Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to finalize my projector and screen purchase.

I will get Sharp PG-M20X. As for the screen, well, is a bit complex.

The screen-project distance would be around 11.5 feet. The projector will be 9 feet off the floor, is that too high?

I'm shopping around for screen now. I'm just wondering, should I get the gray screen or matte white? I don't want anything more than 1.3 gain. I heard that the black in M20X is not black enought, that's why I'm considering those gray screen.

If I were to go for gray screen, should I get "Square" or "Video", look that the following urls:

Square format

Video format

I will be using it with my HTPC. I'm only interested in manul-pull down for cost issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am getting a 4:3 white screen. I'm not sure what you would use a square screen for since all types of displays are wider than a square

·
Registered
98 Posts
kc

Although you did not indicate the size of the screen you were considering you will find that the M20X is pretty bright and if you will have a good degree of ambient light control I don't think a gray or silver screen would be a disadvantage. I have a home made matte white 16:9 screen now with that projector and find that white will reflect ambient light back easily. I am considering a silver screen redo of my present screen as noted in the screen forum. As to the shape, the M20X will put a 1.33 image in the center of a 16:9 screen when you hit the resize button on the remote. I would base the screen shape on what you plan on watching most.

·
Registered
645 Posts
KC,

me again. I got a Da-lite Matte white Model B screen. Quite nice except that the edges where the sreen is clamped in the weighted tube on its bottom are a bit torn out over time. This causes a slight ripple but is hardly noticeable during viewing. It depends on what you like to watch. My screen is 16x9 because I only watch widesrceen dvd's. If ever I need to watch 4x3 I don't bother with the tube on the bottom that cuts through my image a little when I let it project on the white wall behind it. I find that in my totally white room with all lights off, quite a lot of light gets reflected back on the screen and I am sure with a black room my contrast would be better. That said even with a little light coming from the kitchen behind or even during daytime the thing is still watchable just not cinemalike.

I've recently seen a Sony CRT pj driven with theatertek on a rather small 82 inch screen. I was sooo jealous. What a great smooth image with absolutely zero pixelation. I must admit that I am very satisfied with the M20 but if I wear my glasses I can see pixel structure at 12 feet in bright scenes. At thirteen feet I don't see them anymore. But the CRT image was definitely better, no question. I am using a Pio 47a over component and progressive.

Till

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.