AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my Revo 7.1 on Windows 2000, using latest (.28) drivers. I am using SPDIF-out mode in the Revo control panel.

I am seeing the following problems:

1)When trying to use the Geiss screensaver (not Winamp plug-in), Geiss is not 'hearing' the sound of an MP3 playing. I have tryed just about every configuration in the Revo control panel.

2)Also trying to get Geiss to work with sound coming in the Line-In. This works but only when I set the sampling rate to 48Khz in the Revo panel. Is this the only mode that goes through the Windows Mixer?

3)Speaking of which, the Sampling mode in the control panel does not stick at 48Khz, it keeps switching back to 44.1Khz whenever I play an MP3. Why?

4)Lastly, the Line-In seems to clip whenever the Line-In recording volume control is set to anything but the very lowest of the slider. Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Can't help you directly but I can tell you there are other problems with the Revo, Win2000, and SPDIF-out. I filed a tech support request about a week ago and all I've heard back was a request to check my IRQs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1) The plug-in version works, don't know why the screensaver doesn't. Did you try to enable monitoring?

2) See above. kMixer does not really care what sampling you use AFAIK.

3) Because your MP3 are encoded at 44kHz. It always switch to the source sampling.

4) Yes and no. It's a known issue that the line-in is very sensitive.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sdsalero, thanks for the info. Im not expecting much in the way of help directly from M-audio, I was hoping for a little Cliff Watson tech-support-supremo :) (Yes, I bought it from DC)

Gozer, I did try monitoring, no luck. Geiss has the following options for Audio Source:

- Primary Sound Capture Driver

- M-Audio Revolution [WaveIn 0]

But neither work.

Thanks for the info for #3 & #4. #3 is unfortunately problematic since the Line-In doesnt work with Geiss unless its set to 48Khz.

By the way, shouldnt the Audio Mixer control panel have some kind of Wave/"What-You-Hear" option for the Recording source? My SBLive had that and I would have guessed that would be whats required in this case.

I'll keep plugging away...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just tried it and I can't get it to work either. I can monitor my line-in just fine with Cool Edit and SoundForge....dunno whats wrong.

Quote:
By the way, shouldnt the Audio Mixer control panel have some kind of Wave/"What-You-Hear" option for the Recording source? My SBLive had that and I would have guessed that would be whats required in this case.
The what-you-hear option is to allow you to record without using a loopback cable. This is there with SBLive/Audigy card so that you can record audio processed by the DSP (EAX effects and other cheap stuff). In the revo case this option is rather useless unless you want to rip an audio stream. In that case there are better ways to do this ;)

If you want geiss with MP3 playback using the winamp plug-in is far better and works.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the Geiss screensaver is monitoring the "Record Source" then I am troubled that no such source exists in the Mixer for the Revo...

I dont want to use the Winamp plug-in because a)I dont currently use Winamp and b)there is no good, clean way to have the Winamp plug-in respond to MP3s *and* the Line-In, unless you know of one?

Besides, they are both exactly the same, one is not better or worse than the other.

Lastly, Cliff told me I could do this before I bought it :) so hopefully he's got a trick up his sleeve...

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Registered
306 Posts
FYI, the funky dancing dudes that come with Plus! Digital Media Edition for WMP9 don't recognize sound coming through the Revo either.

It wasn't exactly a showstopper for me, but after installing an Audigy2 it worked fine. The fat guy (Ben?) doing the funky chicken is almost worth living with 44-48KHz upsampling. ;-)

-Doug

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'm pretty sure now that the Revo cannot do this. Worse, I cant even fake it by an external loopback, since there is no SPDIF input and the Analog output does not work at the same time as the Digital output.

Looks like this puppy is going back, since I can't live without my Geiss :)

Andy K.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my case, Yes :)

At least this gave me a chance to hear how jitter affected DD/DTS passthrough, compared to an SBLive. In fact, I can't reliably tell that its any different.

PCM jitter is unimportant to me - any high quality audio currently comes from my CD player. And the high-quality analog outputs are sitting idle.

In all honesty I'll probably have a DVD player + external scaler by this time next year. The whole HTPC thing is starting to wear thin for me. At least, the bleeding edge is. I'll still have one for a casual MP3/Divx jukebox, and of course Geiss :)

Andy K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.