AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to get the X1 (after reading these boards, reviews, etc) but then was passing a store where they had the Mits WS-65869 displaying a High Def picture. It was pretty impressive. And ON SALE for $2400 (heavily discounted from 4-5K where it started). Now I'm torn.

I like the BIG PICTURE of projectors but I haven't seen one that gives the detail I saw today. I went to Harveys after seeing the Mits and looked at their expensive Runco in a showroom and it wasn't as sharp.. although it was a DVD and they had no HighDef for the projector to show.

I guess the question is will a pj like X1, being fed a high def signal, be as sharp as a rear projector set like the 65"Mits?

This Mits includes the tuner and has net command to control rest of equipent on screen.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am curious too and considering this pj. does anybody test the X1 with HDTV yet?

anyway, this is a review from projectorcentral.com; they should reviewed Z1 first however they had some problem with the production unit.

here's is their quote:

Speaking of HDTV, the X1’s rendering of 1080i is a thing of beauty. Not enough resolution here to do justice to HDTV you think? Think again. All we could do is look at the X1’s surprisingly clean image, shake our heads, and ask, "How much is this thing again?"

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
no, the x1 won't be as sharp with a HD signal. it doesn't have the resolution to look as good although I am guessing it looks damn good in its own right

Now for dvd, I bet they're damn close.

I say go for the projector. For less than half the price of the tv you will get one awesome looking projector that has a ton of versatility and bigger image. I'll never go back to RPTV....and I had one of the best RPTvs on the market!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
I'll never go back to RPTV....and I had one of the best RPTvs on the market!
Thanks for input.. I was wondering if you use your pj for regular TV viewing?

I'd be using it just for DVDs and some HDTV. I was leaning towards the RPTV now just because i could use if for DVDs, HD, and reg tv viewing.. but I still like Big Picture idea. Not sure how I set up a screen either.. would have to be a pull down I think.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Yes, I do use my pj (currntly the ae100 but z1 will replace it once i can get the ceiling mount for it) for regular TV viewing. How does it look you might wonder? Not that god but not that bad. BUt the ae100 is known to not have the great a deinteralcer/scaler inside and its s-video image is somewhat poor. I would guess that the x1 will have a much superior image for reg tv viewing.

Again, I can't recommend going front projection enough. It just adds to the overall experience and from a cost/performance basis, the current crop of of under 5K digital projectors kill RPTVs.

You don't *need* a screen although the image will be somewhat improved. However, the difference is not that big. I say it is better to get one but it is not needed right away.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
WRT HDTV on SVGA: I have an older Infocus SVGA machine, which I use with DVD's and HDTV. I often have the opportunity to see a program on HDNet and then later see the same program on RPTV and plasma machines in a local (well-maintained store).

An SVGA can do a very excellent job with HDTV. Often, I believe that I am seeing more detail in the SVGA machine than in the ostensibly higher resolution RPTV's.

Of course, a careful A/B test is really required. But I wouldn't discard the Infocus X1 because it is only SVGA.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith
... I wouldn't discard the Infocus X1 because it is only SVGA.
I agree whole-heartedly. Fed a good signal the PQ is incredible.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Gregg,

Comparing a $2,400 rear projection television to a $1,500 digital projector isn't exactly an even comparison. If you're prepared to spend almost $1,000 more for an RPTV, maybe you should compare it to a digijector with a comparable cost. For example, the Sony VPL-HS10, which has a street price around $2,500, has more than twice the pixel resolution of the X1 and a native 16:9 display like the RPTV you're considering.

Of course, there are some comparisons that are simply impossible for RPTV technology to overcome. For me, the visual impact of a screen that's measured diagonally in feet versus inches was what convinced me to buy my first digital projector two years ago (that, and the fact that it would have been impossible to fit a 300 pound rear projection monster through the door to my attic home theater).

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
Comparing a $2,400 rear projection television to a $1,500 digital projector isn't exactly an even comparison. If you're prepared to spend almost $1,000 more for an RPTV, maybe you should compare it to a digijector with a comparable cost.
You're of course right. In my mind I was adding in extra costs of a front projection.. like a screen (will have to be from pulldown from cieling), long cables and adapters, etc.

But am leaning back towards pj ... now i wish they give you a year to pay free interest/payments like mits is doing!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If you are willing to settle for a fixed screen, you can go the DIY route and build a very serviceable projection surface for very little dough. I built my own projection screen from blackout curtain material (opaque white canvas-like material used to create draperies that don't let in light... you can buy the stuff at most fabric stores) stretched over a wood frame that I built in one evening. It looked very nice and total cost in materials was less than $150. Check out the AVS Screens forum and you will find a bazillion posts on DIY screens.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Gregg,

If you don't want to go the DIY route for the screen you can get anything from not far from $100 for an 80" wide Matte White pull-down to maybe not far from $200 for a pull down gray screen from Da-Lite (although these just came out and some of us are having issues with getting them flat) to multiple thousands of dollars. Of course, the bigger the screen the higher the cost and getting the frame painted black (which I suggest for most setups) is a little bit extra. You can find list prices at Da-Lite's site and figure some discount from there. If you're looking for the best price/service for these screens I suggest talking to one of the AVScience guys who you can find on the screens forum.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would sacrifice a bit of image quality for the absence of the big RPTV box in the room. I currently have a 50 inch RPTV. I still don't know what I'm going to do with it when it's time to get rid of it. I'll need a truck unless I pay somebody to take it away. An Infocus X1 is only 7 pounds, and probably looks a hundred times better than my old RPTV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.