AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some suggestions: Trying to record my old laser karaoke (10 songs per disc) onto DVD. My old laser player is dying. I am recording with an off the shelf DVD recorder using the outs on the back of laser machine. Cannot get DVD to record the tracks (chapters) seperately. I know this will be time consuming but need advice to have a better turnout. No DVD burner yet in my computer, but would this be a better way to go? What parts and program would I then need??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J

·
Registered
795 Posts
Does your DVD recorder have a hard drive?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I usually record the entire laser disc onto my Panny recorder (when it comes to recording from laser discs, using the composite inputs will provide better results than the "S" connector).

I then use one of the edit options (Divide, shorten segment, etc... ) to get rid of unwanted material, and then mark the chapters.

If I'm looking to get really fancy, then I'll record on a RAM disc and bring the program to the PC. For years now, I've been having great success with Womble and TMPGEnc DVD Author.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Negative on the hard drive.....but there is a DVD recorder that Sam's Club/Wal-Mart carries. How would a recorder with a hard drive be used for this???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not familiar with what a Panny recorder is? Is it a name brand recorder? I have checked at local Circuit City store. Only one employee had the smarts enough. He believes (after updating my HP with a DVD burner/label burner combo) that I can use a video input device (not sure what brand it was). The one on the shelf has a converter box with RCA and S-video inputs.......it can be used for plugging in a DVD, CD player, Camcorder, VHS player and "possibly" the laserdisc player. He then says that the software that is included should be sufficient to make each karaoke song into it's own chapter.........$79.95 for the devise and program, and roughly $90.00 for the updated DVD burner for my HP. Looking for more ease here that price..........I know when I do find the right combination, it will be very time consuming as I have over a thousand songs. Thanks a million for any input.......Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good, I will have to try this. The instructions book that came with the DVD recorder does not specify this anywhere, but it makes sense. Thanks for the input, Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusLearning
Not familiar with what a Panny recorder is? Is it a name brand recorder?
Panny is shorthand for Panasonic.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Trying to record my old laser karaoke (10 songs per disc) onto DVD.
I am very curious how you are going to record both the digital (no lyrics) and analog audio (with lyrics) tracks, unless you only plan to preserve one set of sound track, by using a standalone DVD recorder. If you plan to preserve both digital and analog audio channels, you have to use a PC instead of a standalone recorder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your input is very true. I would like to preserve the analog portion of the music also. Just not sure how to get there yet. If I get a program for my PC, do you have any input on doing this. Would the analog information be suppressed on the burned DVD under the same chapter? Or for a 10 song LD, I would have to record a 20 song DVD (with 10 tracks for each)? PC may be the way to go although I have gotten Superb advise from several. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowtail
...If you plan to preserve both digital and analog audio channels, you have to use a PC instead of a standalone recorder.
I know how to do this in my PC for DVD but I do not know how to do it for LD. Do you know any software/hardware that will allow you to do this for LD using the pc?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
If I get a program for my PC, do you have any input on doing this. Would the analog information be suppressed on the burned DVD under the same chapter? Or for a 10 song LD, I would have to record a 20 song DVD (with 10 tracks for each)?
DVD-Video standards allow for multiple audio tracks such as different language tracks for the same movie. What you need to do is to transfer both video and two separate audio tracks to a PC and then author them onto one single DVD. See the following link for possible software which could author multiple DVD audio tracks:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136772

However, the most challenging part may be to actually transfer both audio tracks to the PC. For example, you could use a standalone DVD recorder to capture the same LD twice, once with digital track and the other with analog track. There are PC softwares which could separeate the audio track from the video, and then re-author all the pieces together as a DVD with two separate sound tracks. You probably will get more technical help in the DVD Authoring forum at videohelp.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

swallowtail said:
DVD-Video standards allow for multiple audio tracks such as different language tracks for the same movie. What you need to do is to transfer both video and two separate audio tracks to a PC and then author them onto one single DVD. See the following link for possible software which could author multiple DVD audio tracks:

Great, thank you.....I will be trying this soon. Have to shop for the correct items now. I will be purchasing the HP upgrade DVD burner (will be taking my old cd burner out of my tower) with the label burn function. It's on sale at Wal-mart...$89.00 (Circuit City wants $109.00). This will be the beginning. Again, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.