AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just set-up my equipment after a move to a new home...

I plug in the old NEC VT45 and AAACCCKKKKK!!!!

I have what appear to be two scan lines running from top to bottom at intervals of a couple seconds.

I never had this problem before and my equipment is still the same that I had set up in the old place.

I have tried both component and svhs inputs...same problem so it must be the projector and not the signal.

Has anyone out there ever run into and succesfully corrected this issue?

Could it be a power-related issue?

Thanks.

JEFinCLT

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are these slow moving bars rolling up the screen, sometimes in pairs? If so, you've got hum bars. There have been numerous threads started about this. Do a search for hum bars.

It's an electrical noise issue. I fixed mine by upgrading my component cable to a heavily insulated one from Ram Electronics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I removed the power cord from a surge protector that I was using (along with my other equipment), and plugged it into a seperate receptical.

This seems to have fixed the problem for the time being.

I appreciate the repsonse and will do some reading on 'hum bars".

Thanks...

JEFatCLT

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info re: "hum bars", etc. I was able to track the cause of the interference to the dimmer switches I have installed throughout the house.

I ended up getting a Monster Power HT1000 Powerstrip and Line Conditioner at BB on a whim.

It worked....absolutely no interference lines.

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Glad to help. Actually, I'm still seeing a little bit in my video. I think I may try your suggestion of the HT1000. Seems like a good fit for my system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi all, well, I saw JEFatCLT's response to a similar inquiry I made (slightly noticeable horizontal bars moving bottom to top in very 'dark' scenes) and I'm definitely going to at least try a Monster product at this point, but since my BenQ projector is the sole device on the power strip I intend to replace with a Monster product, I only need a very simple power strip/surge/conditioner (nothing with coax protection or gobs of outlets).

So, I've been poking around Monster's web site to find a product that would seem to suit my needs, but of course they have 'version 1' AND 'version 2' of their "Clean Power" offerings, so I guess I'm going to start with the "PowerCenter AV 200" which has 2 outlets and 'version 1' of Clean Power (oh, brother---it figures they have both v1 and v2 and one of the super-duper high end ones has v4 of it!).

Hopefully 'v1' will solve my (barely-noticeable-but-bothers-me-regardless) horizontal bars / hum bars / ground loop problem where the display is concerned. Fortunately, my audio is perfect (no buzz/hum whatsoever even during quietest scenes). Happy HT-ing, all!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Correction to my last post: Monster has "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" (and even "Stage 4") ---- seems every flavor of those is now "Version 2".

Versions. Stages. Hopefully it's not much more beyond marketing hype and not discernible diffs between line noise reduction/conditioning technology. Anyway... think I'll go clean the pool while waiting for my little AV200 to ship! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.