AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a listening rm 18x36 w/8ftceilings..its located on one side of the basement.

Looking for help/suggestions on which components are more important to upgrade for a stereo system upgrade?

-I know I need to upgrade my speakers for my size rm i have some suggestions so I plan on doing that 1st.Bookshelf ones listed below might small so might need to get bigger/Tower speakers?any suggestions?

-TTable:is it better to upgrade from the 1 i have or get a Phono Pre Amp(does that enhance sound?) or get a new cartridge or just get a new TT (the ones listed below).

-Receiver:Should I just upgrade the receiver (listed below) and get an amplifier or integrated amp, pre amp don't know how they work/don't know differences, coulde use help there. Does either enhance sound and or which 1 carry's the most power I need were I keep my receiver?

Do I get receiver w/built in Amp, if so is that enough?

I listen to allot of vinyl and cd's.In vinyl listening I am looking for that nice clear/loud sound w/out spending $5k...want something that really enhances the vinyl (and cd's) sound that its meant to sound like.

I have a $1k/$1,500 budget no more then $500 on EACH components and speakers or I think speakers need the most $$, correct?

I currently have:

-Sony PS-LX300 USB turntable

-Technics SA-EX140 60hz/155w Receiver

-Bose 201 iv series

After researching stuff I was looking at these to get. What do you think and or do recommend something else?

1)-Turntable:

Pro-Ject III debut turntable or Music Hall MMF-5 or Rega P3

....Or keep my Sony turntable and just upgrade my cartridge and/or phono pre amp or dont do anything?

2)Also I am not sure what the Phono PreAmp(think thats what its called)does? Do I keep the TT i have and get the Phono PreAmp? Does the Phono Pre Amp enhance sound?

2) Upgrade my Receiver

-Yamaha A-S500......looking for a built in Amp for more sound in my receiver

or get an AMP (dont know 2 much about them) and keep my receiver?

3) Speakers..had a couple in mind:

-EPOS - ELS-8 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS

-WHARFEDALE - DIAMOND 10.1 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER

-Usher S520

-Also what CD player is good to get under $500 that enhances the sound?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
A phono preamp provides extra amplification (needed because a turntable's output is so weak) and equalizes the signal to compensate for the way vinyl records are recorded. Both your turntable and your receiver appear to contain phono preamps. If you buy a new turntable without a built-in phono pre, you can use the one in your receiver. (I presume that your receiver has an input labeled "phono." If it doesn't, let us know that.) Given your budget, I would put a separate phono preamp way down my priority list.

Also, I don't think your cartridge can be upgraded. It appears to be proprietary to that table.

If I were you, I would devote my budget to two things:

1) a new turntable

2) a new pair of speakers

with most of the budget going toward speakers. Your receiver is quite adequate for now. (I'd stick to speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, but they're pretty common.) A cheap DVD player would be all you need to play CDs really, really well. Don't waste money there.

So, for a turntable, the brands you mentioned all make entry-level models for $400 or so that would be good choices. All come with an OK cartridge. I'd also consider the Audio-Technica LP120USB, which is a direct drive that runs about $200. You'd need to upgrade the cartridge, but you can wind up with a better package for less money that way.

For speakers, all I can say is, go out and listen to what's available in stores near you, and decide what you like. Most of the "advice" you find online is just fanboy cheerleading. Everybody loves the speakers they bought, but they probably don't know jack about comparing speakers. Trust your own ears.

That said, brands I'd look for include Infinity, PSB and Paradigm. They're not necessarily the right ones for you, but they're good products and worth using as your benchmark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently built a 2-channel system for a family room, and after reading for a while I ended up going cheap on the electronics. I bought an HK3490 receiver for $259 and a very basic Sony DVD player for $39. I use a $2 monoprice coaxial cable to send the digital signal from the player to the receiver. I'm really happy with it so far.

I haven't listened to a wide variety of speakers, so take it with a grain of salt, but I am happy with my Ascend Sierra-1s.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
For space of your size forget bookshelf. You need full size speakers. As for receiver, I agree with HK recommended above. It actually has an option for connecting a sub, which is a must, if you insist on small main speakers.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You have a large room. As such you would be best served by spending most, if not all of your budget on speakers, full range towers.

My first suggestions would be either JBL L880, or L890. Both will give you good bass w/o a sub and superb throughout the entire audio range. The 880s are cheaper @ $499/ea. And get either HK3490 ($300) or an Outlaw ($600) receiver.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Music direct still has a demo sale on the Wharfedale EVO 2-20 floor standing speakers they are selling for $499-$539 depending on the finish, original price was $1200. Add either a Project RM-1.3 or Music Hall 2.2 (both come w/good carts) and as was suggested before the HK receiver you should have a very musical system. The phono in the HK should be equal to ant number of decent entry level products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.