AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new 3D LCD, an upgrade from my RPTV and finding my old Marantz SR-780 isn't going to cut it and looks like I need to sell it and upgrade. I currently have an old DVD player that only outputs S-Video, Wii, CD player, PS2, SA 8300HD cable box and my TV. I'm looking into doing a HTPC, so the CD player, DVD, and cable box would go away.

One thing I'd like to have is the ability to send music to my pool speakers. Currently the Marantz outputs to an old mini stereo for the multi-room. I don't know if newer receivers allow a direct connect of the speaker wire or if you always need a 2nd receiver, but would love to do away with the second receiver if I could.

Since I just took a hit on the TV and a HTPC will take away the other arm and a leg, I'm thinking the $300 range is about all I may have. I see the Pioneer VSX-31 at Costco and a Yahmaha RX-V567BL at BB within my budget. Will these work with my pool audio needs? Are there better options? I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
With a Wii and PS2 you probably want a receiver that will do upconversion so you can avoid running bulky component cables to your TV. You also want one that does 2 zones.

Check out the Onkyo TX-SR608 refurb from Accessories4Less. About $320 or so shipped. The Yamaha has an inferior amp section, lower quality upconversion, and no Zone 2 functionality.

The VSX-31 would be a great choice, but it (should be) much more expensive.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is the Pioneer okay? I tried to read a little about it and saw a post saying it didn't produce quality sound on the center channel compared with some Yamaha. I was going to stop at Costco tonight to see if it is available in the store and put my eyes on it.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1991
So is the Pioneer okay? I tried to read a little about it and saw a post saying it didn't produce quality sound on the center channel compared with some Yamaha. I was going to stop at Costco tonight to see if it is available in the store and put my eyes on it.
Don't put a lot of faith in a post like that. Too many variables. Take the Pioneer home and connect it to your gear,calibrate it, kick back and listen. Should perform as needed. If not Costco will take it back. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1991
The problem I had was after running MCACC my center channel sounded thin. Deep voices didn't have their normal weight. I had to go into MCACC and manually adjust the low frequencies and that fixed the issue.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the help. Don't tell the wife I had to spend another $300. Anyone want a Marantz SR-780

EDIT: My Costco only has the VSX-820. Will have to get it online. This one doesn't do up-conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.