AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 40xbr800 from CC 2 months ago.....It had the discoloration on 3 different sets in my upstairs apartment.......The tech came out 1 week ago and said it was due to my downstairs neighbors "possible" speaker magnet??? Downstairs?

Anyway CC said that I could come down and exchange for a new TV.......

I don't mind paying a bit more as long as I will be happy..That being said I want something for about 3,500 out the door w/stand and 5 year warranty.....Maybe a bit more, but not over 4G's

I love the 40! I don't want to let it go.....The tech mentioned magnets, but I don't want to be stuck with a bad TV if it doesn't work........He said 90% will fix the problem........90%???

I sit about 8 feet from the 40......I love the High Def pic quality.....Is there a TV in my price range that can compare or even be improved?

I don't want any burn in option.....That is why I say LCD or maybe perhaps DLP.....

Daym I really don't want to give up the 40......I probably will not have any set I buy calibrated.....

TV uses:

1. Standard cable/digital

2. DVD

3. High Def

4. Playstation

In order of most used.......TV on - 3 hrs per day Mon - Fri with 5 hrs on weekends..........

Let me know........I don't care if you want to bash a product, just please post opinions and hands on........Anything will help.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Had much the same problems as you did, went thru three 40" s myself!

I know its smaller but I know have the 34xbr910, sitting about 8 feet away and I am in heaven. Sorry not a big fan of LCD tv's as of now.

If you dont like the idea of a 34" all I can say is neither did I, But within one week of purchase I was so hooked on this tube!

good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't get me wrong I like the look of the 34 wide, but I still have a 37 inch wide if I only watch Hi Def or DVD. The discoloration does not effect the picture, but rather stays in the black bar status. Only on 4:3 Tv is it noticeable.....

Did they offer to put magnets in your TV?

Ha ha they told me it seems odd that 3 tv's had the same problem as if I was lying........Little do they know there is a whole daym continent that experienced the same discoloration.....

Anyway I appreciate the input and perhaps the 34 would suit me well........

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Stray,

Sorry to read of your 40XBR problems. My 40"er has played flawlessly since the day I got it, and hope it stays that way. If you want a larger screen, that I suggest you check out Rich Harkness' posts (and others) regarding the Panny 42" 4UY Plasma TV's. The prices being quoted are about in line w/yours, and most of the owners who swear by this Panny used to own CRT's.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A magnet from down stairs, has to be one hell of a magnet. Without going

through the whole check list of possible things that could cause this problem, signal.... I think you would have the same problem with any CRT

unit if it is an outside source. In that price range you definitely have a lot

of ground to cover. I don't think you can get a HD Plasma but those Panny

ED's sure look great, or maybe the Panasonic 50lc13 rear LCD under $2500

certainly the Sony 34 XBR 910 is a top choice. I would get some other

opinions on the 40" first. Did Sony come to the House and tell you the same thing? I agree with cajieboy chk out Rich Harkness' post's but get Sony to confirm this long distant Magnet issue first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies…..

I just got back from CC and I was told by 2 separate employees…..1 a sales clerk and 1 a store manager………They both informed me that I would have the same discoloration in ANY TV I decide…….

I also went to the store display 40xbr and it also had discoloration….The store manager said well we have a lot of cameras, speakers etc. that could be causing the problem….1 thing was it was less discoloration then I have at home…..So basically what in the hell could my downstairs neighbor own…..Perhaps Iraq’s missing weapons of mass distruction???

Anyway we worked out a deal…I definitely want to keep the 40….The manager said that when the Tech comes out and installs the magnets and there is still discoloration I can come in and exchange the TV…….She also mentioned that since I have the 5 year plan that I can exchange the TV for any TV at anytime for whatever reason…..I did not know that……..

Anyway I checked out both the Hitachi LCD and the Samsung DLP……Maybe because they are so big, but I could not justify exchanging the 40 for either of those TV’s…..They were both on high def feeds and they were terrible on fast motion…..The football players had pixels flying everywhere any time they moved…….I could never be happy with that…..

I did like the Grand Wega 2 tho….This TV seemed almost like a regular projection TV in that the only problem I noticed was the slight blur, which I know from tweaking can be fixed…..I have no idea what these people think about the “black†level??? I found both Hitachi and GW2 more than adequate……The Samsung did have the best color with the Hitachi being the brightest……..I glanced at the Panasonic and could not find a flaw other than the name brand so I will dismiss this as having too big of side speakers…..

I then went to good guys and watched a Tyson fight in high def…..This fight only looked good on the plasma because of the fast movements…..LCD was horrible, although the GW2 stood it’s ground…..I consider the GW2 a projection and do not even feel it’s in the same category as LCD…..To me it is far superior than any LCD I have seen…….

I also “tried†to sit thru the 5th element on the new Phillips Cineos……I didn’t like it……It seems like this TV had the same pixel splitting as the LCD…….Perhaps it’s because they are too big? I also notice this same problem on the 30 inch LCD too…….

I feel plasma is superior especially Fujitsu….Next is definitely tube…..Or RPTV whichever you prefer……The GW2 is on this level too…..All other TV’s I feel take a back seat…….

And everyone speaks of calibration…..Ha ha I would hate to see the 40 properly calibrated stand up to anything short of “real lifeâ€â€¦..Out of the box High Definition is truly a joy……..What would my friends think of me if I told them I have been known to sit thru an entire program on Fish faces???

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It does not seem right that all the 40 XBR's have a problem, if other people are seeing this at a different location it could be they received a bad batch of them. Still I would get Sony out to your house to get an objective opinion

at least someone other then CC. You have seen most of the set's so it's

good you know what you wan't and what you don't want. The thing is you

have a set or set's with defects right out of the box, not a good way to start.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DNINE
Still I would get Sony out to your house to get an objective opinion

at least someone other then CC.
Objective? Lets not forget that CC usually subcontracts to local repair people, just like Sony will for in home visits. I fail to see the slight on CC

after all if he has the extended CC will do more for him than Sony will!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I can not help but reccomend CC protection/guarantee....I think I will be using thsi to the fullest so it is worth the money for me.........

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Stray,

I concur w/you and am glad I got CC's 5-Year Bumper-To-Bumper Warranty. They'll swap out your Baby Huey 40"er, but if this is an outside problem it could happen to any large screen TV you put in its place. Have you checked out other Brands to see if this problem is duplicated?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
No doubt the CC warranty is key, if something goes wrong he is safe as

can be. The problem is the TV he wants doesn't work to his satisfaction

and the people that sold the TV say it's gonna happen no matter what

CRT he get's. Who want's to keep running back and forth to any store

after spending 2k and still not have a TV that works right. What's wrong with a second opinion no matter where it comes from.

If you want a big CRT chk out the philips

Philips 55PP9352 55 in. Standard Television

Direct View/Flat Screen, 55 in. Display, 16:9, 4:3 Enhanced Aspect Ratio, Picture in Picture, Virtual Surround Sound

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was dead set against moving the TV to another part of the room to maybe fix the problem, but now am giving it a second thought.....Sometimes I can be so stubborn.......I think I'll wait until the tech comes with the magnets and then decide........

If it doesn't work then I may want to trade in for a "lighter" LCD but bigger(maybe 42 or 50) then I can move the TV around almost at will.....If I go bigger I definatley want a widescreen, but no burn in issue.....So DLP, LCD sounds like a plan........And I'm very partial to Sony over Samsung.......

I can defienately see your points about 2nd opinions or different TV's, but I'm not the kind of guy that wants deliveries every week and or techies in my house all the time.....

Speaking of Phillips I saw a 60inch projection at costco.......If I didn't buy the 40 That was my second choice.......Something about RPTV's bother me........Perhaps the limited viewing angle or the nervous tension of burn in.......I don't think I could ever be happy with one.....Not to say that they're bad TV's..........

·
Registered
41 Posts
You REALLY should take a look at the Samsung 43 or 50" DLP sets. For 4:3 material The 50" 16:9 screen is the same size image as yur 40" and the whole thing weighs 85 lbs, and there is no way that magnetic fields can cause distortion of any kind.

Unless there is an MRI machine in the room below your set I can't see how a magnetic field is your problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Harvey S
You REALLY should take a look at the Samsung 43 or 50" DLP sets. For 4:3 material The 50" 16:9 screen is the same size image as yur 40" and the whole thing weighs 85 lbs, and there is no way that magnetic fields can cause distortion of any kind.

Unless there is an MRI machine in the room below your set I can't see how a magnetic field is your problem.
What do you think could be causing the discoloring? All 3 sets I've had have the same problem in the same areas.....I've pointed little tiny phillips bookshelf speakers at the sony and at about 2 - 3 feet it starts to discolor....It seems to be very sensitive.......

I kind of want to stay at the same price level which is around 3k.......The new GW3 42inch is what I'm waiting for.........I don't really care too much about 4:3 material anymore as I'm now spoiled by HDTV which I would rather be bigger.......

I've looked at the 43" sammy, but something about it didn't say "buy me" perhaps it was the salesman that was pushing it like it was "the body of Christ" that turned me off........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.