AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, but nobody seems to want to lend a hand regarding recommendations. You have to tell us how much you are willing to spend on your set. In my case, I don't think I will buy any Samsung since most of the threads here seem to indicate that none of the Samsung sets went thru any kind of QA before going to the consumer.

I own a PS3, and I will not tolerate a set which does not handle the PS3. I also own a Japanese PS2, Xbox 360, and Comcast digital box for HD broadcast. So if none of these things work with these equipment, I will take back the set to the store. This is bad because I don't drive anymore. Besides, I am planning to buy a new AV receiver, possibly a Pioneer Elite to use as a vidoe/audio switcher and to have at least DD 5.1 in my small apartment. If something does not work with these source, it is worthless to me.

Brands that I like are Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Panasonic. However, it seems the last two only offer plasma tvs, and I don't want plasma, for I still play video games. Plasma is not good for video games. So in terms of makers the choices are limited mostly because you cannot trust Samsung anymore.

There is a few new makers like Vizio and LG, but so far they don't offer me what I am looking for. I hope your post has a better luck than mine. Good luck!

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd love to buy a Samsung, but with all the bad posts here in this forum, I am afraid to plunge my hard earn money, and having to deal with these problems with the store CC or BB and or Samsung itself.

QUESTION>> Do you know if the new crop of Samsungs still have problem with PS3? Why can't Samsung have a better QA department and figure out the bugs before these units get to market? As I said, it is hassle having to deal with TV

problems and stores when these TV units are so big and I don't drive anymore. It is not easy to move these things back and forth to get them fix.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, orestesdd.

I can spend up to $1600, I think. I think all my sources will be digital HD so the upscaling capability of the TV itself is not an issue.

Other than that, I don't know much about HDTV at all so need some guideline to start. Would appreciate any help!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think orestesdd is exagerating a little on the Samsungs. Yes, I own one(4661), and I chose it after research all the tvs I could. Yes, the Samsungs are having some issues with HDMI right now, but it appears that is already being taken care of and it appears to be working. It is the older boards and firmware causing issues. However, it is undeniable that the Sammies offer the best picture in LCD land at the moment. My vote would be a Samsung with a newer firmware version. All tvs are going to have some issues to deal with, you just need to figure out which issues you can live with the most.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy /forum/post/0

I just picked up a 42" phillips 42pfl7432d for less than your price. Go check it out at bb it has a great picture and 3hdmi inputs.

That has ambilight. Cant it to be turned off?

I found this one on Costco website

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...1&Sp=C&topnav=

They looks similar but I can't find model number at Costco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.