AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried and tried to get my 9000u calibrated correctly. I have used Avia and VE to calibrate my Sharp 9000u. Using the blue filter, every bar, saturation and hue, looks uniform. The problem is that the reds (fire trucks, stop signs, curtains, lips) have a purple tint to them. I have tried increasing the red and decreasing blue but it is not enough to make it right. The skin tone looks ok but on some DVDs the actors lips are blueish. Very distracting. On Spiderman, his suit looked redish not the orange it should have been. I never had this problem on my direct view. Can anyone help with similar problems and how they fixed the reds? This may be a job for a professional but I wanted to tap into this forums experience first. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Contact a calibrator that has the ability to adjust cuts / drives i the service menu. Preferably, someone that is using the Progressive Labs CA-1 and has the file for the 9000.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Do a search back on my threads, I tell you about a Hoya FL-DAY red filter that you'll need to correct the problem plus you'll need to get into the service menu as well & that topic was also explained.

Also check out a member named Ran, he has some knowledgeable info on tweaking the 9000.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I agree with Chris the Hoya filter works great for DLPs. It will cut down on the green push and help turn the orange reds a deeper red.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joemac
You could also look at this more recent thread with users tweaking the Sharp with filters and using Colorfacts.

Joe

Joe,

it looks as if bdavidson in that thread you are pointing out only experiments with a CCR20 & CCR30 filters, I did that as well 11 months ago & found out later that canning the CCR's & going to a HOYA FL-DAY GLASS was way better than either of the two CCR's. I managed to get a CR of 1100:1 where his best was 905:1.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In reading to posts, is the Hoya 82mm FL_D the correct lens size to fit my Sharp 9000u? I found one at B&H for $52.50 plus shipping. I am ready to order if that is the correct size. Also, how did you secure the lens? I don't see how it would screw into the Sharp lens.

Chris I would have liked to see your pictures with and without the lens but your link would not come up. Can you repost? Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chris,

WOW that is impressive. Were you able to get that CR and still maintain 6500K for the Color temp?

I also use Normal instead of Bright mode to keep the noise down, which limits CR.

Joe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A follow up: I just realized that the Hoya Fl-d 82mm mentioned above is not HMC but Standard. I am unclear as to what multi coating does. It appears that Hoya does not make the FLD HMC that large. Should I go to the 77mm HMC with an adapter or can I safely go with the 82mm standard lens?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Sharpie9000,

If you can't get the reds to look the way you want, it sounds like one option would be to sell the 9000u and get an HT1000.

--Darin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.