AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samsung HLN507W is connected to a Time Warner Digital Cable box and to Power and also to a Denon AVR5700 for some video inputs. With the TV and all attached items powered off, I am not able to access the Samsung HLN service menu when I follow the procedure: "With the TV off, press Mute-1-8-2-Power in sequence." Instead I get a dimly lighted blank screen for about 4 seconds followed by a black screen with "AIR 3" overlayed upon it. I believe the "AIR 3" wording always appears whenever the Time Warner Cable Box is powered off. Any suggestions what to try will be appreciated. I want to findout the Sammy's firmware level.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
You can try this method from power on and a working input selected.

You could also try removing some of your components. Are you connected to the wall for power. You just said "power".

Any one using these suggestions should know that I am passing on the wisdom of others and that I have no personal knowledge of the Samsung DLP TVs. I'm still waiting.

On the other hand I can recommend, without any reservations, recording all original SM settings before making changes.

****** Thanks to LCH for a clearer explanation than the one I wrote. 09/02/2003 ******

Turn Melody off in the user menu (allows entering the Service Menu from power On state without using a lamp cycle).

With the set ON, press Power-Mute-1-8-2-Power in quick succession.

(If the set is already off, just do Mute-1-8-2-Power )

The service menu should appear for the input you were viewing before keying the above sequence.

While in the service menu, you can change inputs with the TV/Video button to view the SM for other modes.

Use the CH up, CH down & select keys to navigate the Service Menu. Press MENU to return to the main Service Menu after viewing individual functions.

Later, you will use the VOL(+) & VOL(-) keys to change the SM values.

To Exit the SM, power off. Leave it off for several(30) seconds. (until all cooling activity is complete)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried your suggestion and still get the same results as I originally described. The Sammy is plugged directly into a wall power outlet. I must be doing something wrong and don't want to take a chance on messing anything up. At least I get a picture. Frankly I don't know what a service menu looks like, except that the firmware level is supposed to be shown at the bottom of the screen.

I filed for the $200 field upgrade with Samsung before the upgrade offer expired (for the discrete codes), but have not heard from them except an August 1 acknowledgement confirming my request. All I wanted to do was determine if my firmware was at 214 or later. I wanted to get the discrete codes so that the A/V company I'm hiring can program the IR control system.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
You should go to the latest messages in the "Samsung upgrade" thread and get the latest Samsung upgrade contact information. There have been a lot of mistakes that they are correcting now.

Also, I think there were a few sets that wouldn't allow access to the SM. I believe that was just before version 214 was released. Your upgrade should solve the SM problem too.

It's a catch-22 if you call and complain to Samsung that you can't get into the SM, but any repair involving access to the SM would cause them to have to fix it anyway.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HTWAITS I greatly appreciate you taking the time to further respond. I bought this set in July 2003 so I suspect it could well be one on those pre-214 with a service menu access problem. I will check out the Samsung Ungrade thread in greater detail from the most recent post back to earliest. Possibly there are others still waiting for their upgrade as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may be punching in the code too fast. It can take a while to get the hang of it. Take your time and make sure there is a split second pause between each button press. You can do it slower than you might expect...it took a number of tries and now it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the other hand, I suspect that you might do it a little too slow. But as BKanter suggested, once you get the hang of it, you will find it pretty easy. All it takes is the right rhytm. ;)

Next step is to practice on how to view the rainbow. :p

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried lots of rhythm changes to get the service menu to display to no avail. Have not noticed rainbows yet, but did notice a dark area in the lower right corner of the screen during that initial 4 secound pause while I guess the service menu is trying to display. Fortunately, I did not notice that dark area when there was a TV picture on the screen....

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
One more thing to try. Be sure you are fairly close and pointing the remote right at the center of the screen. Also, after keying as fast as you can be sure to wait a minute before you conclude that it's not going to work.

When all else fails, make sure you get the upgrade you ordered or find reflections or audio out of lip sync. One way or another you need a new version of the firmware and the card that contains it.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
One more one more thing. Check your remote on another Samsung DLP just to be sure your method is right and all the remote buttons you need are working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.