AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newbie question here but I don't have a lot of free time these days and i want to get my movie collection done correct the first time. I have a couple things I want to make sure I get right...

-I want to be able to rip the dvd without any compression (would love to be able to take out the extra stuff... not really looking to spend money on this)

-I have a couple media extenders so I want the dvd's to be able to play on them without any third party software (just though media center 2005)

I have AnyDVDHD, can I use this? I can't get the folder system to show up in the "my dvd's" section... I can't get the iso's to show up either unless I mount them like a disc, which I don't want. I have MyMovies which is cool, but like I said, I'd like it to show up under the "My DVD's" section so it will play on my extenders too....

help!

·
Registered
174 Posts
DVD shrink lets you snip out all the garbage you dont want

DVD decrypter lets you rip mot movies to HD .. then do DVD shrink

Other than that for the hassle I would stick with the DVD's .. how often do you really watch every movie?

Maybe rip the 10 best and leave the rest alone .. i just ripped 20 of my DVD's and decided its not worth the effort and time

Teac

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been using the Slysoft rip function to test this out and it works fine as far as playing the movie, the only problem is getting it to show up in Media Center...

Is there a folder I need to save these in? How can I get Media center to see the dvd's once they're ripped? Once I click on my dvd's, I'd like to see everything.

Sorry for being ignorant, this seems like it would be really easy, but my computer isn't cooperating with me!

·
Registered
882 Posts
DVD Shrink (you don't have to compress it using this program) and DVDFab HD Decrypter are two of the most widely used dvd ripping programs.

Either program will let you strip out the unwanted contact and just get the movie.

I save all my movies like this:

\\Movies\\Cars\\video_ts\\all the .vob files and what not.

To my knowledge, every windows movie player supports this.

You can also rip to an iso. There's no difference except that you need to use an additional program to mount to iso first. Some do video_ts, some do iso. It's a matter of personal preference.

Sorry, but I can't answer your media center question as I don't use that anymore.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you rip to an iso, you will need either daemon tools or virtual clonedrive to mount the image. My movies will mount the image automatically if these are installed. For dvds, it probably isn't worth the extra effort, though.

Turn anydvd on and use dvd shrink to rip just the main movie and the best audio track. Leave the video_ts folder as is.

However you won't be able to play ripped dvds on extenders, though. For that you need either transcode360 (good luck) or convert them to mpg, dvr-ms or wmv.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/15095124

However you won't be able to play ripped dvds on extenders, though. For that you need either transcode360 (good luck) or convert them to mpg, dvr-ms or wmv.

Oops, didn't realize this. Didn't mean to be misleading with my first post about ripping dvds. I've never used extenders.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/15096234

here's a quote from an older post... it's basically what I'm looking for, except it's for Vista, I'm using XP'05.

How to setup Vista Media Center to play ripped DVDs:
http://apcmag.com/6488/how_to_play_ripped_dvds_on_vista

that turns on the dvd library for vmc. it doesn't exist in mce2005.

you need my movies for mce2005.

·
Registered
882 Posts
What about this:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_play_ripped...dia_center.htm

I remember trying this out back when I was using MCE '05.

edit: Actually, I don't remember if that's exactly what I did, but I remember doing some registry hack to enable My DVDs. It allowed me to use "My DVDs" to select the movie I wanted to watch instead of MyMovies (never liked my movies because it was too sluggish).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found some reg hacks:

Enable My DVDs - Media Center has a new DVD gallery with cover art and descriptions called My DVDs. Do you want to enable My DVDs? This setting is only available in Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and later.

Registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVers ion\\Media Center\\Settings\\DvdSettings

Registry value - ShowGallery

Registry value data type - REG_SZ

Registry value data - Gallery = enable My DVDs; Play = do not enable My DVDs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search Depth - My DVDs Gallery will search all locations that you have added to your My Videos space. How many levels deeps should it search for DVD content? This setting is only available in Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and later.

Registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVers ion\\Media Center\\Settings\\DvdSettings

Registry value - FolderSearchDepth

Registry value data type - REG_DWORD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has anyone tried these with success?

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Just download MyMovies, and use that as your front end. It also comes with a nice collection management software.

Thegreenbutton aslo has a few other front ends like OML and Sam's Video Browser, though they require Vista

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, I downloaded DVD Shrink about an hour ago and I'm confused... was this an inside joke?

this has to be the worst pile of crap software I've ever used in my entire life... no wonder it's free, it doesn't work - at all!

seriously, it's goes into (not responding) mode no matter what I do or what dvd I use... worthless!

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/15101432

seriously, it's goes into (not responding) mode no matter what I do or what dvd I use... worthless!

Since DVD Shrink is used by many, many people to rip DVD's, I'm guessing the problem is with your PC. It runs fine on every system I've ever owned. The only time I've run into problems is with newer copy protection schemes. I don't believe DVD Shrink has been updated in a few years.

Another alternative is DVD Fab HD. The free version will rip either the entire disc or just the movie with no compression. I'm using it almost exclusively now because it will handle the latest DVD protection schemes and I don't need the "shrink" functionality of DVD Shrink.

With regards to the original question though, as others have stated, I don't think you can play ripped dvd's on extenders (at least in their native format). Yes, you can play them in Media Center (MyMovies is the easiest way to enable this), but not on the actual extender.

Transcode 360 is a mess, IMO, so the only alternative is to encode the DVD's to a media center friendly file format. That takes alot of time and CPU resources.

This is exactly why I bought a Popcorn Hour instead of a MCE. It plays my ripped DVD's just as if I were using a standalone player in my living room.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nothing on my computer is malfunctioning whatsoever and I have slysoft to take care of any copy-protection...

That's great it works on your computer, you must have the magical combination of software/hardware...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure why DVD Shrink isn't working on your system as I have been using it for years as well on both XP and MCE. I use Anydvd like you for decription and I use Alcohol 120 for mounting the iso files.

I rip all of mine to iso files mainly because I keep copies of all my dvd's in the van for the kids to watch on the way to the cottage. Plus they tend to destroy dvd's way to quickly.

The one thing that I have noticed in the past is that DVD Shrink will do some funny things if the dvd has any damage at all, minor scratches, dirt and some times even finger smudges. Most of the time after I clean the dvd's they work.

But if like you are saying it is all of your dvd's maybe it is the drive that is giving you the problem?

Do you have Anydvd set up and turned on correctly? Is it updated, a new update came out today. DVD Shrink will not work if Anydvd is not set up correctly.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
it doesn't work - at all!

I think about half of the people who read this forum will disagree with you on that one. It's probably something to do with your current configuration somehow (anydvd running perhaps?)

HTPCs require a lot of time and patience to learn the ins and outs. Maybe you should switch to stand-alones, or at the very least do some research into your problem before claiming a widely used piece of software is a pile of crap. If you are up for the challenge and dislike media center, then why don't you try out one of the various other front ends that many of us use?

Don't forget, dvd shrink is free. If you think you can do better, then write your own dvd ripper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just for kicks -

try running Shrink without AnyDVD (or disable it). I've periodically encountered problems when both are active. I only run AnyDVD if it's a problematic disk...ie: newer encryption or for BDs.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/15101809

also, those registery hacks don't work either...

go figure, they are the same hacks as in "tweakmce" which just edits the registry while in media center... weak.

I should have bought a mac

Yes, they do. You are not doing them correctly.

Oh...and don't get me started on a Mac. If you think you can't do something on Windows...ha! wait till you go to a Mac, you will be able to do very little that Apple doesn't allow, and Apple allows very very little.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts