AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 50 ft of RCA audio and 50 ft S video cable that I plan to run from my Directv receiver in the living room to the bed room but going through the attic is not an option

Anyhow I'm wanting to run it outside via the font porch then back into the house in the bedroom without going out and in the windows . I have dry wall inside and brick exterior

anyone go any ideas?

drilling small holes for cable would be fine but I'd like it to be neat and no air flow

also I have siding around the porch so I'd like to run the bale outside without messing the siding up, tucking the cables behind the siding would work but cutting/drilling holes into the siding would not

this probably is in the wrong forum oops
I'll learn where stuff belongs, that's of different places here LOL

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to run some RG6 coax with a splitter off of your DTV line out? That is how I would do it. I doubt that your S video and RCA cable will last long in an outdoor environment.

Or, you could use Cat5 and baluns inside the house, like this http://www.avovercat5.com/products/avosva2.htm

Myself, a splitter and coax would be the way to go and will withstand outdoor usage for years to come. And your hole will not have to be quite as large as you are only running one small coax.

And you can get the splitter from any hardware or big box store. My local Lowes, Home Depot and ACO hardware carries them for around $4.

Mike

On Edit: I just looked behind my DTV HD box, and no coax out? So, if all of the DTV boxes are now like this, the coax splitter idea is out. I would now lean heavily towards the Cat5 and baluns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/15580053

Wouldn't it be easier to run some RG6 coax with a splitter off of your DTV line in? That is how I would do it. I doubt that your S video and RCA cable will last long in an outdoor environment.

Or, you could use Cat5 and baluns inside the house, like this http://www.avovercat5.com/products/avosva2.htm

Myself, a splitter and coax would be the way to go and will withstand outdoor usage for years to come. And your hole will not have to be quite as large as you are only running one small coax.

And you can get the splitter from any hardware or big box store. My local Lowes, Home Depot and ACO hardware carries them for around $4.

Mike

as for the cable weathering it's gonna be run all the overhand so not really exposed to the elements other than heat and cold

I'm running HDMI to my main TV , of course the HD receiver doesn't have coax outputs and I don't wnat to continue paying the mirroring fee for the 2nd receiver

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/15580053

Wouldn't it be easier to run some RG6 coax with a splitter off of your DTV line in? That is how I would do it. I doubt that your S video and RCA cable will last long in an outdoor environment.

Mike

the cable gonna be run all along the overhang so not really exposed to the elements other than heat and cold

I'm running HDMI to my main TV , of course the HD receiver doesn't have coax outputs and I don't want to continue paying the mirroring fee for the 2nd receiver

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead76 /forum/post/15580149

as for the cable weathering it's gonna be run all the overhand so not really exposed to the elements other than heat and cold

I'm running HDMI to my main TV , of course the HD receiver doesn't have coax outputs and I don't wnat to continue paying the mirroring fee for the 2nd receiver

Do you have carpeting or wood floors? Thinking if you have carpet you could run your cables under it at the wall by the base board. Or directly behind the baseboard. But that might be a little too much work, I would rather crawl in my attic than pull mouldings.

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/15580214

Do you have carpeting or wood floors? Thinking if you have carpet you could run your cables under it at the wall by the base board. Or directly behind the baseboard. But that might be a little too much work, I would rather crawl in my attic than pull mouldings.

Mike

never though of that

may look into it, that way I could avoid any outside issues

as for the attic very funny trust me that place is a death trap!!!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hard to tell the best way to do what you want without seeing what we have to work with.

It is easy to hide cable behind siding with the right tools. Lowes, Home depot or other building/hardware store should have a siding puller. That is if you have vinyl siding. The puller itself is around $4 and will save your fingers. You will need a hammer drill to get through the brick. If you don't have one, you can rent one. Just make sure you have the right bit and tell the rental outfit what you are drilling through, as there are different drills for the job. And you will need a good sized bit to make a hole big enough to get your cable ends through. And the drill bits ain't cheap for the size of hole you will need, unless you already have one.

If you don't have any of the above, I would seriously consider the Cat5 and baluns, because it will probably be cheaper to do in the end. That is what I would do, and I have all of the needed tools, including the masonry drill bits.

Mike

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead76 /forum/post/15580242

never though of that

may look into it, that way I could avoid any outside issues

as for the attic very funny trust me that place is a death trap!!!

Death trap! HA HA! That is why we have son in laws!

Mike

·
Registered
6,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/15580339

Death trap! HA HA! That is why we have son in laws!

Mike

From a SIL,

This is why we have FIL's! My FIL is fearless and is not scared of any ole attic.

Regards,

RTROSE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts