AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up guys, I'm new to these forums but I lurk here at times whenever I need some simple av answers. But lately, I've been wondering what to do with my next issue.

Behind my wall-mounted HDTV, there is a hidden pipe behind the wall made specifically for cables to run through. The problem is that the inner diameter of that pipe is 7/8" thick, which is extremely thin. As of right now, I am only running a coaxial cable for the cable box since no other cables seem to fit otherwise.

I simply only need three cables to run through that pipe: HDMI, coaxial, and optical (toslink). I'm having a difficult time finding an HDMI cable with a head that's thin enough. I've already ordered a thin coaxial cable made by philips, and I'll most likely just get a regular toslink cable from monoprice.

I've definitely thought about cutting an HDMI cable, slipping it through with the other two cables, and reattaching it by resolder/heat shrink the wires as the cheapest solution. Tearing down the wall and replacing the pipe with a bigger one is not an option.

What do you guys suggest? I also think that HDMI through a cat5e/6 is too expensive.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The odds of any of us cutting and splicing an HDMI cable and then having it function correctly are very close to zero.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myeeek /forum/post/20819573

I simply only need three cables to run through that pipe: HDMI, coaxial, and optical (toslink).

Is this pipe only feeding the TV or to components as well?

Quote:
I've definitely thought about cutting an HDMI cable, slipping it through with the other two cables, and reattaching it by resolder/heat shrink the wires as the cheapest solution.

Yeah, stop thinking about that option...

Quote:
What do you guys suggest?

HDMI-over-Cat5 baluns.

Quote:
I also think that HDMI through a cat5e/6 is too expensive.

Oh...

Try a $20 solution? If you can cram the parts behind the TV (ditch the wall plate, just use the guts):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Jeff

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can you fit the HDMI if it were the only cable? If so, pull out your cable, fish the HDMI, then once the fat head is through fish the rest of the skinnier wires. May want to pull a piece of something skinny and strong ( like heavy duty fishin line or a single 18g speaker wire) along with the HDMI to make pulling the other wires easier later.

Or just cut for a new low voltage plate at the top and bottom and run the HDMI separately - assuming you stay in the same stud cavity.

C.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20821571

Is Rapid Run still selling their cables? You pull the cable then attach the HDMI connector later.

That's the one I couldn't remember! It would fit the bill, although the bill is going to be higher than the OP is going to like...

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions. jautor, thanks for the help, I'll definitely look in to that wallplate. For some reason, I usually associate any HDMI-cat with the one from gefen for $700 LOL.

And no, of all the hdmi cables I have, all the heads are too big for the pipe. And yes, Rapidrun is still too expensive haha.

Once again thanks guys!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any possibility to change the pipe? I mean is it a straight run up into the attic or down into the basement? You may be able to pull the pipe and either replace it with a larger one or just leave the cables run in the open wall cavity. Put a nice "old work" low voltage drywall ring and wall plate in and you're done.

If possible, attach a cable or pull string to the pipe and pull it out one end or another.

Even if you could pull it out a foot, cut off some pipe and pull out another foot would get the pipe out without damaging the walls. Or even detach it from both ends and just "drop" it into the wall cavity. Any holes which the pipe passes will be sized to the OD of the pipe and a larger than the ID.

Or course any elbows and it's impossible without at least sticking a saw blade through the drywall which is risky at best.....also if there's any elbows the inside diameter IN the elbows is probably smaller than 7/8" too if you leave the pipe.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I think you could carefully grind down the edges of an HDMI plug jacket and make it fit. The plug shell should fit and the plug is mostly molded plastic.

Won't be pretty, but it is hidden behind equipment.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I ran about 7 cables from my stand to my wall mounted plasma last weekend. The run was only about 3' in the wall but I just used cut-in boxes. I cut a hole behind the plasma and another behind the stand. Cut the back off the cut in boxes and mounted them in the walls and ran the cables. You can get face plates to mount to the boxes and it'll look all professional, of course you can't see it with the equipment in place anyway. Cost $6. With a pipe that small, I'd do what I did...but that's just me!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think we were all assuming that the pipe was there for a reason and that it wasn't just a 3 ft run between the same two studs. But I guess we don't really know. The OP never mentioned how long the run was only that he was trying to use the pipe.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jackals /forum/post/20827880

I think we were all assuming that the pipe was there for a reason and that it wasn't just a 3 ft run between the same two studs. But I guess we don't really know. The OP never mentioned how long the run was only that he was trying to use the pipe.

I agree the pipe probably was there to run wires...but who ever installed such a small pipe wasn't looking out for the home owner as it's pretty useless. A TV can have so many connections not even the wires themselves would fit in that.

Doesn't really matter how long it is as long as it's stays in between the studs...i've run several cables this way, even going through the top plate of the wall and into other rooms. My HTPC is in the office and I have 75' of cables run upstairs and into the wall of my HT terminating into cutout boxes...looks like a pro did it..heck this is what pros do anyway when installing in a wall aleady finished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, I was able to get it to all work. Removing the drywall just to replace the pipe wiring wasn't an option just because... well simply I don't want to take down the wall and do other construction work hehe.

I ended up going the cat6-hdmi route from monoprice, using two 5ft cat6 cables in the pipe with regular HDMI cables. This is the primary connection between my receiver and TV, so I can switch between devices. The toslink and coaxial cables are about 12ft to reach from the tv down to my receiver.

I was just concerned about what cables I could squeeze through the thin pipe. For the longest time, I've had all cables exposed but they are now hidden. Dumb me didn't think earlier about using the receiver for switching devices hehe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.