AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ECP 4000 which has been sitting on the shelf for a almost 9 months while I finish my room. Every month or two I pull it down to play with it and it's always worked fine.

This time, I pulled it down and there's no output from the red tube. The rear of the tube is glowing. The switch for the red tube is on. Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting.

I'm not a CRT or electronic expert, but I take directions well :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an ECP3100.......my red tube doesn't work well until it gets warmed up good.....after about 30 minutes or an hour.....then it works fine. Until it's warmed up though, the red tube will go out and stay out until I turn it off and back on.....then it repeats this process until it gets nice and toasty. I have been told that it's common for them to exhibit this problem due to weak connections of the molex pins....where it plugs into the board....mine are ok there though, so my weak connection must be on the back plane of the board, which requires removing the tube(s) to get at.....I haven't felt up to taking the tube(s) out of it to check, but maybe you'll be lucky and find that yours is the molex connector that is easy to get to......try unplugging and cleaning the contact points.

Good Luck,

Steve

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hi Guys!

You are faced with two likeliest problems, excluding signal cabling issues external to your ECP; small capacitors on the video control module may be shorting the video feed to ground, and/or the low level video harness, running from the backplane, (under the blue tube) to all three neckboards, may not be conducting the video to all tubes due to tarnish problems on the connectors. A common fix was to pull out both the green and blue tubes and solder the coax lines to the molex pins on the backplane, another was to wire-brush the molex pins on the neckboard clean and reseat the connectors. If the video control board is the problem then replace it, or change out all of the capacitors. A much less likely scenario is problems with the bias/focus module not giving proper bias to the neckboard, check the harness with a voltmeter for proper levels.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Can this problem also result in a tubes raster being on full?

I have an intermittant problem on my ECP4000 where the red tube will go on full. The projected image becomes all red with bright diagonal lines running through it. Sometimes just shutting the PJ off/on will cure it. Sometimes, when it comes back on, the red tube is really dim. This past Saturday I watched about 6 hours of dvd without incident. Sunday I did a quick convergence touchup and then started to watch Star Wars ep2. After about 2 minutes the problem surfaced again. I had put in another neck board after a prior incident and inorder to get it to work this time I had to swap the original back in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.