AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I finally settled into the new apartment and hooked up all the speakers.

I have HK AVR525 receiver and have my Revolution analog into the 8 channel input to the receiver (a 7.1 setup). Anyway, I have no problem getting sound to all the channels except for the center channel. I was testing each channel by using the M-Audio's volume control software. In each speaker, there are 3 buttons: Solo, Mute, and Test. I used the Test button and each speaker has the beep sound except for the center channel (the sub has some low frequency humming during test). At the sound card's end, I have a 1/8" to RCA Stereo connected to the receiver. Should I use 1/8" to RCA Mono instead?

Also, the volumn from the HTPC to my receiver is very soft. When using the HTPC, I have to turn the volumn to -15dB in my receiver in order to get the ideal volume level, when I change to FM/AM, -15dB is blasting the system and I have to turn it down to -45dB. I tried other devices and they all have louder volume than the HTPC. The Revolution's master (and individual speaker) volume in the software was set to about -9dB.

Also, when my HTPC boot up, there is this clipping sound from the computer. Is there anyway to get rid of that, I don't want to damange my speakers. TIA!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
1. Make sure the sub/center 1/8 plug is pushed well into the revo bracket. If the plug is loose then you might not be making contact for both channels. Your stereo plug is fine. That is what you are supposed to use.

2. Do you have the latest REVO driver installed? The one on the CD has a -6db default setting when Bass Management is selected. Does turning on and off the bass management affect your volume?

3. Turn your PC on and then your amp last. Turn your amp off then your PC. You can get fancy power strips with outlets that sequence power the power on/off of each outlet if you want. The thump noise from the REVO on HTPC power up and down is normal (and undesireable).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dm

1.) I'm pretty sure the plug is fully inserted into the sound card. I forgot to mention that when I play music, I can hear the center is playing LFE, as if both the RCA are carrying the Sub channels. If that is the case then the Test in center channel will not result in the beep tone since the test is sending very low frequency, and I couldn't hear it.

I will double check the plug again.

2.) Yes I'm using the latest driver and software. I will check and see if uncheck the bass management will make any different in volume.

3.) Yeah... I can live with that.

From,

Moses

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kc_moses

1.) I'm pretty sure the plug is fully inserted into the sound card. I forgot to mention that when I play music, I can hear the center is playing LFE, as if both the RCA are carrying the Sub channels. If that is the case then the Test in center channel will not result in the beep tone since the test is sending very low frequency, and I couldn't hear it.

Sorta sounds like you are using a 1/8 mono plug to RCA Y or spliter. You sure your 1/8 plug is stereo? Pull the plug out and look at the black rings. You should have two if the plug is stereo.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dm,

yes, I'm sure I'm using stereo cable. This is the cable I'm using. I have 4 of thems, all four are use on the Revo.

My co-worker has an Audigy, he said if he use a stereo Y cable, he gets only the sub, not the center. He's using mono Y cable to fix the problem. I would really like to stick with this cable as it's good cable and I don't want to spend more money on cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"yes, I'm sure I'm using stereo cable. This is the cable I'm using. I have 4 of thems, all four are use on the Revo."

I wonder if you have a bad cable. Try moving the center/sub cable to the front L/R output.

You could have a bad connector on the Revo card.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cliff,

I will go home and use another cheap RadioShack y-cable to test and see if the MonsterCable is defective. If it's a bad connector on the Revo card, should I return to you or M-Audio? I got it from DC about 2 months ago. :D

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kc_moses
Cliff,

I will go home and use another cheap RadioShack y-cable to test and see if the MonsterCable is defective. If it's a bad connector on the Revo card, should I return to you or M-Audio? I got it from DC about 2 months ago. :D
If the card is bad you will need to call DC for a RMA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.