AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal. I just switched from E* to D*. I previously had a E* 6000 receiver and two dishes. I installed it all myself with no problems. So that makes my current problems with the D* stuff that much more frustrating.

I just got a Hughes E86 and the 18x24 dish. Wired it all up and mounted the dish. Mast is plumb. Wires were all connected with the system unplugged. I get NO signal strength. It says "0". What's the problem? I checked all my cables to make sure I have no shorts. None of the little wires are touching the center conductor in any of my connections. I even shortened one of my cable runs in case it was too long.

I checked all the places I have connections between the Multiswitch and the receiver. I took the multiswitch out of the loop and went directly to the receiver from one of the LNB's.

Can you have too many breaks in the cable? The cable runs from the Switch on the back of the dish to a diplexer. From there to a place in the attic where a splitter used to be, but that's just an "F" connector now. There to a wall plate. From the wall plate to a splitter, and then into the box. Is that too many breaks in the cabling? I'm at a loss. Someone help me?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Are you aimed at the satellites? Sounds like a dumb question, but until you hit a transponder, you will get zero signal strength. It's very easy to be off a few degrees when the target is that far away. Either get someone to watch the TV for a signal, turn the volume way up, or use a cordless or cell phone with another phone next to the tv. When you have your dish at the exact prescribed settings, move it slightly up, down and sideways listening for increasing tones. The eliptical dish also requires a slight tilt. I would simplify my connections until I was assured solid contact with the sats.

Terry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, all mount settings were correct. I tried all over the place. Moved az back and forth 10 degrees each way. el up and down 3 degrees each way. I didn't change tilt. Was under the impression that that shouldn't be fiddled with.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier.. In the E86 dish setup menus, there is a place to auto-config. I did that several times and it could never detect my switch. Is this a problem? There was no mention of it in the E86 manual.

I did a direct connection to the box from the back of LNB A. No dice. I thought maybe it was the box, but I also have a cheapie Sony box in the bedroom and I get nothing on this either.

Thanks for the reply. Any ideas are appreciated. I'm fresh out.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
ou4me

Welcome to AVS!

There are hundreds of threads like this one with many solutions. Hate to say this but do a search under oval dish .

As far a too many splices, could be. I would drag a TV outside to help with the dish alignment.

Dave

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Last year I switched from E* to D* and had the same problem. I spent an entire weekend checking and re-checking connections and dish pointing. Finally I pulled out my Radio Shack voltage meter and checked the coax at the dish. 0 volts. I was expecting 13V or 18V DC. I started checking each connection back towards the receiver and still 0V. It turned out that the center conductor on the connection to the receiver was too short. I put a new connector on and had a strong signal within five minutes.

-Robert

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Robert. I have been working on this for several days now and I have isolated two problems. The first is in my cabling somewhere. When I ran a direct cable to the dish from the receiver, I get a weak signal. And the second problem is the reason for the weak signal. I believe my dish is mounted to low and I'm getting a partial block from a tall house two blocks over. I thought it was fine, but I went up about 5 degrees above the elevation I was supposed to be at and I get a weak signal. When I go back down to where it's supposed to be, it fades out. Would seem that has to be interference from that house.

How much is one of those voltage testers? And I can get that at any Radio Shack? Seems like that might be nice to have to find my signal break, if it's not too expensive.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome David. I've been reading for a long time, but just recently stared posting.

- Eric

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I believe my dish is mounted to low and I'm getting a partial block from a tall house two blocks over. I thought it was fine, but I went up about 5 degrees above the elevation I was supposed to be at and I get a weak signal. When I go back down to where it's supposed to be, it fades out.
It sounds like your mast isn't quite plumb. The settings the receiver gives you are only good if you have a plumb mast. Either straighten the mast or go back to 5 degrees above the suggested elevation and get the weak signal again. Start to sweep back and forth a few degrees. Once you find the direction with the strongest signal, raise and lower the elevation. Tighten the bolts when you have a strong signal.

If the house two blocks away is over 7 or eight stories, then you may have a problem but if it is a normal house you shouldn't be getting interference.

Quote:
How much is one of those voltage testers? And I can get that at any Radio Shack?
I got mine at Radio Shack about 15 years ago for under $20. Even Home Depot has some neat looking digital ones for under $20.

-Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.