATSC broadcasts with inexpensive (and poorly regarded by others) PCI tuners. If you are in a poor reception location and/or use an inferior antenna, then tuner selection could be more critical.

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After going through that link, It seems like one of the yellow ones are good ( small multi directional. So im guessing i dont need a very expensive antenna but something cheap would be fine. For regular cable, i just have some comcast service if that matters.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Check out the ATI theater 650, it does both SD NSTC, as well as OTA HD. Reviews on it are great and PQ is, from what I've read fantastic.

However for the cost fo teh ATI theater 650 you might be able to get two tuner cards, one HD and one SD for less than what the theater 650 costs.

- Josh

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Since this tuner includes an NTSC tuner, can one install just this single card, and have MCE 2005 recognize it as an analog card? I don't know if I'll be getting Vista, and I know MCE requires an analog card. And if MCE sees the analog tuner, will it also see the ATSC tuner?

Thanks...

-T

·
Registered
867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone /forum/post/0

Since this tuner includes an NTSC tuner, can one install just this single card, and have MCE 2005 recognize it as an analog card? I don't know if I'll be getting Vista, and I know MCE requires an analog card. And if MCE sees the analog tuner, will it also see the ATSC tuner?

Thanks...

-T

Yes, MCE 2005 recognizes and configures both the analog and the ATSC part of the 650 card. However, you will only be able to watch one program at a time - cannot use both tuners concurrently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.