AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am embarrassed to even ask...

The situation is that I have a small room with a 46" LCD. And I intend to get a system that can be used at a later point in time in a bigger room. (that's the key)

The size of the room : 9 x 10

What I am looking for : something that will give me a 5.1 experience and wont clutter the room with wires.

What I am debating : 3.1 or 5.1 system

Options I have considered (but I really want input on these or others that I have not considered) :

1. Yamaha YSP-4100 (virtual 5.1 soundbar)

2. Yamaha YSP-5100 (virtual 5.1 soundbar)

3. Vizio VSB210WS (I know this is a 2.1 soundbar system - with wirelss sub, but great value)

4. Vizio (upcoming) wireless 5.1 system (just announced, but should also be good value)

5. Other sound bar options

What is important to me :

1. clean, good quality sound

2. less than $1200 (this almost eliminates the Yamaha's)

PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINION...considering I want to have as wire-free as possible... would you go the soundbar route? virtual 5.1 soundbar? wireless 5.1 speakers? or just stick with a 3.1 system? Specific reommendations greatly appreciated !

THANKS. (go gentle!
)

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you're looking for surround effects with minimal wires (mostly just from your sources to the receiver) then a sound bar will probably work, especially if the room is enclosed. In rooms that are open to other rooms, the sound doesn't bounce off the walls as well to simulate surround sound and you're left with just the front sounds.

A 3.1 won't have surround effects, but 90% or so of the soundtrack (depends on the movie) will come from the fronts. Another option is to do 5.1 with a Rocketfish wireless kit. It won't eliminate all the wires, but it limits them to and from the rear receiving unit and the rear speakers. It will cost $100 for the kit.

For $1200 you can probably invest in a killer 3.1 system and then just add two surround speakers later when you get a bigger room. Pick up a solid Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha/Harman-Kardon receiver with the features you want and spend the bulk on speakers. (You get more out of spending more on speakers than receivers, IMO.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts