AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi All. I am considering purchasing the Onkyo TX-NR626. As context, the Onkyo 626 appears to meet the needs of what I am looking for however I was debating on the Onkyo TX-NR828 model. I don't need the extra HDMI inputs and I don't think I will benefit much from the watts per channel increase. I have a read a lot of reviews and the Onkyo 626 seems to stand at or near the top of the list on everyone.

I would appreciate input from personal use about the 626 and thoughts on alternatives. To note, I plan on pairing the 626 with Cambridge Aero 5.1 surround package (using the Aero 2 bookshelf speakers for the front instead of the Aero 6 Towers).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I just caution people that Onkyo has a poor reliability record because of failing HDMI boards. It is just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB8  /t/1520730/help-requested-onkyo-tx-nr626#post_24432454

Hi All. I am considering purchasing the Onkyo TX-NR626. As context, the Onkyo 626 appears to meet the needs of what I am looking for however I was debating on the Onkyo TX-NR828 model. I don't need the extra HDMI inputs and I don't think I will benefit much from the watts per channel increase. I have a read a lot of reviews and the Onkyo 626 seems to stand at or near the top of the list on everyone.

I would appreciate input from personal use about the 626 and thoughts on alternatives. To note, I plan on pairing the 626 with Cambridge Aero 5.1 surround package (using the Aero 2 bookshelf speakers for the front instead of the Aero 6 Towers).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

I just got one about a month ago. I am enjoying it very much. I also had the htrc270 receiver. it broke down because of the HDMI board. I am getting that fixed. some people like a lot of HDMI imputs. my first onkyo had 2. I needed many more. while my last receiver did have THX, this doesn't. it does sound much better in other ways. Its worth getting for the video processor chip alone. its looks so good. now my roku and ps3 can look good like the oppo.

feel free to ask more questions.

Jacob

·
Registered
2 Posts

Ah my old onkyo board went bad too. Interesting. I too was looking at this model and now wonder what else is comparable in terms of tech features.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is true it seems many have lost faith in the brand after the HDMI issues in previous models.

My understanding was that since the 818 model came out this issue was corrected.

I just bought the 626 myself and might switch it out for the 727.

Coming from a 3 year old Yamaha.

The sound on this is great and it provides more amp power than it is rated. Fully featured with wifi and blue tooth!

My only issues with it are as follows:

1) The light when connected to wifi is bright white on it and I don't think it can be disabled. Might color over it with a marker to darken it.

2) The volume is 1-80 rather than in -xxdb which I am more used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts