AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me regarding the following:

About a week ago, my Samsung HLN437 DLP started displaying a line that runs vertically down the right side of the screen (approximately 4 inches when in widescreen mode). The line is totally black (indicating to me that the chip's mirrors might be stuck in the "off" position on this vertical position) and about 5-8 pixels wide.

The line appears on all sources, and moves when I switch between wide and standard (4:3) viewing modes. This tells me that it is not a problem with a specific part of the screen or anything.

I have done some research on this site, but haven't found any discussions of this specific problem. Is this a common problem? Is there a potential fix?

I am out of time on my warranty - so calling in a technician is something I would prefer to avoid if at all possible. If a technician is required, (I acknowledge the likelihood of this) are we talking new light engine, new DLP chip, etc.? If so, how much is this looking to set me back.

Thanks for the responses.

(More)Dim(less)witty

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how much the light engine costs, but if the bulb itself is $200.00 the light engine must run a lot more than that. I do know that when the digital and analog boards were replaced in my HLN437W1, the parts cost under warranty was around $700! The DMD module and light engine were also changed out over the last few months, but I don't know the cost of those. I have an extended warranty with my retailer so I am covered if anything else goes wrong, and I can get a new TV if the same problem occurs at least 3 times.

I would call Samsung and tell them the problem, also mention you are out of warranty, and see what they quote you. Then make a decision on the worth of paying the bucks for the repair or buying another set and getting an extended warranty. If you have more problems with your current Sammy without a warranty you will wind up spending more than what it cost you to buy the damn thing, guaranteed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.